PDA

View Full Version : Cortisone injection for shoulder

shulaw05
04-19-2007, 07:43 AM
I am thinking of asking for a cortisone injection tomorrow when i go to the doctor. i hurt my shoulder about 6 months ago. the doctor and physical therapist think i have a shoulder impingement/rotator cuff impingement. i have a full range of motion, but pain when i try to do any pressing exercises (bench/incline bench/shoulder press). there is no pain on any other exercises. first my dr. put me on mobic for 6 weeks, which did not help. then i went through 6 weeks of physical therapy, which moved the pain from the top of my shoulder to the side of my shoulder. anyway, he told me that if physcial therapy didn't work (which it didn't) that he would give me a cortisone injection. my question is, if i get the injection, do i have to take any time away from the gym, or will i be able to go back in a day or two? thanks in advance for any help.

Wilde
04-19-2007, 08:16 AM
cortisone is a waste of time, it doesn't fix the problem it just hides the pain while the injury gets worse.

shulaw05
04-19-2007, 08:17 AM
any thoughts on how to fix the impingement then if PT didn't work?

smcomplx
04-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Wilde is correct with the shot hiding the pain. I'm not a doc but have been in your shoes 4 years ago. I had shoulder impingment which would cause pain with bench press and pushups. PT only strengthens the secondary muscles for the rotator cuff and may not cure the underlying cause. However, it is the first step with this situation. Seeing how you have done PT for 6 weeks or more I would request an MRI with dye contrast to see if there is a tear in tissues. If surgery is needed , I wont lie it's painful and about a month recovery with anywhere from 6 months to a year of strength training and home PT to regain strength...BUT if you listen to the therapist and keep on your training your shoulder should be strong again but remember you are not superman and it can be damaged again and you'll remember what you had to go thru to overcome the first surgery to avoid it. hope it helps and good luck.

chassc
04-19-2007, 08:38 PM
I am thinking of asking for a cortisone injection tomorrow when i go to the doctor. i hurt my shoulder about 6 months ago. the doctor and physical therapist think i have a shoulder impingement/rotator cuff impingement. i have a full range of motion, but pain when i try to do any pressing exercises (bench/incline bench/shoulder press). there is no pain on any other exercises. first my dr. put me on mobic for 6 weeks, which did not help. then i went through 6 weeks of physical therapy, which moved the pain from the top of my shoulder to the side of my shoulder. anyway, he told me that if physcial therapy didn't work (which it didn't) that he would give me a cortisone injection. my question is, if i get the injection, do i have to take any time away from the gym, or will i be able to go back in a day or two? thanks in advance for any help.

i have had 2 cortison injections in my shoulder and was pleased w/ the results. In regards to masking the pain - I have always believed that cortisone was only a mask, but my dr. told me that the shoulder is the one place where cotisone injections actually help in healing. now, there are probably plenty of guys on the site who are much smarter than me that will shoot down what i said, but just wanted to share my experience. best of luck.

Fleshka
04-20-2007, 10:57 AM
they keep trying to tell me to get a cortisone shot but i wont.

it brings inflammation down. some people think the decrease in inflammation and more rest will allow it to heal.

i am skeptical. healing process does involve an inflammatory process. in my case i have full range motion as well. been almost 3 months and the pain is just under my AC joint.

i am doing physical therapy but so far it does nothing.

smcomplx
04-20-2007, 01:49 PM
cortisone reduces inflammation just like motrin. shoulder injuries suck and take a long time to recover from because they are the most complex joint in the body. i had full range of motion but pressure on the joint caused pain. if anyone takes any advice from this section is not to push thru pain in shoulders. get it checked don't be a stud and ignore it. if your body says 'OW!' then there is something wrong. can't be much of an animal in the gym if you cant lift the weights. again, i'm not doctor but i've been thru it. good luck with the healing

shulaw05
04-20-2007, 03:08 PM
i'm holding off on the cortisone shot. i am going to go to see an orthopedist next week and see what they think.

jcff
04-23-2007, 04:33 AM
can you take fish oil when you had a cortisone shot? or any joint supps to avoid?