PDA

View Full Version : Hyper-Lordosis or Swayback

LordGryn
04-19-2007, 01:34 AM
I have a rather bad case of Hyper-Lordosis or Swayback..

I'm posting in hopes that someone may be familiar with this condition of the spine.

If not here is a brief explanation: http://www.espalda.org/english/divulgativa/dolor/causas/alteraciones/hiperlordosis.asp

Anyway .. It affects my training as I have to be really careful to avoid unnecessary stress on my back in standing positions for example deadlifts are completely out of the question.

I especially experience pain when I play soccer for example - then i have the feeling like my spine is being pulled down towards my legs and I was reading a bit about this and apparently its the ischiotibial muscles as explained at the bottom of this page: http://www.espalda.org/english/divulgativa/como_es_funciona/muscular.asp

I found that working my abs helped a lot as well as a bit of lower back muscle workouts.

But basically I think that my short ischiotibial muscles are the problem

It says if the ischiotibial muscles are shortened, the lumbar area is consistently arched more than normal - which is known as lordosis - and may result in paravertebral muscle contraction.

Is anyone atleast familiar with this muscle, and how to maybe stretch it??

I appreciate any help, and I'm considering getting my back xrayed and then getting professional help. I'm 20 now and I've had this since around when I was 13 but the doctors I've been too just kept telling me its withing the norm which I highly doubt... thanks again

someguy20
04-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Try the illopsoas muscles, hip flexors stretch, strengthen your hammies as well as your core although its probly strong enough.

oziem
04-19-2007, 05:50 PM
A common cause is an ilium of the plevis is torqued externally at the sacroiliac joint causing the spine to compensate.
I have corrected more than a few of these.

HALON
04-19-2007, 07:42 PM
You need to learn how to keep a neurtral spine. try this link, also look into pilates exercises.

http://www.wellbridge.com/wellbridge/cambridge/pulse.php?ID=9

LordGryn
04-20-2007, 02:23 AM
A common cause is an ilium of the plevis is torqued externally at the sacroiliac joint causing the spine to compensate.
I have corrected more than a few of these.

WHat do you mean when you say you have corrected more than a few of these? You're a chiropractor?

Also do you recommend I get an xray?

ravadongon
04-20-2007, 03:09 AM
From what I've read the lordosis (anterior pelvic tilt) is caused by tight, overactive hip flexors, quadriceps and lower back and weak, inactive gluteals, hamstrings and abs. So design a program based around strengthening the gluteals, hamstrings and abs and flexbility work for the hip flexors, quads and lower back.

Read lots of Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson articles at t-nation. Neanderthal No More series, Hips Don't Lie, Get your Butt into Gear series, Core training For Smart Folks and High Performance Core Training are all must reads.

absolutelove
04-21-2007, 12:38 AM
i have the same thing. what ravadongon stated is perfectly correct.

ervisivv
03-20-2016, 01:58 PM
hi man, had you fix lordosis doing exercises??