PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Sprain

sfgiants13
04-18-2007, 08:40 PM
During a volleyball match I had last Thursday, I landed on someone's foot and screwed my ankle (sprained it I think). I couldn't walk until Sunday, and later Monday afternoon I could walk comfortably without crutches. My 3 middle toes are bruised completely to the nail, and a lot of bruising on top of the foot. There is also bruising on the inside and running up my leg on the outter part. My ankle is so swolen I can't move it a whole lot. My ankle is literally twice it's normal size from the swelling. It doesn't hurt, but I can't jump, etc. All I can do is walk normally and maybe a SLIGHT jog/waddle. Now, I need to be back by Tuesday, but even our trainer isn't even sure on how long I'm out because she said she's never seen an ankle so swolen. I have people come up to me all the time because I hear "OMG!!! Are you sure anything isn't broken? I had a friend who looked the same and blah blah blah..."

Basically, what can I do to try and get back as quick as possible? I am doing stuff with our school trainer, but what should I do at home?

BradleyS
04-18-2007, 09:57 PM
I rolled my ankle running in someone's front lawn while working, cracked my fifth metatarsal in the process. it wasn't pretty, I remember the snap sound

but anyway, what I had to do...was simply keep it elevated. If you don't do it already, keep it higher then your body when you sit down. Grab a few pillows, rest your foot on something, and put them under your foot when you are sitting down to keep the foot elevated. Doing this will help the blood flow, or so the doctor told me. Ice is good, ibuprofein is good, but time is the best bet.

You say you need to be back by tuesday...I doubt that will be happen. Not to be an ass, but I doubt you could be back by tuesday with flying colors. Don't risk hurting yourself any further.

HALON
04-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Did you even apply R.I.C.E.

First get to your doctor and get an x-ray done, see if you have broken anything or torn a tendon. My friend injured his ankle in basketball, never got diagnosed by a doctor, Its been 4 years now still not 100%.

sfgiants13
04-19-2007, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I've been doing rice. But, I haven't been home all too much lately (been REALLY busy) so I haven't been able to elevate my foot a whole lot (but I still do it each day). I went to the doctors and they said nothing was broken, but I was told I was going to get it re-checked once the swelling goes down (if that ever happens lol...it's been swolen like this since last Thursday).