PDA

View Full Version : extremely frustrated

galore
04-18-2007, 12:03 PM
I just do not know where to vent this crap so I am going to do it here.

I have always been prone to injury for some reason and because of this I put together a workout routine that consisted of lifting weights 2x a week. THATS IT. 2 TIMES A WEEK. I figured that this would dramatically help prevent injuries as I would have ample time to recover.

Day1: back and shoulders, abs, lower back

4 sets of bent over db rows.... light weight 20 reps
4 sets of pull ups....only 1-3 per set
4 sets of one arm rows.... light weight 20 reps
4 sets of overhead db presses.... light weight 20 reps (while sitting on exercise ball)
4 sets of ab work and lower back work

Day 2:

4 sets db chest presses.... light weight 20 reps (I bring the dbs down only until my arms are parallel to the floor)
4 sets incline db chest press....light weight 20 reps (I bring the dbs down only until my arms are parallel to the floor)
4 sets "girl pushups" 20 reps and I only go down until my upper arm is parallel to the floor
4 sets abs
4 sets lower back

I do stretching in between sets also... I work out on wed. and sat. so that there is ample rest.

I have been getting pain in the front of my right shoulder.... it is not substantial pain but it is there and I know that it will get worse if I do not address it.

I am assuming that it is rotator cuff problems. I have been looking at some of the exercises used to strengthen the rotator cuff but I am not sure which ones I should be focusing on...

I know that this is bodybuilding.com but I am not a bodybuilder... I am just a dude who wants to work on his physique and get some exercise... what do you guys think of my routine..

if anyone has anything to share it would be really appreciated thanks!

galore
04-19-2007, 09:46 AM
does anyone think that my routine is too much lifting in one sitting?

oziem
04-19-2007, 07:01 PM
I just do not know where to vent this crap so I am going to do it here.

I have always been prone to injury for some reason and because of this I put together a workout routine that consisted of lifting weights 2x a week. THATS IT. 2 TIMES A WEEK. I figured that this would dramatically help prevent injuries as I would have ample time to recover.

Day1: back and shoulders, abs, lower back

4 sets of bent over db rows.... light weight 20 reps
4 sets of pull ups....only 1-3 per set
4 sets of one arm rows.... light weight 20 reps
4 sets of overhead db presses.... light weight 20 reps (while sitting on exercise ball)
4 sets of ab work and lower back work

Day 2:

4 sets db chest presses.... light weight 20 reps (I bring the dbs down only until my arms are parallel to the floor)
4 sets incline db chest press....light weight 20 reps (I bring the dbs down only until my arms are parallel to the floor)
4 sets "girl pushups" 20 reps and I only go down until my upper arm is parallel to the floor
4 sets abs
4 sets lower back

I do stretching in between sets also... I work out on wed. and sat. so that there is ample rest.

I have been getting pain in the front of my right shoulder.... it is not substantial pain but it is there and I know that it will get worse if I do not address it.

I am assuming that it is rotator cuff problems. I have been looking at some of the exercises used to strengthen the rotator cuff but I am not sure which ones I should be focusing on...

I know that this is bodybuilding.com but I am not a bodybuilder... I am just a dude who wants to work on his physique and get some exercise... what do you guys think of my routine..

if anyone has anything to share it would be really appreciated thanks!

Front of the shoulder pain is the most common affliction and it is not rotator cuff. It is the GH joint. The reason for the weakness I think is more neurologic and articular than muscular but most opinions you get here will be contrary to that.

It wouldn't hurt to train the rotator cuff. You should be doing that regardless. There are good posts on this board about that.

Give me some history of your injuries and perhaps a plan could be worked out to improve things. Having a bad neck and shoulder myself kept me from the gym for a time. But now things are moving along for me because of good chiropractic care.

Dr. Oziem

galore
04-21-2007, 12:56 PM
oziem, thank you so much for your reply. I am happy to know that the front of the shoulder means that it is not a rotator cuff problem.

History of my injuries: Well, I also have a problem with the side of my pectoral (same side as injured shoulder). I believe that the pain in my pec is due to a small tear that happened about 6 years ago when I was doing chest flies. I am able to keep the injury under control though, by not going to low on bench presses.

So it seems that maybe there is some imbalance going on, on my right side.

I am really thinking about going to a really good chiropractor in my town. I went to one before but all he really did was massage cortisone into painful areas which I do not believe gets to the source of the problem.

I also have something going on with my left leg. Using a stationary bike gives me shin splints, which is unheard of.

What drives me nuts is that I feel as though I cannot exercise at all. No upper body work cuz of the shoulder and no cardio or lower body work b/c of my left leg.

I am going to be trying water jogging when my pool opens up for cardiovascular exercise. I hope that it doesn't aggravate any injuries.

Chiropractor seems like the next logical step for me.