PDA

View Full Version : Mono

pjmartini51
04-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Yeah so i severe swollen throat for about a week. I get tested for strep they think its that they give me an antibiotic and my throat gets worse, so they put me on this steroid and it went down the swelling, then i get a call from my doctor telling me that i have mono. There telling me no lifting for about a MONTH ahhhh i dont want to lose everything...but i dont want to risk my future health....has anybody had mono that wants to fill me in on when i should get back and how i should start when i get back?
thanks guys.

-PJ-

superhombre2k
04-18-2007, 08:31 AM
What happened? You catch it from this guy?
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2331991

Hehehe

Seriously though... you're going to blow up your spleen if you try to lift until you're all better. Just continue to eat well, drink plenty of fluids, etc. When you get back to the gym after a month or so, you'll be weaker yes, but you'll get it all back quickly.

DavidNashvegas
04-18-2007, 09:06 AM
oh, I feel for you man! I had it, exactly a year ago and I ended up staying in the hospital for 3 days because the idiot "doctors" couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. Instead of doing a simple mono test, they said my pounding migraine was "caffeine withdrawls" and everything else you can imagine, until they did a strep/mono test and it came back positive after I finally got so bad my throat almost swelled shut. so, good thing you found it early :)

basically, the best thing to do is NOT lift. Get plenty of rest, drink plenty of water which I am sure you do anyways, but just take it real easy. Mono destroys your immune system so lifting will make it that much worse. I had bought this herbal medicine over the internet called "Monobrex" (i think monobrex.com or online vitamin sites) and it seemed to work pretty good in getting me back to normal. The unfortunate side effect of having mono will be 'flare ups' every once in a while. I still to this day, get flare ups and I get extremely fatigued and wore out, but it doesn't last long.. maybe a day or two.

I don't know if it helps or not, but I tried keeping my vitamin c's up pretty high and maybe green tea could help as well because of the antioxidant properties. You should check into getting a bottle of monobrex if its still available. I had found other things on the internet like homebrews to make that helps you get back to normal.

I hope you feel better man, but if I were you I would stay out of the gym for a little while. Its better to be out of the gym a month than to be bench pressing and rupture a swollen organ (I think your kidney swells) or getting much much worse. Also don't worry about loosing size, muscle memory is your friend.. you'll get it back fast

pphilly51
04-18-2007, 09:08 AM
actually it depends on how severe you get the mono but obviously for you it seems pretty bad. i got mono last year and had no symptoms of it but my gf was sick as hell from it for a little over a month. i got tested and the doctor said i was nearing the end of mono and was lifting the entire time through it. so for you id say probably not if your that sick plus you will probably not have the energy to go to the gym with mono.

get better bud

DavidNashvegas
04-18-2007, 09:14 AM
hopefully it wasn't as bad as I had it.. it kicked my @ss.. I thought I was dying!

I just found this, www.monotreatment.com

DavidNashvegas
04-18-2007, 09:17 AM
hopefully it wasn't as bad as I had it.. it kicked my @ss.. I thought I was dying!

I just found this, www.monotreatment.com

like the guy said above, you may not have to take time off if its not that bad. you can listen to your body I guess and figure out whats best.. but if you want, and not be as extreme as a month long you could take a week off ?
I don't know.. but take it easy though

pjmartini51
04-18-2007, 11:26 AM
yeah i mean, all last week i would go to bed at like 9:45 or 10, and i usually am a 12am person, and going to bed that early i figured id hav energy for school but i would fall asleep throughout the day. Then later in the week on thursday i felt a sore throat coming and i am a guy who hasnt missed school since the 2nd grade and i am in 11th grade. So then my sore throat hadnt gone away and on sunday i look in the mirror and im like holllyy crap my throat was like so swollen it was shut i couldnt swallow anything and there was white spots all over it. So its sunday and no doctors are open, i thought i had strep, i go the next day they gave me a quick strep test, it came back negative and they tell me i might have mono, im like mono? wtf. So they call me the next night and confirm that i have it. My girlfriend feels like she is getting sick to so she is probably going to get it. But today is April 18th so i plan on returning to lifting in June. This way it will be about a month and a half, and i will just have to work my ass off to get my strength back.