PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder problem

white_ræbbit
04-18-2007, 02:54 AM
Hi guys, hope someone can shed some light on this problem for me :

I've got a shoulder problem, had it for a couple of years now.

There's a "snap" in my shoulder, if I do, for example, military press, or anything where I have to lift a weight above my head in an upright position(Ie, Military press, shoulder press, press behind neck, etc). It only occurs on the decending phase. Note that this does not occur with pulling actions, like Lats pull behind neck.

The further my elbows are bent backwards, the more it occurs, and the more I lower the weight in front of me, the less it occurs. And it occurs more or less when my upper arms are level to the ground.

I'm doing the Starting Strength routine at the moment, including Standing Military Presses. I've lowered the weight on the bar, so that the shoulder strengthens a bit first, before going too heavy, and I also try to lower the bar a bit more in front of me than usual. The shoulder does feel a LITTLE bit uncomfortable after doing the Mil. Press, but not too sore though. Am I doing more damage to it or not?

Thanks in advance

WR

Dragger
04-18-2007, 11:32 PM
I'm having the same problem, if it doesn't clear up for me in the next week or two I'm going to the V.A.

white_ræbbit
04-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Cool, let me know what he tells you if you go.

JRT6
04-19-2007, 12:10 AM
The further my elbows are bent backwards, the more it occurs, and the more I lower the weight in front of me, the less it occurs. And it occurs more or less when my upper arms are level to the ground.

I'm doing the Starting Strength routine at the moment, including Standing Military Presses. I've lowered the weight on the bar, so that the shoulder strengthens a bit first, before going too heavy, and I also try to lower the bar a bit more in front of me than usual. The shoulder does feel a LITTLE bit uncomfortable after doing the Mil. Press, but not too sore though. Am I doing more damage to it or not?
WR

First paragraph: You are rotating the ball at the top of your humerous bone inward in the GH joint and hitting some bone spurs or adhesions.

Second paragraph: If there is pain then there is damage being done, especially if what I guessed in the first paragraph turns out to be true. The lower you lower the bar in the military press the more pressure you are putting on the shoulder capsule. It's not nessessary to go real low even in a healthy joint. I don't do anything over my head, my shoulders get more than enough pressing movements in bench pressing.

Time to see the doctor before things get out of hand.