PDA

View Full Version : Slightly concerned for my health when this happens

Chad Ludwig
04-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Ok this has only happened maybe four or five times to me, but I think even that is too much. Sometimes my post/pre workout meals and overall diet was clean, and other times I ate good but also snuck in cheat foods.

What happens is is about 2-4 hours after falling asleep I will wake up, and then be unable to fall back asleep for hours and with a strange sensation in my chest. Like my heart hurting or something, it's weird and my mind is active due to too much cortisol, I guess. I've never been diagnosed with any heart problems in fact I'm good to go in that department but it feels like a murmer or something.

Either that, or this happens:

For hours after the workout I feel anxious, uneasy and unable to rest or relax. My heart is off-beat and my attempts to walk it off, stretch out or watch tv to calm down only make it worse. There is some breif but genuine concern that I might need medical attention, because it feels strange. But it goes away and off course I just wait it out every time.

This has happened ussually on heavy leg days or when I used to do chest/back supersets, or when I'd do cardio and weight training in the same session, but only with the treadmill. If I do some other form of cardio, this ussually never happens.

That treadmill is strange. When I first started using it, it was practically like a sleep aid. I would run on it for a good hour and do some HIIT even, i'd be absolutely DRENCHED in sweat. I would go home (this was in my apt complex), drink a grip of water, get some protein down my throat, shower and fall asleep within the hour. It was amazing, I wouldn't even remember falling asleep, the sleep was deep and restorative and I would have elaborate and crazy dreams I could remember easily.

Keep in mind that this was all right before I went to sleep. Exercise and esp. cardio supposedly perks you up (and ussually it has this effect on me), but nah I would be conked out. This was ussually arounf my normal 9 or 10:00 bedtime, but sometimes even at 1 or 2 in the AM.

Soon this too began producing the racy heart feeling, waking me up at night.

What gives? Too much sugar, or my blood sugar goes way down? Overtraining?

Sometimes my workouts would be accompanied by a feeling of lighheadedness, and then this ensued. But others, I felt great during the workout and then this would happen.

I am just curious as to why this could be, or if anyone else has experienced something like this before.

AphtaLyfe
04-17-2007, 09:26 PM
What supplements are you on?

If you're on any illegal ones... I would recommend looking those up online to see if they can cause mental or heart problems.

List your legal supplements and maybe one of those is what's causing your problems.

-Good Luck

muscledan
04-17-2007, 09:40 PM
get an opinion from an endocrinologist very soon.

adguy
04-18-2007, 06:20 AM
x2

Did you change up you supps around the time this started to happen? That or it sounds alot like anxiety (work stress or big life event?). If your supps changed Id try playing around with when and what you are taking. If not go see a doc to be sure. Let us know and good luck!

Flex500
04-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Ok this has only happened maybe four or five times to me, but I think even that is too much. Sometimes my post/pre workout meals and overall diet was clean, and other times I ate good but also snuck in cheat foods.

What happens is is about 2-4 hours after falling asleep I will wake up, and then be unable to fall back asleep for hours and with a strange sensation in my chest. Like my heart hurting or something, it's weird and my mind is active due to too much cortisol, I guess. I've never been diagnosed with any heart problems in fact I'm good to go in that department but it feels like a murmer or something.

Either that, or this happens:

For hours after the workout I feel anxious, uneasy and unable to rest or relax. My heart is off-beat and my attempts to walk it off, stretch out or watch tv to calm down only make it worse. There is some breif but genuine concern that I might need medical attention, because it feels strange. But it goes away and off course I just wait it out every time.

This has happened ussually on heavy leg days or when I used to do chest/back supersets, or when I'd do cardio and weight training in the same session, but only with the treadmill. If I do some other form of cardio, this ussually never happens.

That treadmill is strange. When I first started using it, it was practically like a sleep aid. I would run on it for a good hour and do some HIIT even, i'd be absolutely DRENCHED in sweat. I would go home (this was in my apt complex), drink a grip of water, get some protein down my throat, shower and fall asleep within the hour. It was amazing, I wouldn't even remember falling asleep, the sleep was deep and restorative and I would have elaborate and crazy dreams I could remember easily.

Keep in mind that this was all right before I went to sleep. Exercise and esp. cardio supposedly perks you up (and ussually it has this effect on me), but nah I would be conked out. This was ussually arounf my normal 9 or 10:00 bedtime, but sometimes even at 1 or 2 in the AM.

Soon this too began producing the racy heart feeling, waking me up at night.

What gives? Too much sugar, or my blood sugar goes way down? Overtraining?

Sometimes my workouts would be accompanied by a feeling of lighheadedness, and then this ensued. But others, I felt great during the workout and then this would happen.

I am just curious as to why this could be, or if anyone else has experienced something like this before.
you taking any stimulants like caffeine, ephedra, etc?

either way go to a doc, if it nothing to worry about they will tell you or maybe you will get referred to an endocrinologist.

Honestly, you are worried about your heart health here, go see a doctor.

euphoria1
04-18-2007, 10:45 AM
It sounds like it is caused by anxiety, and you are paranoid about the affect it has on your body when your heart is actually fine. psychosomatic. It is what panic attacks are caused from.

Learn to relax yourself in someway. If you cant fall back asleep, don't stay up and just think about falling asleep..occupy yourself with tv or something not really that stimulating which will help you get back to sleep.

It sounds crazy, your symptoms are almost identical to what is in my abnormal psy text about panic attacks and disorders:O

Chad Ludwig
04-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Wow I guess this is more serious than I thought. Thanks for the replies.

Here are some of the supps I have taken over the past two years (keep in mind that I haven't taken these all at once and I don't even remember everything I've taken, but at some point it's been one or a combo of these):

Some sort of Protein powder (Muscle Milk, some sort of Whey Protein shake, and others I can't remember the names of) has almost always been in my system

or, I got all my protein from foods but every other day I would have an RTD at the gym

Green tea and the occasional energy drink

Kava kava (for use as a sleep aid, but this was on and off)

some fish oil and omega-3's

Protein bars

Again, keep in mind that I never took these all at once, but I've used these kind of supps and that's about it... nothing illegal and the only drugs I've done in the past few years is alcohol, and I'm not a big drinker.

BakaNingen
04-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Although I can't say for certain, I'd agree with the previous poster that anxiety may be a huge factor. Some supplements out there as well as many drugs both legal and not can cause anxiety where none is warranted. It causes your mind to race with thoughts and worry to extremes. This can be very overwhelming if you aren't used to it, and most of the time its not something you can control just because you want to. There may be chemical factors causing you to feel this way.

Speaking with a doctor is always the best advice, but some second hand advice would be to try dealing with the problem with meditation and/or soothing music if it is in fact anxiety. Don't take a chance on my advice though, if you really think its your heart, best not to risk it. Get yourself checked out. Good luck to you.

euphoria1
04-18-2007, 05:08 PM
I thought kava kava was taken off the market because it caused liver toxicity if not taken with B vitamins.

Chad Ludwig
04-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Nah Kava is still very much on the market, available in many forms.

Flex500
04-19-2007, 06:06 AM
Wow I guess this is more serious than I thought. Thanks for the replies.

Here are some of the supps I have taken over the past two years (keep in mind that I haven't taken these all at once and I don't even remember everything I've taken, but at some point it's been one or a combo of these):

Some sort of Protein powder (Muscle Milk, some sort of Whey Protein shake, and others I can't remember the names of) has almost always been in my system

or, I got all my protein from foods but every other day I would have an RTD at the gym

Green tea and the occasional energy drink

Kava kava (for use as a sleep aid, but this was on and off)

some fish oil and omega-3's

Protein bars

Again, keep in mind that I never took these all at once, but I've used these kind of supps and that's about it... nothing illegal and the only drugs I've done in the past few years is alcohol, and I'm not a big drinker.
relax, it could just be anxiety stuff. Then once you start to get nervous everytime you have an itch you think your kidneys are failing. It's human nature.

The point is though look at this thread. Many say it is nothing, some say it is anxiety, some say it could be this or that or something in between.

It literally takes no time at all to go to a doc and get bloodwork done to be sure everything is cool. So why not do that?

It probably is nothing at all. BUT, we live in a day and age where you don't have to sit at home and guess and hope for the best. Good luck with everything.

Chad Ludwig
04-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Well see that's why I posted here. Because I have seen doctors and gotten blood work since then, and everything appears normal. Being in the military, and having been to the hospital for life-threatning conditions or accidents twice in the past couple years, I've had plenty of docs tell me I have a "very good heart" and that I appear to be in very good overall health. Needless to say I have had extensive medical tests done on me and I would be informed if something seriously detrimental ever came up.

And like I said I've done 6 hour workouts before and I've worked two jobs, and tough jobs like landscaping before, and this only happens certain times when I work out for normal amounts or time on certain days, and ussually with weights. Just makes you wonder.

I've never addressed that problem directly, or asked about specific things like anxiety ect, but anytime I hint at depression or anxiety, immediately they want to put me on something. And I just don't believe in taking meds of any kind for any reason except in life-threatning situations, or with more serious ailments.

I was just wondering if maybe this was a little more common and not much to worry about. If I could afford it I would jump in my car and head to the ER the minute I feel like that, or make an appointment and see a doc ASAP, to see what it was. But that's not always the case.

But yea it could be nothing or it could be in the way I train, but most likely anxiety. Again thanks for all the advice.

BakaNingen
04-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Hey Chad, I feel the exact same way about not taking medications. Whenever I get illnesses like the flu, a sore throat, or a cold, I just let my body fight it. No headache medicines, no cough drops, nothing. The body is amazing, and I believe that letting it fight its own battles makes it stronger. Obviously some sicknesses are overpowering though so I never had a problem going to a doctor when I felt -really- bad.

To add to my earlier reply and with this new information - since you seem physically fine, it is definitely leaning toward anxiety. I highly suggest a supplement called 'Piracetam' combined with a choline source like Alpha-GPC or DMAE. Research Piracetam on the internet and you will see that it is a non-toxic supplement which many people take for various reasons, including anxiety. I myself take it and it has helped a ton with motivation and avoiding anxiety.

The 'fake' anxiety (the kind you get when there is no real reason to get it) is very hard to fight just through discipline since its usually a slight chemical imbalance in your brain. But I also think a lot of the anxiety medicines out there will just hurt you or make you rely on them. Research Piracetam, you'll have to order it on the Internet most likely, and since you and I are kind of the same mindset, I think you'll see the wisdom in supplementing with it. Don't forget to take it with a choline supplement. Best of luck man.

Chad Ludwig
04-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Hey Chad, I feel the exact same way about not taking medications. Whenever I get illnesses like the flu, a sore throat, or a cold, I just let my body fight it. No headache medicines, no cough drops, nothing. The body is amazing, and I believe that letting it fight its own battles makes it stronger. Obviously some sicknesses are overpowering though so I never had a problem going to a doctor when I felt -really- bad.

To add to my earlier reply and with this new information - since you seem physically fine, it is definitely leaning toward anxiety. I highly suggest a supplement called 'Piracetam' combined with a choline source like Alpha-GPC or DMAE. Research Piracetam on the internet and you will see that it is a non-toxic supplement which many people take for various reasons, including anxiety. I myself take it and it has helped a ton with motivation and avoiding anxiety.

The 'fake' anxiety (the kind you get when there is no real reason to get it) is very hard to fight just through discipline since its usually a slight chemical imbalance in your brain. But I also think a lot of the anxiety medicines out there will just hurt you or make you rely on them. Research Piracetam, you'll have to order it on the Internet most likely, and since you and I are kind of the same mindset, I think you'll see the wisdom in supplementing with it. Don't forget to take it with a choline supplement. Best of luck man.

Actually I have heard of that before, don't really know much about it though. I think I will research it though.

I'm trying to keep my supplements to a minimum now, but I definitely will look into Piracetam and DMAE. Thanks for the suggestion.

TheCaptain
04-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Could also be indigestion.

People often complain of heart spasms or heart pain and it turns out its indigestion.

Are the pains on the right or left side? As heart pain would be in the center of chest.

In any event, see a doctor.

TheCaptain
04-20-2007, 09:25 AM
It seems you have multiple symptoms.

Waking up and feeling heart pain, sounds like indigestion.

Racing heart is possibly anxiety, try eliminating caffeine or energy products or thermals.

If you get out of breathe, feel very low in energy etc. (like out of breathe after walking up 5 stairs) then your either obese or may have heart issues.

Either way, see a doctor as there is much more then just that to review.