PDA

View Full Version : 6 month shoulder problem

browncmp
04-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Both shoulders ache and I have lost 50% of my strength and most of my endurance. Started in my left shoulder, the pain is just below the medial delt, between the bi and tri... basically right on the bone. Same on my right arm except the pain starts in the front delt and works it way down. It only hurts during flat bench press and incline. Oddly enough I can dumbbell press all day long and I have no issues. Ive seen 2 docters, a chiropractor and a physical therapist. They say its not rotator issues, thank god, but it could be: Impingement, starting in my back.... #2. Some growth disease where muscles grow to large for my frame.. (I think thats crap), #3. Overuse. In any case they agree that time off, months, is the only cure. That wont happen. Was wondering if anybody has a similar problem or knows of a way to fix this without rest.

JRT6
04-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Long term pain and significant loss of strength is a big deal. Did you see a sports orthopedic doctor? Mine would have done an MRI on you already.

NGR8SHAPE
04-17-2007, 07:38 PM
second that.... get an MRI to remove any scepticism in the Dr.s advice. Pain is something very real and pain is not "normal". It is a big red warning flag to address the situation.... even if rest is what may be needed. Educate yourself :)
~Tricia

Buff_Daddy
04-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Ive seen 2 docters, a chiropractor and a physical therapist.

Neither of those 2 are doctors... I would see a sports /orthopedic doctor and and they will likely order an MRI ... like others here have suggested its the only way to go.

browncmp
04-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah my first docter told me an MRI would be worth while. That was 4 months ago or so. What they dont understand is how I can dumbbell press but not bench press. Since they couldnt tell me anything other than rest, I just keep going. I train around the pain. Some days I bench, without much pain, and others I skip the benching going straight to flies. I listen to my body... once in a while lol. Ive gone from the first month, zero power, to about 70% of what I could do. The fact that Ive gotten better on my own, working through the pain, tells me Im either getting better, or becoming tolerant to the discomfort and thats a bad thing. A MRI could be done, but Id wait about 3 more months for it. By then I could be better. Im kind of a glass is half full kind of person. Looking for the best in most things. Thanks for the responses.

AphtaLyfe
04-17-2007, 10:21 PM
I would highly recommend NOT working through the pain.

There are a multitude of ailments that could go from temporary to chronic by "working through the pain".

Any sort of tendon damage could result in some serious problems if you continue to work even though you are in pain.

I would suspect that the amount of strain from flat bench is just higher than dumbbell and the angle at which you are doing the lift changes between flat bench and dumbbell bench. (The mechanics are different too between the 2 lifts... although not by a huge amount)

Getting an X-ray, then an MRI w/ arthrogram would probably be your best bet.

X-ray to rule out any skeletal damage, and MRI w/ arthrogram to check for ligament, cartilage, and tendon damage.

-Good Luck

MacGyverDel
04-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Crap that's an :eek: unfortunate situation. I hope it continues to get better.
The doc's :confused: should be able to be more accurate but I'm not surprised.

Davecox
04-27-2007, 07:20 PM
I have a hard time believing that a doctor would rule out rotator cuff injury then not do an MRI to back up his diagnosis. I had the same syptoms, I could not bench press due to the pain and lost strength but I was fine on the 45lbs dumbells. After an MRI where they injected dye in my shoulder, it was discovered that both rotator cuffs had partial tears (in milimeters) that would have become worse if I continued to "work through the pain". An MRI is the only sure way to find the problem. I'm waiting for surgery soon.