PDA

View Full Version : Upset Stomach When Lifting

jkomorek
04-17-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm getting back to lifting after taking about a year off. I've been back for a couple weeks now, but I am experiencing some stomach problems which are driving me nuts. Basically, my stomach is causing me to stop working out before my muscles do!

I'm guessing that this is simply because I am not conditioned for an intense workout and I'm not doing a very good job of "easing back into things". The last couple times I went to the gym, after about an hour of a fullbody workout I had to call it quits. I started feeling nauseous and lightheaded - as if my body had run out of fuel. Back in the day I can recall working out until I almost threw up, but I never remember it stopping me in my tracks like this.

Anyway, I have not started any supplements. I have changed my diet, but it should be healthier now (no drinking, more frequent and smaller meals, less fat and more protien). Other than that, my routine is similar to what I used to do before I stopped going to the gym, except less weight and I simply can't do as much (expectedly so, of course).

Does this sound familiar to anyone out there who took a lot of time off? Any advice on how I can prevent this? Do I simply have to wait until I am better conditioned for this to pass? Should I start on some cardio to help with conditioning?

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.
Thanks!

iliketojuggle
04-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Taking longer breaks inbetween your sets.. I experienced the same problem and by following advice on a similar thread I posted I stopped.. Theres an article about it called the lactic acid threshold and if you reach it you start feeling like your gonna puke because you dont take enough rest between sets so it has no time to metabolise and keeps building up.

jkomorek
04-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Taking longer breaks inbetween your sets.. I experienced the same problem and by following advice on a similar thread I posted I stopped.. Theres an article about it called the lactic acid threshold and if you reach it you start feeling like your gonna puke because you dont take enough rest between sets so it has no time to metabolise and keeps building up.

That's great advice, thanks! I have been going on my lunch breaks and taking little time to relax so that I can get as much time in as possible. So, that would make a lot of sense for my case.

BryanS90
04-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Just curious how long you've been working out from since you started again, How long have these problems been occuring and are you taking any supplements?

someguy20
04-17-2007, 02:37 PM
New meaning to the word bustin a gut.

SDwrkout
04-17-2007, 02:51 PM
When I used to work out in the morning (around 4:30am) the exact same thing would happen to me. It wouldn't be uncommon for me at all, in the middle of my workout to go to the restroom and throw up and then come back and finish my workout. I really don't know what the cause of it was.

Once I started working out around 11:30am, the problem stopped. Maybe it was the amount of food in my stomach, I don't know.