PDA

View Full Version : No spotter?

LongHairBug
04-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Hello. I have just a quick question:

I do not have a spotter to work with while at the gym. I am worried about no being able to work to my fullest due to risk of injury if I cannot lift the weight. Is there any way I can workout with the same intensity as someone with a spotter and not worry about getting in a stick situation or becoming injured?

Thanks!
Bug

GreyGeese
04-17-2007, 10:00 AM
I work out at home with no spotter. I do everything, including bench presses and squats, with dumbbells. I can always drop them if I have to (I try to always avoid this, but it would be an option in an emergency, unlike being pinned by a bar.)

LongHairBug
04-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Well, I'm trying to stick to the info in the Novice Barbell Training sticky in the Workout Programs forum. I have worked with barbell's in the past, about 2 years ago in high school, and just from trying both the barbells made me stronger than the dumbells, though this could have been due to a number of things.

If I get back into weight lifting I want to work as hard as I can and I'm not sure if I can achieve the same results using dumbells.

Any opinions?

GreyGeese
04-17-2007, 12:04 PM
The only barbell exercise I am aware of that does not have a dumbbell equivalent is deadlifts. A person can typically bench more weight with a bar, but that doesn't mean they are stronger. In fact, dumbbell exercises are often harder in many ways (you have to stabilize and balance the weight.)

LongHairBug
04-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Good to know.

I was lifiting semi-regularly until this semester (January - Now) and I tried the bench one day when a friend was there and I was shocked, I could hardly do a set of 100lbs 5 reps. I know in high school I One Rep Maxed at 150lbs.

I'm think I may have been doing something wrong with dumbbells, or possibly am expecting too much for not a lot of work?

jkomorek
04-17-2007, 01:35 PM
One thing I can suggest is using a Smith Machine when benching by yourself. I have found this very useful.

You still must be cautious of course; however, if you are unable to push your last rep very far you should still be able to twist your wrists back and lock the bar. You may need to slide out from underneath the weight if you couldn't get it very high, but that's a lot better then the alternative.

Before trying this, make certain you know where you can lock the bar on your machine so that you don't get in any trouble if/when you need to use it.

LongHairBug
04-17-2007, 06:13 PM
One thing I can suggest is using a Smith Machine when benching by yourself. I have found this very useful.

You still must be cautious of course; however, if you are unable to push your last rep very far you should still be able to twist your wrists back and lock the bar. You may need to slide out from underneath the weight if you couldn't get it very high, but that's a lot better then the alternative.

Before trying this, make certain you know where you can lock the bar on your machine so that you don't get in any trouble if/when you need to use it.

By "the alternative" are you refering to a Smith Machine or dumbbells? I am pretty confident I could get out from under the bar with a little bit of space, but in the end I will have to make the call as to if I should try the weight or not.

Trail11591
04-17-2007, 06:22 PM
I use a smith machine for bench and squats when I dont have a spotter it works just fine

adguy
04-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Well, I'm trying to stick to the info in the Novice Barbell Training sticky in the Workout Programs forum. I have worked with barbell's in the past, about 2 years ago in high school, and just from trying both the barbells made me stronger than the dumbells, though this could have been due to a number of things.

If I get back into weight lifting I want to work as hard as I can and I'm not sure if I can achieve the same results using dumbells.

Any opinions?

I was in the same situation you are, no spotter. I couldnt find anyone willing to stick with working out and finding spotter at the gym is a pain, seems like everyone spots different and it annoys me. My gym has Hammer Strength Machines. These are the best alternative, I have found anyways, that allow you really push your max. I know a few NFL teams use these machines which is what got me started on them. Look around at some local gyms to see if they have these and see if they will let you try them out. Other than that dumbells. Good Luck!

Muscle-T-17yrs
04-18-2007, 08:20 AM
pfft...spotters are for whimps :D...nah

I havent been using a spotter for a long time now, feels so much better.
Get used to it, its more beneficial to you mentally and physically, just use ur weight smart.

Flex500
04-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Hello. I have just a quick question:

I do not have a spotter to work with while at the gym. I am worried about no being able to work to my fullest due to risk of injury if I cannot lift the weight. Is there any way I can workout with the same intensity as someone with a spotter and not worry about getting in a stick situation or becoming injured?

Thanks!
Bug
do you workout at a gym? If so make some friends. Honestly the only thing I need spotted on is barbell bench presses. I do like one when I am going real heavy on squats but if I am in a cage it is not a must.