PDA

View Full Version : Enough with the back pain complaints, has anyone here recovered?

Ageispolis
04-16-2007, 10:15 PM
I have been battling back pain for over two years. I am 23 years old. It is now seriously affecting my work, hobbies, personal life. I sought therapy and a sports medicine doctor referred me to Athletico, a very commercial physical therapy around Chicago. The place is a great environment, but I've gone there for almost a month without any sign of improvement for my lower back sprain/strain.

My physical therapist says it's because of low flexibility in my hams and weakness in my abs.(not rectal abdominus, but transverse abdominus) also obliques, hip flexors. Im having trouble finding TA exercises besides stomach vacuums, planks, and pikes.

My question is, have anyone of you with a similar situation recovered?

de_barathrum
04-16-2007, 11:08 PM
ive spent the last 6 months rehabbing my back and only just now am i confident enough to say that i have made progress. every night before i go to sleep i make sure i do a variety of stretches to keep my muscles relaxed, and ab work is now a must in my routine. also ever since i started doing overhead squats and front squats and dropped back squats completely, i feel this is where i have made the greatest amount of my progress.

back injuries are an aboslute bitch man, best of luck in the rest of your recovery.

Tyro
04-17-2007, 03:13 AM
Im good now, i am still aware of it but better now. When lifting lift lighter than i used to but it is all good. The only thing my back gets tirred very quickly.

Kuda
04-17-2007, 03:21 AM
Yup, been there and done that. Chances are, if they are rehabbing it, it's making it sore and painful. I had the same thing, it's a "it will feel worse before it will feel better" type of situation.

Hang in there, stretch often (especially those hamstrings, which was a huge factor in my back problems).

Then, gradually work on total increase of your core strength. Once in awhile, I go to a chiropractor too, but thats not for everybody and some people seriously oppose chiro's.

HALON
04-17-2007, 06:49 AM
I hyperextended my back 3 years ago, it only healed 100% now after adding pilates to my workout. I went to a massage therapist, doctors, physios, non of them helped me at all.

Ageispolis
04-17-2007, 08:51 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys

Ive been to chiropractors. It's voodoo. I went there thinking I was going to save my back, but they dont do that! They align the back to releive pinched nerves to fix problems with our organs?

Anyway. I will continue stretching and working the abs. But I haven't lifted in a while and I want to start as soon a possible, Im jut afraid of making my back worse. The doc told me to cut out all DLs, and I hate it because (of couse) that is my best lift and the most fun IMO. Also, I lift at home, so I dont have many options - no hack squat, no leg press. I hate front squats, and I dont have room for overhead squats in my basement. I do have a smyth though.

de_barathrum
04-17-2007, 09:21 AM
if you have a lower back to ab imbalance which you most likely do because you said DLs are your best lift, then front squats would be an excellent excercise to take up seeing as they hit the abs much harder than other variations of the squat.

surfdude19
04-17-2007, 09:44 AM
I fractured my spine when I was 17 and had to get some vertebrate fused. 3 years later I am doing fine although every once in awhile I tweak it and take a little time off.
Also NO SQUAT and NO DL
that is the worst part of it

Ageispolis
04-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks de barathrum. Since this is a very common problem, have you seen any good articles on how to take this on myself? Maybe some links, books, ect?

SaintPatty
04-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Nothing but empathy for you here, man. I hurt my back when a 300lb TV fell on me a few years ago. Long story short, I got sent to a neurosurgeon who determined that I had a ruptured disk, two others severely degenerated, and damage to my sciatic nerve due to compression. She told me that If I didn't have surgery, I risked paralysis. That was a friday, I had surgery the following teusday. This was the same week I finally got my personal training certfification and a job offer, too. Bummer. Anyway, this happenned a little over a year ago, and I can still function 'fairly' normally. I workout religiously still, but I hurt, man, and I hurt a lot. I can't squat, can't deadlift. I have to be VERY careful doing anything. And if I weren't so dedicated to this lifestyle I would be a pain medicine junky in a heartbeat. I suggest that you have an MRI done, and see some kind of DO (or any wholistic doctor) and see what avenues you can take. Just train smart, man. Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm a back pain veteran.