PDA

View Full Version : shin splints...

lookingswell
04-16-2007, 09:37 PM
i have what appears to be shin splints. i haven't been running that much (only jogging to the gym, which is .5 miles away), but was thinking maybe it is particular exercises (squats or deadlifts) that are somehow causing them - is this possible? what do you think is the cause of this? thank you.

HawkLifter55
04-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Highly doubt a lift is causing shin splints, if you truly have them.

stracin
04-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Shin splints come from an imbalance of strength between your calve muscle and the tibalis (muscle that runs on front of shin bone). More than likely it's from jogging. Can't say I've ever heard of it coming from another exercise.

You have to build endurance/strength and flexibility in that front muscle.

One thing that can cause shing splints is an elongated heel on your jogging shoes. These have a tendency to hit the ground prematurely in your stride and make your foot slap down without being able to roll through the full ROM.

DJAuto
04-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Possibly from the jogging. Check your shoes and purchase new ones if the sole is worn.

saveferris4231
04-17-2007, 01:37 AM
Shin splints come from an imbalance of strength between your calve muscle and the tibalis (muscle that runs on front of shin bone). More than likely it's from jogging.

yup. i'd get these in high school from running track. what helped get rid of them/prevent them from happening was to do ABC's. hold your leg out in front of you and imagine you're writing with your big toe. using your full range of motion (really fell the stretch), write the ABC's in capital letters. lather, rinse, repeat...

jkomorek
04-17-2007, 01:53 PM
I had a terrible case of shin splints when I started seriously running myself. I researched shin splints when I had the problem and found pretty much exactly what stracin said, the cause is a muscular imbalance usually caused when your calves gain a lot of strength but the opposing muscle (he tibalis accoriding to stracin... I'll take his word on that) is too weak.

An exercise which I found helpful is meant to strengthen the opposing muslce in order to balance your strength. Take a plastic bag and put some weight in it (I used to use a phone book). Now stand at the edge of a balcony or small ledge with the heel of one foot on the ledge while the rest of your foot hangs off (don't jump! - sorry, couldn't resist). Hang the weight on your foot so that it is hanging over the ledge. At this point you should be able to lift the weight by keping your heel on the ground and lifting your toes up.

If this makes sense and you follow it, you should be able to work the weak muscles that are causing your problems. I tried this and it seemed to help. Though, I'm not a runner or a physical therapist, so I would recommend you check with a professional first.

Good luck!