PDA

View Full Version : Elbow pain from weighted dips

NYCHOCKEY
04-15-2007, 09:39 PM
I was doing weighted dips real low, and my left elbow felt a little strained...right after, I hit up incline bench with a relatively light weight, and I just feel a pop in my left elbow...bring the weight back up, try to bring it down again but there's too much pain, that was basically what happened when I injured my elbow.

Now it's been a month and it feels better but it's still painful if I try to do dips or go too heavy on the bench (only done a little flat bench since then, light weight - elbow gets tweaked when I do heavier weights). It's okay when I'm doing pushups but sometimes I feel the elbow pop/get a little sore even from those...

Anybody with any advice on this???????

Tucdaddy
04-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Sounds like you may have a mild ligamentous strain in your elbow. These types of injuries can take up to 8 weeks to fully heal. This same thing happened to me app. 2.5 months ago. It took right at 6 weeks for it to get the point where I was comfortable lifting with it again. My suggestion would be to lay off any exercises that aggravate it and concentrate on your weaker bodyparts (for me it was back and legs) while it heals. Applying heat to the area and taking scheduled ibuprofen or other NSAID can also promote the healing process and relieve some pain if it is really bothering you. Good luck!

NYCHOCKEY
04-15-2007, 10:31 PM
thanks for the feedback man, would you recommend I lay off pushups as well?

Fleshka
04-16-2007, 02:04 PM
stay away from the dips bro.

they are what tore my rotator. it is just not good to do.

Tucdaddy
04-16-2007, 03:21 PM
thanks for the feedback man, would you recommend I lay off pushups as well?

I wouldn't do any exercise that aggravates the injury. When I injured my elbow, I basically cut out of my routine any movement that relied on elbow bend until it healed. Pushups would only be okay if you can do them pain free.

dexterium
04-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Don't do them. They are hard on your shoulders.