PDA

View Full Version : Could someone explain to me "Bulking and Cutting"?

Seven_Down
04-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Sorry for sounding like a noob, but I just don't understand it. Do you exercise the same or more during cutting as bulking? Do you eat the same or less during cutting as during bulking?

Reps for answers.

siamesedream
04-15-2007, 05:50 PM
bulking = putting on weight through an excess amount of calories in the diet

cutting = losing weight through a caloric deficit

Seven_Down
04-15-2007, 06:08 PM
I understand that part but why do you do it?

skinnyboipgh
04-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Sorry for sounding like a noob, but I just don't understand it. Do you exercise the same or more during cutting as bulking? Do you eat the same or less during cutting as during bulking?

Reps for answers.

There's TONS of info on this site about everything u need 2 know about diet & exercise programs 4 beginners, but u have 2 do a little searching 2 find it.

Here's a basic nutrition guide that's a good place 2 start:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1713071

That's a freebie, but in future it would be a lot better if u did some of ur own homework & didn't come in here expecting us 2 spoon-feed everything 2 u.

martina92685
04-15-2007, 07:10 PM
I understand that part but why do you do it?

To lower body fat. to gain muscle you have to increase calories, which sometimes means increasing body fat. to lower body fat you have to decrease caloric intake. It is through bulking and cutting cycles that someone becomes "lean," I suppose. It's a cycle.

skinny buckeye
04-15-2007, 07:45 PM

Reps for answers.

this is bodybuilding slang for multi week cycles of trying to add muscle mass buy increasing calories significantly while lifting. The belief is that it requires a large caloric excess to add large amounts of muscle in a short time. The byproduct is for 90% of folks they add alot of fat as well. That's considered a necessary evil.

Once a lifter has added an adequate amount of mass from a "bulking cycle" they'll start a "cut" cycle to try and shed as much fat as possible while sparing as much of the new muscle as possible.

The lore is that you have to put on fat to gain muscle.

I'm not sure I believe that, but it also partly stems from cycles of steroids. Bodybuilders have been "cycling" steroids in "bulking" cycles and "cutting" cycles for decades. Theyll take one combination of steroids that are more prone to add large mass, and then "cut" with a different combination that are more geared to lean and "dry" mass.

don't believe the hype though. gaining alot of fat is never good. And its far easier to gain than to get rid of that fat. Cutting is miserable. The guys in teh gym on the steroids can get away with eating 400 grams of protein due to the drugs they are on. everyday average lifter can't do that without getting FAT.

hope that helps a little bit. if you hang around a while you'll pick up on all sorts of bodybuilidng "lingo" and "slang"