PDA

View Full Version : Forearm Pain

Benched
04-15-2007, 01:06 AM
Whenever I do ez-bar or barbell curls...I get serious pain in my right forearm. But, it only hurts when I have to put down the bar and let go. I always have to let go very slowly and its painful. Its my inner forearm with palm facing up. It also hurts when I press on it. Is it muscle pain? Bone related?

BeastInTheGym?
04-15-2007, 01:07 AM
did u get injured? maybe u need a couple days to rest. do some other exercises to take their place for a little while... i had a pain in my left forarm for a little while and it got better with time, i dont really know how i started getting the pain though

tonydelegato
04-15-2007, 01:12 AM
This has happened to me a couple times. Most recently I got a little tired of it (last time it happened it took a couple weeks away from the gym for it to start to recede) and talked to a Navy doc about it. He said it just has to do with the muscles in your arm growing without the rest of you growing (i'm a little fuzzy about what he was saying). Basically what he was saying is that it's normal for it to happen to some people. It'll go away. Mine has started to go away recently, so i'm thinking he is right. I would go get it checked out anyhow, but if you have what I have, it's not injury material.

Benched
04-15-2007, 01:15 AM
I have never had a wrist/forearm injury before. It has been like this for maybe 3 weeks now...its a very small area on my foream...maybe only about an inch. Press anywhere else and its fine...

muscl600
04-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Whenever I do ez-bar or barbell curls...I get serious pain in my right forearm. But, it only hurts when I have to put down the bar and let go. I always have to let go very slowly and its painful. Its my inner forearm with palm facing up. It also hurts when I press on it. Is it muscle pain? Bone related?

Guess you've stretched a tendon in your forearm. They do a lot of work when doing curls. It seems a bit odd that it's when you let go but then I suppose that's when supinated ligaments get stretched to max. They take longer to recover than muscles but should be okay. You'll have to watch you don't aggravate it for a while. Perhaps a bit of gentle massage & watch it doesn't stiffen up & shorten.

muscl600
04-15-2007, 01:24 AM
Guess you've stretched a tendon in your forearm. They do a lot of work when doing curls. It seems a bit odd that it's when you let go but then I suppose that's when supinated ligaments get stretched to max. They take longer to recover than muscles but should be okay. You'll have to watch you don't aggravate it for a while. Perhaps a bit of gentle massage & watch it doesn't stiffen up & shorten.

Ooops! Mixing up ligaments & tendons! Ligaments attach bone to bone not bone to muscle

ViperGTS500
04-15-2007, 02:04 AM
I have the same exact problem using the same exact exercies. My doctor did say it was a muscle strain. The thing is I took a month off from lifting because of my arm and am lifting again and I still have the same pain. I would like to know how to treat this also.

Blaine2007
04-15-2007, 02:07 AM
i have the same thing, it hurts when i let go, and it's in my inner right forearm just like yours is. But this has also happend to me before as well. It will go away with time, just keep curling and it will be fine.

bubba g
04-15-2007, 07:04 AM
I had the same problem. It was bothering me so I took a while off from curling.. (like a month and a half) when I started curling again the pain came right back... It got real bad, and I just kept curling anyway, and eventualy it didn't bother me anymore. I did this because I heard that is how to deal with the problem, and it worked.

To describe the pain. I thought I had a sports fracture or something. when I pressed on the bone where the pain was it hurt.

MrSinister
04-15-2007, 05:13 PM
i have the same thing, it hurts when i let go, and it's in my inner right forearm just like yours is. But this has also happend to me before as well. It will go away with time, just keep curling and it will be fine.

keep curling NO.. ive had the problem for 5 years, thinking/hoping it would go away, it doesn't... at least never has for me.
I just isolated it down to the fact that it only hurts me on bar curls, don't feel it at all with dumbells, i dont understand it but i dont care i just dropped bar curls from my workout and i never have any problems.

bubba g
04-15-2007, 05:30 PM
keep curling NO.. ive had the problem for 5 years, thinking/hoping it would go away, it doesn't... at least never has for me.
I just isolated it down to the fact that it only hurts me on bar curls, don't feel it at all with dumbells, i dont understand it but i dont care i just dropped bar curls from my workout and i never have any problems.

Try straight bar curls??? For me those hurt much less than EZ curl

MrSinister
04-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Try straight bar curls??? For me those hurt much less than EZ curl

both no good

bikestud125
04-15-2007, 05:59 PM
I get the same pain, to me it feels more like its my bone in my arm getting ready to break, not a muscle pain.

The only time I don't get it is if I do hammer curls or us a reverse grip on the e-z bar with my palms facing down.

bubba g
04-15-2007, 06:46 PM
I get the same pain, to me it feels more like its my bone in my arm getting ready to break, not a muscle pain.

The only time I don't get it is if I do hammer curls or us a reverse grip on the e-z bar with my palms facing down.

yep. bone about to break is a good discription. It is a pretty common injury.

Benched
04-16-2007, 08:47 PM
yep. bone about to break is a good discription. It is a pretty common injury.

yeah....it does feel like the bone. It even hurts sometimes when im not even lifting. Not hurting to the point where im crying...just hurting enough to where I need to ice it or heat it. Should I see my doctor?

bubba g
04-16-2007, 09:04 PM
yeah....it does feel like the bone. It even hurts sometimes when im not even lifting. Not hurting to the point where im crying...just hurting enough to where I need to ice it or heat it. Should I see my doctor?

It is always a good idea to see the doc... you never know.. It sounds exactly like what I had, but that is not to say it is...

one thing I remeber that aggrevated it was if made a fist put my arm in the position like I would to flex my bicep, and then rotated my wrist.

Go see your doc though... especialy if you have insurance...

tinman15
04-16-2007, 09:10 PM
I had this happened to me last year. I talked to several hand therapists ( I work with them ) and I don't remember the explanation they gave me but I do remember I stopped doing preacher curls and concentration curls and stopped sleeping with my arms over my head. ( I used to sleep on my stomach which is bad for you apparently ) and it remedied the solution. I don't know what your training age is but if I was you. I'd stay away from preachers as much as possible, only throw them in every now and again, and use compound pulling exercises for biceps for awhile. After about 45 days if you want to start curling again try to make sure you keep your wrists in a neutral position and avoid flexion or extension of the wrists. If you feel pain take another 45 days off and try again. Also avoid bringing your elbows forward while curling, trying doing wall curls. When your elbows move forward 2 tendons are activated and if you keep your elbows back so that your upper arms are perpendicular to the ground only 1 will be used. ( I'm pretty sure on this info but can't be 100% )

This is why it's recommended you have a low keyboard and mouse tray, so that your elbows can stay close to your side. Your problem may even be traced to excessive hand usage such as surfing/gaming, sewing, ect. I hope this helps and if you don't feel comfortable with what I said go see a hand therapist most insurance agencies will help and the fees aren't very high depending on your deductible, but I am around them every day and am pretty confident with the info I gave you.

P.S. Hand therapists specialize in rehabilitating all injuries from the elbow to the finger tips despite their name.

jjf1988
04-16-2007, 09:41 PM
I had a similar pain that I would get when I did any curls. I went to the doc and he said it was a little tendonitis. It still comes and goes, but he basically told me to adjust my grip or do different lifts so that it feels ok. You don't want to inflame the tendon any more than it already is.

CR0D
04-20-2007, 08:57 AM
I've been dealing with this exact same pain since January. Initially I thought I just strained the tendon rock climbing but then after taking a few weeks off I realized that it wasn't going away. Get's worse every time I do anything that requires me to pronate: Throwing a baseball or football, Tennis, Strait bar curls, Dumbbell curls, Pull ups. It's really been a major issue for me and nothing seems to help. It's gotten to the point now where just gripping anything, pushing up to get out of the car or even just leaning my arm against something is quite painful. First it started just in my right arm but now it is in both. It is really weird how it hurts the worst when pressure is relieved. While doing the lift I'm fine for the most part until I have to put down the weight. Even if a spotter lifts it off of me they have to do it slowly or the tendon just suddenly tightens up and hurts like hell. I've found that if I slowly let go of the bar one finger at a time starting with my pinky and working my way over it doesn't hurt nearly as bad. If anyone has any suggestions please share, I think I'm about to have to quite my baseball team because throwing the ball aggravates it more than anything else. Is this just a strained tendon or is it something more serious? I've tried resting it, and I've tried working through it, both rendered the same results thus far.

bubba g
04-20-2007, 09:46 AM
I've been dealing with this exact same pain since January. Initially I thought I just strained the tendon rock climbing but then after taking a few weeks off I realized that it wasn't going away. Get's worse every time I do anything that requires me to pronate: Throwing a baseball or football, Tennis, Strait bar curls, Dumbbell curls, Pull ups. It's really been a major issue for me and nothing seems to help. It's gotten to the point now where just gripping anything, pushing up to get out of the car or even just leaning my arm against something is quite painful. First it started just in my right arm but now it is in both. It is really weird how it hurts the worst when pressure is relieved. While doing the lift I'm fine for the most part until I have to put down the weight. Even if a spotter lifts it off of me they have to do it slowly or the tendon just suddenly tightens up and hurts like hell. I've found that if I slowly let go of the bar one finger at a time starting with my pinky and working my way over it doesn't hurt nearly as bad. If anyone has any suggestions please share, I think I'm about to have to quite my baseball team because throwing the ball aggravates it more than anything else. Is this just a strained tendon or is it something more serious? I've tried resting it, and I've tried working through it, both rendered the same results thus far.

I have advice.. go to a doctor man... I can't believe you have so much pain, and have still not gone... You seem to have a pretty bad case of whatever it is..

dgb11003
04-20-2007, 11:47 AM
I hvae had the same pain for years. It happens on curls and when I used to breakdance it would happen as well. I would press agianst the palm side up area of my foremarm and it feels like the bone hurts. It really only starts to hurt now by my last set of preacher curls. Weird.

-N-
04-21-2007, 06:25 AM
Yep...I've got that **** too.I asked the chiro in the other thread,but he didn't know anything about it.
Is it something to do with overstrained pronators?

berzo
05-03-2007, 03:31 AM
ok guys...i went to the physio last week and he said it was the facia around the muscle running down the ulna. he said it was restricting the pump of it while you are using that particular muscle sowhat you is massage it every second you get and put alot of pressure on it. then stretch it and when your at the gym stretch it between every set and trust me it will be so good you wont feel a thing

-N-
05-03-2007, 04:39 AM
Oh..uh..can u please elaborate a little?
How do you stretch and massage that muscle?

Avila
05-03-2007, 10:09 PM
i used to have it bad... and ive managed to controlled it a bit... although i feel it sometimes in certain exercises just a bit... heres the link to a long post i made regarding the issue...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=8645382&postcount=10

edit scratch the ibuprofen suggestion in my old post.... don't use.;)

bubba g
05-03-2007, 10:18 PM
I was going to post this the other day.. mine has flared up, and I started rubbing the spot where it was hurting real hard before, and after the set, and it helped a lot.. I will try messaging it several times a day, and see if that helps...

berzo
05-04-2007, 10:31 PM
when your stretching your arm keep fingers straight and pull them back until you feel it stretch... its good to hear you guys are finding it helpful

bubba g
05-05-2007, 02:48 AM
huge difference already.. I did curls today, and before, between sets, and after I rubbed the spot on my forearm that hurt real hard.. it hurt while I was doing it, but it reduced the pain almost to nothing...

for the next week I am going to message the spot as often as possible.. I expect great results based on what I have already experienced.

berzo
05-05-2007, 04:34 AM
all the best man... its good to hear it is working also might help strapping it but if it cutting circulation take it off

bubba g
05-05-2007, 11:41 AM
all the best man... its good to hear it is working also might help strapping it but if it cutting circulation take it off

My workout gloves have wrist straps built it, and I thought they were helping me, but once I stopped using the wrist strap part I noticed the pain was not as intense so I think the wrist wrap, atleast im my case was making it worse.

berzo
05-06-2007, 05:44 AM
massaging it and stretching it has helped me big time before i had a break i could not even pick a 10kg weight up without it hurting today i curling 20kg DB's this is going eally well

know_power
06-15-2007, 12:58 PM
arm splints(tiney fractures in the bone, snagging the muscle at times) that are simalar to shin splints, my right outer forarm has the exact same problem and i have norrowed it down to this, only thing i can think that will help is glutamine..

squat lover
06-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Any of you guys get the same thing doing skullcrushers?

browncmp
06-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Hell yes Ive had this problem. Both forearms. I describe it like having shin splints in your arms. Same burning pain, just upper body. Stretching never helped me, working through it hurt me more and even changing my grip didnt matter. My forearms hurt doing any exercise, curls, tri's, even benching. I was in so much pain last fall Id wake up in the night clutching my arms. Best advice, and only solution I found... never ever ever do EZ bar curls again. EVER. Even now almost a year later, if I touch an EZ bar my arms hurt. Straight bar hurts too. It sucks, but if I want to continue to workout, I have to make sacrifices.

ydk
06-15-2007, 04:30 PM
I thought i was all alone on this subject.
glad to know others have same problem.

Yes feels like my bone is going to fracture every time i let go, not only on curls, also on dead lifts (only when really heavy)

I have had the problem for a year, i quit doing the workouts that hurt my arm for a month soon and as i started back it hurt agin. i try to control the pain management part of my brain when i do these now, and push through it. It stops hurting when i leave the room so.......... i would keep lifting untill it effect the rest of your life.

to sound like a retard i actually would hold tight onto the bar and not let go between sets so that i didnt have to get the pain till the last set. BTW that sux hard, i dont do that anymore.

Im going to try that stretching thing a few posts up, not sure how that will help the boneish feeling pain but.......

browncmp
06-15-2007, 04:48 PM
I did that too, held the bar really tight, didnt let go between sets etc. Boy that was great, till I finally had to let go. Yeah the pain stopped when Id leave and thats the danger of it. Id think it was ok so I would come back for more. Middle of the night pain is not worth it. If you have to eliminate curls from your workout to avoid discomfort so be it. There are a 1000 more ways to train your bi's that wont hurt you. A guy I trained with is a PT and he stretched me 6 ways from Sunday... that doesnt sound right... anyway, no matter what I did, I hurt. Till one day I just stopped doing EZ curls.

cmutcer_delete012708@noone.com
06-21-2007, 06:45 PM
Wow, I thought I was the only one going through this. I just went to the doctor, because it's been interfering with my gym routine and daily life for more than a month now. He said that it sounded like tendonitis, and told me to do the stretches that somebody else has already mentioned and to take the anti-inflammatory medication that he had previously prescribed me for shin splints. It's called Naproxen, but there are many cheap, generic brands that you can get OTC.

bubba g
07-02-2007, 05:02 AM
Wow, I thought I was the only one going through this. I just went to the doctor, because it's been interfering with my gym routine and daily life for more than a month now. He said that it sounded like tendonitis, and told me to do the stretches that somebody else has already mentioned and to take the anti-inflammatory medication that he had previously prescribed me for shin splints. It's called Naproxen, but there are many cheap, generic brands that you can get OTC.

I think naproxin is what is in aleeve... CVS, and most drug stores have a generic... naproxin

LeylandLatic
05-13-2010, 06:44 AM

Definitely giving this a go, cheers berzo. I've had this problem for about 6 months and it's killing me when I do heavy curls. I took a month off from curling but after 2 sessions it's started coming back in my left arm, soon to be both no doubt. Praying this soughts it out.

drivium
05-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Same boat!! I've been experiencing this same pain in my left forearm for at least a month. I do the concentrated curls (arm over the back of bench). I first noticed the pain when doing upright rows on the cable machine. The pain was nuts. Like the rest of you, I thought I was about to snap a forearm. I've learned to anticipate and control the pain somewhat. While doing curls, pull-ups, etc., I try to keep flexed, because as soon as I let up, the pain comes rushing in like a flood.

My doc also prescribed Naproxin and told me to apply a heatin pad every night. I was going to make another appointment and see what else he can do, but it sounds like this may just occur forever... I can't even pick up my 5 year old without pain now. I've tried staying out of the gym for about 2 weeks thinking whatever it is would heal itself, but the pain comes right back. My first set is always the worst, then the pain lets up a bit and I can get through it.

Lame.

blindspot13
03-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Yes feels like my bone is going to fracture every time i let go

This.. Gawd damn, let go of the ezbar after my curl sets today and both times it felt like my bone was going to break after letting go, fuark

blgreen2012
02-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Tendonitis.. if I do pull ups curls deadlift , pretty much anything were I have to.grip and let go it hurts like a mother.. today I was doing bent over rows and it felt like someone was playing picking my tendons or ligaments or whatever they are like a guitar string. Hurts .. I'm a horse trainer also so I gotta keep my arms. Dunno what to do

Hairywookie
03-04-2015, 03:04 PM

You have to be very careful with your forearms. The tendons are very delicate and can easily become strained. See a doc and get it checked out. They'll probably tell you to rest it. Try to use a different exercise that doesn't cause this pain and work around the issue for a bit. Still get it checked out. Hope it gets sorted.

Triedntested
07-19-2016, 10:04 AM

Same with me. It only starts when i lift heavy on barbells

franklin2244
02-28-2018, 08:15 AM
Nurse told me the issue was my forearms were not strong enough to support the weight. I was also told not to release my grill on the bar quick because it could cause injury