PDA

View Full Version : Long lasting Injury - Ice or heat treatment?

akaMarko
04-13-2007, 04:38 PM
I've had elbow pain (both inside and outside area) for the last few months. Would heat be a better therapeutic treatment over ice? Only hurts when I do any kind of extension for triceps or hammer pulling with biceps.

irongrl
04-13-2007, 05:10 PM
I've had elbow pain (both inside and outside area) for the last few months. Would heat be a better therapeutic treatment over ice? Only hurts when I do any kind of extension for triceps or hammer pulling with biceps.

Do you have any swelling in that area? If so, ice is probably better. Or you can alternate heat and ice. Also, biofreeze works well for me.
Good luck:)

akaMarko
04-13-2007, 05:33 PM
There's no swellin. It just hurts during certain exercise and when flexing in certain ways. I was thinking more of a healing therapy as opposed to just pain relief.

Thanks for the input. :)

psychowolverine
04-13-2007, 06:23 PM
wow, tennis elbow and golfers elbow all at the same time.. I had tennis elbow for awhile and let me tell you, its gonna take some time to heal. If you dont rest it, it will not heal. It will eventually get so bad, you will not be able to pick up a cup of coffee..
2 things worked for me.
the best was a cortizone shot right in the elbow.. Just need to give the elbow some good rest after the shot.. The shot will make it feel better in a few days, but you cant get antsy and think it is fully healed. It is not.

Another thing I took was an anti inflammatory called Mobic, it did great for a non-steroidal anti inflammatory.

Go see a Dr if it has been hurting that long..

Either way, you are gonna have to go idle for awhile and maybe just concentrate on cardio.. Any gripping will irritate it. Once it fully heals, and I mean fully, look to do some forearm work to help strengthen those tendons at the elbow.

If Dr is not an option for you.. Ice and heat back and forth...

akaMarko
04-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Either way, you are gonna have to go idle for awhile and maybe just concentrate on cardio.. Any gripping will irritate it. Once it fully heals, and I mean fully, look to do some forearm work to help strengthen those tendons at the elbow.

Damn, I'd hate to think about the muscle gains I'm gonna lose but you may be right.

I guess another option would be to reduce my lifting to only compound lifts that don't aggravate it. I'm fine with all manners of benching and flyes for chest and a couple of moves for back (so long as it's not hammer grip or If I fully extend the arms) and most shoulder work doesn't aggravate the condition either. I'll try a couple more weeks of this and see how the condition improves.

dumac
04-14-2007, 10:12 PM
for physical therapy when i first started i used heat at the beginning to loosen up and ice at the end to dull the pain. u could always use some icy hot.

Tucdaddy
04-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Ice is always used in the acute injury phase. Your injury sounds chronic, so you should use heat to treat it. You can also use scheduled ibuprofen or other NSAID to reduce inflammation and promote healing. I'd also lay off any exercise that causes the pain. It can take up to 8 weeks for an injury like that to heal, so don't rush back into it too soon. You should be able to find similiar exercises that don't cause the pain, or focus on bringing up weak bodyparts while the elbow is healing. Good luck to you!