PDA

View Full Version : Egg Innovations

Power-Quest
02-15-2004, 08:18 AM
I asked the question before about eggs , but today i bought some from the grocery store and saw they had a web site.
I noticed they had 4 kinds of eggs , omega 3 egg , veg egg....

Are these eggs safer to eat raw than your regular eggs?
And do any of you eat raw eggs?
What is the benefit of eating raw eggs compared to cooked?

http://www.egginnovations.com

Veinpopper
02-15-2004, 09:12 AM
Its not recommended to eat raw eggs but just like many things in bodybuilding, its up to you if you decide to take the risk. I myself occassionally do make slightly runny eggs for breakfast, love to soak it up with bread like the way Dad would make it. But its not recommended because of the risk of Salmonella (http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:kyKU0rAkvFUJ:www.ers.usda.gov/publications/foodreview/jan1997/jan97d.pdf+eating+raw+egg+danger&hl=en&ie=UTF-8).

Hibiscus09
02-15-2004, 09:41 AM
I love my eggs sunny side up -- same reason -- it goes well with toast and sopping. :D I wouldn't eat them raw -- yuck.

fitnubian
02-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Uh uh...nah!! Mine's gotta be fully cooked. Burn it if you have to, but don't give me no running egg! Same thing with my meat- it's gotta be very very very well done.

There's the issue of biotin in eggs. There is a protein/enzyme in egg that binds biotin, making it inactive. Cooking denatures that protein (enzyme) thus freeing the biotin for use. In that respect, it's better to eat the egg cooked.

fitnessman
02-15-2004, 10:17 AM
I do not recommend it, but many still do. Dr. Mercola is a big advocate of consuming raw eggs.

69 Billion eggs produced in the US per year...3 Million are estimated to have Salmonella.

edster951
02-15-2004, 10:19 AM
Raw eggs stirred up the protein shake are unrecognisable.

I eat them either way. Scrambled, made into an omelette, fried in a little oil to stop them sticking.

The scrambled and fried ones are eaten on two slices of toast plastered with vegemite or marmite (http://www.sanitarium.co.nz/products/spreads.html). Its full of vitamin B

Hibiscus09
02-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Uh uh...nah!! Mine's gotta be fully cooked. Burn it if you have to, but don't give me no running egg! Same thing with my meat- it's gotta be very very very well done.

LOL -- I prefer my steaks & tuna rare also. :D

fitnessman
02-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by fitnubian

There's the issue of biotin in eggs. There is a protein/enzyme in egg that binds biotin, making it inactive. Cooking denatures that protein (enzyme) thus freeing the biotin for use. In that respect, it's better to eat the egg cooked.

Avidin is what you are looking for fit. It is ONLY in the egg white. Avidin binds biotin, but the yolk makes up for it with excess biotin.

To be honest I am starting to waffle on the raw egg issue.