PDA

View Full Version : "Working up a good sweat"



filetshow
02-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Does the phrase to work up a good sweat have any real validity? I wasn't under that the impression the more you sweat the more fat you'd lose. If Joe Blow does 30 minutes of cardio at 160bpm and sweats buckets and Jane Ho does 30 minutes of cardio at 160bpm and barely breaks a sweat haven't they still burned the same amount of calories? I always thought the amount you sweat is proportional to how much water you're holding. So does the term "working up a good sweat" really have any validity?

Mr Nasty
02-12-2004, 04:19 PM
NOTE: excuss my spelling

The first question you have to ask yourself is: Why do I sweat? The answers is because your body temp is rising. What happens when your tempature goes up? You sweat right? Right! For every degree your body temp rises your metabolism increase by 7% or so. So the phrase "work up a good sweat" just might have some validity to it after all.

But again, you have to understand that its depends upon the individual. Everyone is different and there bodies act and function differently than everyone elses.

So comparing Joe Blow and Jan Ho is irrellavent. Sweating might not directly play a role in fat burning, but it is a good indicater to monitor.

Canadian_AF
02-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by filetshow
Does the phrase to work up a good sweat have any real validity? I wasn't under that the impression the more you sweat the more fat you'd lose. If Joe Blow does 30 minutes of cardio at 160bpm and sweats buckets and Jane Ho does 30 minutes of cardio at 160bpm and barely breaks a sweat haven't they still burned the same amount of calories? I always thought the amount you sweat is proportional to how much water you're holding. So does the term "working up a good sweat" really have any validity?

Genetics will determine how much you sweat during phyiscal activity. There are alot of people who say, well if you sweat alot it means your out of shape, nope.. I have a cousin who's 15, and a superb athlete and the guy sweats like a machine. Your body sweats naturally to cool itself down. So the hotter you are internally the more you sweat. It's not really an accurate indicator that your burning fat, although for most if they're sweating it's a good sign that their body temperature is elevated from exercise, which also most likely means their heart rate is up, which means.. you guessed it, more likely they are burning fat. However, we all know your water weight fluctuates 2-5lbs more or less, depending on the individual. Your reference to the 2 individuals, has to also take into account their bodies, if let's say.. both individuals were identical, but one sweats more, one might lose more "weight", but not neccessarily more fat. Again, as you probably know their are a number of factors involved here. So, in a sense the saying "working up a good sweat", does have some truth to it, in meaning the person is working out hard, but it's not neccessarily an accurate indicator, of how much fat one is losing.

Cheers

filetshow
02-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Hey guys,

You both had very valid points and I agree with both of your posts. Bottome line is you both stated at the end of your replies: Sweat may be a good indicator of an intense workout but has no bearing on the amount of fat you lose. If you are losing the same amount of fat when you sweat excessively as when you don't and your main goal is to lose fat why do you care if you aren't dropping sweat like no tomorrow?

Canadian_AF
02-12-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by filetshow
Hey guys,

You both had very valid points and I agree with both of your posts. Bottome line is you both stated at the end of your replies: Sweat may be a good indicator of an intense workout but has no bearing on the amount of fat you lose. If you are losing the same amount of fat when you sweat excessively as when you don't and your main goal is to lose fat why do you care if you aren't dropping sweat like no tomorrow?

Well said, when I'm lifting or performing cardio, I always monitor my HR, normally after every exercise, just to make sure it's elevated enough, if it's not, I'll normally jump on the row machine for a few minutes to drive it back up. I honestly could care less, how much I'm sweating although if you do sweat alot, it does feel great when your done, and the cool air hits your face :P.

On a side note.. when i'm doing HIIT, for 20-25 minutes, I normally sweat like a mad person.

Cheers

Uninspired
02-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Jane Ho, man that's dirty

NexLevel
02-13-2004, 09:23 AM
I piss people off I think, because I sweat so damned much. I see fairly fit looking people not even breaking a sweat doing mad cardio exercises.

And, if I were them, I'd be at least TRYING to break a damn sweat. I think they've probably hit a plateau, and it's just barely maintenance cardio, maybe.

Me? I've probably sweat like this my whole life (I'm 33), both when healthy and when not so.

So, I laugh when people look at me in my current phase (272lbs/5'11", 22% BF), and say : "What a freaking fat ass! Look at that dude sweat! He's gonna have an anuerism <sp>!"

In reality, yeah, I'm obese and getting slimmer, but that's another story. I know this isn't a motivational thread, and it's probably going to make some moan with "Oh gawd, here's another newbie trying to .... blah blah blah", but, here's what keeps me going in my quest (since Jan 1st):

-> I'm going to be more educated than they are about fitness, health and nutrition

-> I'm going to work smart AND hard, instead of just smart or just hard

-> I'm going to be more dedicated than they are, because of my superior knowledge and effort

-> I've already overcome MANY difficult things (I won't go into) in life, and fitness is just another one to deal with

-> I will NOT laugh at them when I arrive at the stops on my journey, because I will then be where they are now.

Nex

Canadian_AF
02-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by NexLevel
I piss people off I think, because I sweat so damned much. I see fairly fit looking people not even breaking a sweat doing mad cardio exercises.

And, if I were them, I'd be at least TRYING to break a damn sweat. I think they've probably hit a plateau, and it's just barely maintenance cardio, maybe.

Me? I've probably sweat like this my whole life (I'm 33), both when healthy and when not so.

So, I laugh when people look at me in my current phase (272lbs/5'11", 22% BF), and say : "What a freaking fat ass! Look at that dude sweat! He's gonna have an anuerism <sp>!"

In reality, yeah, I'm obese and getting slimmer, but that's another story. I know this isn't a motivational thread, and it's probably going to make some moan with "Oh gawd, here's another newbie trying to .... blah blah blah", but, here's what keeps me going in my quest (since Jan 1st):

-> I'm going to be more educated than they are about fitness, health and nutrition

-> I'm going to work smart AND hard, instead of just smart or just hard

-> I'm going to be more dedicated than they are, because of my superior knowledge and effort

-> I've already overcome MANY difficult things (I won't go into) in life, and fitness is just another one to deal with

-> I will NOT laugh at them when I arrive at the stops on my journey, because I will then be where they are now.

Nex

Yes, it is true then when your overweight, and exerting yourself physically, most likely you will sweat alot. But remember, some people are just prone to sweat no matter how lean, and in shape they are, I'm 6'0, 180, 10-12% BF, and I sweat like a machine when I workout.

Something you will have to learn as well, that I told a friend of mine when he started working out with me, is that you have to stop worrying about other people watching what your doing, who gives a goddamn, if you sweating like a beast. Don't pay attention to those morons, if they laugh at you, it's because they're insecure about themselves, or they always act like an immature 12 year old. Honestly, if you were in my gym, and I seen someone laughing at you, because you were sweating, i'd be heading over to ask that person if they had a problem, realllly fast. Everyone goes to go to the gym to get in shape, everybody is at different levels. Concentrate on your goals, and keep plugging away you will get there. If I was to give anyone advice when training it's FOCUS, Block everything else out around you. I always train with music, and crank it, and go all out, it helps me out alot.

Take Care bro, don't worry about the haters, you will get there, just keep training consistently, and diet correctly, and you'll be on your way in no time.

Cheers