PDA

View Full Version : Ask the chiropractor anything about

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

oziem
04-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Chiropractic.
Chiropractic is the philosophy, science and art of correcting hindrance (known as subluxation) to nervous system control of the body. Chiropractors perform adjustments (correction by hand) of these subluxations and the body performs more optimally.

Curing symptoms of disease by taking something powerful (like Cell-Tech) is medicine.

Chiropractic and medicine are different.

Chiropractic finds early sources (references of spinal manipulation) recorded in history by Hippocrates and Paul in the New Testament c. 2300 and 1950 years ago. Modern chiropractic was established in the USA in 1895.

Chiropractic is widely used by successful athletes. I care for athletes of all ages. Two of my mentors were chiropractors for the Green Bay Packers, the US Olympic Weight Lifting Team, respectively.

Bring on the questions. I will try to to answer as well as possible. Thanks for your patience in advance.

Dr. Oziem

oziem
04-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Injury to discs (herniation/rupture)
Injury to other joints (sprains/dislocations)
impinged nerves
fractures
how to improve athletic performance with chiro

Prevention of spine and other joint injury

supps for joint health

stretching, strengthening

Tucdaddy
04-12-2007, 07:22 PM
What's the best conservative treatment of a herniated disc?

Horseradish
04-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Awesome, thanks for starting this thread! I have a number of questions:

1. I went to a chiropractor when I was in 7th grade to get some relief from a bad lower back injury from wrestling. The chiropractor used some kind of gun/hammer tool that would tap on my back and around my joints, and this tool would make a clicking noise. This kind of adjustment did not seem to do anything for my back problem, so I gave up on chiropractors for a while.

Then, a couple of years ago I went to a different chiropractor who used physical power to literally press on my back and make it pop. All of his adjustments seemed much more aggressive and direct than the previous chiropractor. He also made me lay on my back, put one leg over, and used his body weight to pop it again. Finally, he gave me a neck adjustment by giving me a "Metal Gear" neck breaker that popped my neck like crazy. These adjustment worked wonders for me -- this chiropractor helped to cure a compressed long thoracic nerve that gave me a winged scapula, as well as some postural deficiencies and bad neck and back pain that I was experiencing. This guy really does great work, and I've recommended him to many.

Okay, now for the actual question :D: These two chiropractors seemed so different in their approach. Is there a formal distinction between these two approaches? I'd like to know so that when I move in the autumn I can find a chiropractor who uses the more aggressive adjustment techniques.

2. If chiropractic treatment is so great, why is it scoffed at by the (Western) medical community?

3. As a computer scientist, I don't have a great deal of knowledge regarding medical research. Is there literature supporting chiropractic treatment? How does this literature compare with literature in support of other treatments in terms of quantity and quality?

4. The chiropractor I go to claims to be able to help with all sorts of problems, including things like eczema, fibromyalgia, depression, common cold, etc., by doing spinal and other adjustments. He also says that there are lifestyle changes and other things that must supplement the chiropractic adjustments in order for the treatments to work, e.g. someone with fibromyalgia should avoid certain food products and get plenty of exercise. However, I am skeptical, as everyone should be, that some of these diseases can be treated by adjustments (especially something like eczema). Can you give an example of how something like fibromyalgia is affected by chiropractic adjustments? Also, where is the scientific literature to back it up? If the literature doesn't exist, why not?

5. What would you recommend for someone with cancer? Is this a domain that can be addressed by chiropractic care?

6. When, if ever, will the chiropractic hypothesis become the chiropractic theory?

Thank you very much for opening this thread! I'll give you reps as soon as I can!

oziem
04-12-2007, 07:35 PM
What's the best conservative treatment of a herniated disc?

Chronic or acute?

Acute needs icing and a specific chiro analysis. Getting to the problem quickly means quicker results. Adjustments when done right are very effective 95% of the time. Then walking is the best short term rehab.

Chronic discs need even less adjusting but should be monitored on a regular checkup basis. Lifestyle habits/activities may require some modifications to insure the long term integrity of the disk.

I firmly am of the opinion proficient GONSTEAD chiropractors are highly efficient at correcting herniated disk subluxations.

Tucdaddy
04-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Chronic or acute?

Acute needs icing and a specific chiro analysis. Getting to the problem quickly means quicker results. Adjustments when done right are very effective 95% of the time. Then walking is the best short term rehab.

Chronic discs need even less adjusting but should be monitored on a regular checkup basis. Lifestyle habits/activities may require some modifications to insure the long term integrity of the disk.

I firmly am of the opinion GONSTEAD chiropractors are the most efficient and correcting herniated disk subluxations.

Thanks

Maxed
04-12-2007, 07:48 PM
I just wanna say that in January this year I couldnt walk for more then 10 minutes without extremem pain! and I had to stop working! then I went to a chiropractor and after my first adjustment I felt so much better and its getting better and better over time :) I hate it when people think a Chiropractor is the same as a Physio!!

oziem
04-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Awesome, thanks for starting this thread! I have a number of questions:

I will insert my answers under the questions.

1. I went to a chiropractor when I was in 7th grade to get some relief from a bad lower back injury from wrestling. The chiropractor used some kind of gun/hammer tool that would tap on my back and around my joints, and this tool would make a clicking noise. This kind of adjustment did not seem to do anything for my back problem, so I gave up on chiropractors for a while.

Then, a couple of years ago I went to a different chiropractor who used physical power to literally press on my back and make it pop. All of his adjustments seemed much more aggressive and direct than the previous chiropractor. He also made me lay on my back, put one leg over, and used his body weight to pop it again. Finally, he gave me a neck adjustment by giving me a "Metal Gear" neck breaker that popped my neck like crazy. These adjustment worked wonders for me -- this chiropractor helped to cure a compressed long thoracic nerve that gave me a winged scapula, as well as some postural deficiencies and bad neck and back pain that I was experiencing. This guy really does great work, and I've recommended him to many.

Okay, now for the actual question :D: These two chiropractors seemed so different in their approach. Is there a formal distinction between these two approaches? I'd like to know so that when I move in the autumn I can find a chiropractor who uses the more aggressive adjustment techniques.

The first was likely an activator (instrument adjuster). The second a diversified chiropractor (much like osteopath manipulator). If you want diversified ask for that. I like Gonstead as it tends to be assertive hands on but little to no twisting is involved.

2. If chiropractic treatment is so great, why is it scoffed at by the (Western) medical community?

People have different versions of history. Most agree there is a turf war between health professionals and the AMA has tried to absorb other professions under their control. Read about Wilk vs. the AMA lawsuit. The chiro profession successfully sued the AMA for antitrust violations in the 60's.

3. As a computer scientist, I don't have a great deal of knowledge regarding medical research. Is there literature supporting chiropractic treatment? How does this literature compare with literature in support of other treatments in terms of quantity and quality?

Look up in Medicus Indicus or Spine or JMPT journals for chiro research. Authors like Bogduk, Kapandji, Plaugher. Tons of research you would not even think had to do with chiro. Plaugher is the main guy validating Gonstead. There is a TEXTBOOK OF CLINICAL CHIROPRACTIC, A BIOMECHANICAL APPROACH by Plaugher which has oodles comparing methods etc.

4. The chiropractor I go to claims to be able to help with all sorts of problems, including things like eczema, fibromyalgia, depression, common cold, etc., by doing spinal and other adjustments. He also says that there are lifestyle changes and other things that must supplement the chiropractic adjustments in order for the treatments to work, e.g. someone with fibromyalgia should avoid certain food products and get plenty of exercise. However, I am skeptical, as everyone should be, that some of these diseases can be treated by adjustments (especially something like eczema). Can you give an example of how something like fibromyalgia is affected by chiropractic adjustments? Also, where is the scientific literature to back it up? If the literature doesn't exist, why not?

The thinking is fibromyalgia that is strictly a neurogenic cause is related to thyroid breakdown (thyroid calcitonin management controls pain levels) from nerve impingement caused by whiplash injury. Cervical spine adjustments have helped many with this problem. Most cases are anecdotal. I happen to think the people have bad necks but also are toxic from the pain pills and have become even more sensitive to systemic pain. Upper cervical chiros hve had great success with these cases.

5. What would you recommend for someone with cancer? Is this a domain that can be addressed by chiropractic care?

I treat cancer patients. Tends to make people more comfortable and prolong the inevitable in the terminal cases. I went to school with several "cured" by chiros. Though I believe there is severe nerve dysfunction in cancers there are also usually toxic catylists and poor nutrition and this needs to be addressed. I think chiro, detoxes, nutrition, good attitude, maybe medicine (chemo and rad should be last resorts) and certainly prayer are all valid.

6. When, if ever, will the chiropractic hypothesis become the chiropractic theory?

Beyond that now though people still debate. It is actual for you right?

Thank you very much for opening this thread! I'll give you reps as soon as I can!

Thanks for your encouragement Horseradish!

Horseradish
04-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks for your encouragement Horseradish!

Thank you very much!

oziem
04-12-2007, 07:55 PM
I hope folks can discern my answers following the ? marks.

oziem
04-12-2007, 07:59 PM
1 The first was likely an activator (instrument adjuster). The second a diversified chiropractor (much like osteopath manipulator). If you want diversified ask for that. I like Gonstead as it tends to be assertive hands on but little to no twisting is involved.

2 People have different versions of history. Most agree there is a turf war between health professionals and the AMA has tried to absorb other professions under their control. Read about Wilk vs. the AMA lawsuit. The chiro profession successfully sued the AMA for antitrust violations in the 60's.

3 Look up in Medicus Indicus or Spine or JMPT journals for chiro research. Authors like Bogduk, Kapandji, Plaugher. Tons of research you would not even think had to do with chiro. Plaugher is the main guy validating Gonstead. There is a TEXTBOOK OF CLINICAL CHIROPRACTIC, A BIOMECHANICAL APPROACH by Plaugher which has oodles comparing methods etc.

The thinking is fibromyalgia that is strictly a neurogenic cause is related to thyroid breakdown (thyroid calcitonin management controls pain levels) from nerve impingement caused by whiplash injury. Cervical spine adjustments have helped many with this problem. Most cases are anecdotal. I happen to think the people have bad necks but also are toxic from the pain pills and have become even more sensitive to systemic pain. Upper cervical chiros hve had great success with these cases.

I treat cancer patients. Tends to make people more comfortable and prolong the inevitable in the terminal cases. I went to school with several "cured" by chiros. Though I believe there is severe nerve dysfunction in cancers there are also usually toxic catylists and poor nutrition and this needs to be addressed. I think chiro, detoxes, nutrition, good attitude, maybe medicine (chemo and rad should be last resorts) and certainly prayer are all valid.

6 Beyond that now though people still debate. It is actual for you right?

oziem
04-12-2007, 08:02 PM
I just wanna say that in January this year I couldnt walk for more then 10 minutes without extremem pain! and I had to stop working! then I went to a chiropractor and after my first adjustment I felt so much better and its getting better and better over time :) I hate it when people think a Chiropractor is the same as a Physio!!

DC and PT are different and useful under different circumstances. Glad the adjustment helped you. Very Cool.

oziem
04-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks

You Betcha

Bareknuckles
04-12-2007, 08:21 PM
How much do chiro normally charge for each session? I went to a chiro recently after a minor car accident, and the bill came out to be $1400+ for a total of 7 sessions with one X-ray taken during the first session, so is $200 a session seem a bit inflated? I have medical insurance, but I'm afraid that I might have to share some of the costs? what should I do? Thanks much

oziem
04-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Hoo Boy.
Well if you think there is a problem.
1 talk to the doc first and try to work it out reasonably.
2 talk to the state board if you have a true problem with fees.

if you investigate you will probably find this is normative for that practice and reasonable for that practice. PI practices make lots of money and charge according to the case. Family doctors on cash basis charge more affordable out of pocket fees.

If you had been described the fees in advance then you paid what was expected. If not, well it doesn't hurt to have a dialogue addressing your concerns.

I would say no doctor gets paid what they're worth if they save your life. But many are charging as much as possible to make up for losses. Just like most other professional businesses.

degrat38
04-12-2007, 08:41 PM
First off, thank you for answering our Q's.

1) I sometimes get pain in the side of my neck, usually from "sleeping wrong". Happens a few times a year, sometimes the pain is bad enough where I can't really move it side to side, and it hurts just to support my head. Today near the end of my shift at work my neck started hurting again. I didn't do anything to make it hurt, but it hurts moving it side to side. Would going to a Chiro every once in a while to get treatments help to prevent/cure this sort of problem?

2) Would you recommend going in for an exam every once in a while to get "treated" even if you aren't aware of any back problems you are having. I ask cause I have been thinking about making an appt just to see if everything is ok, maybe get re-aligned or something and see if my quality of life is better.

Thank you

oziem
04-12-2007, 08:49 PM
First off, thank you for answering our Q's.

1) I sometimes get pain in the side of my neck, usually from "sleeping wrong". Happens a few times a year, sometimes the pain is bad enough where I can't really move it side to side, and it hurts just to support my head. Today near the end of my shift at work my neck started hurting again. I didn't do anything to make it hurt, but it hurts moving it side to side. Would going to a Chiro every once in a while to get treatments help to prevent/cure this sort of problem?

2) Would you recommend going in for an exam every once in a while to get "treated" even if you aren't aware of any back problems you are having. I ask cause I have been thinking about making an appt just to see if everything is ok, maybe get re-aligned or something and see if my quality of life is better.

Thank you

I would find a DC who will work to correct the problem. That may mean you follow a finite plan to that end.
Once it is fixed, checkups would be recommended.
I personally don't think any health care should be vague open ended dependence for life. Nor do I think the patient should just lead the care plan. Doc and patient ought to work together to get the body to heal itself then leave it alone.

oziem
04-12-2007, 08:50 PM
I think you are on the right track in your thinking BTW.

oziem
04-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Oh I and I should thank you for your expression of gratitude. I am glad to have the opportunity to help. I find it a privilege. It's nice to be received well.

Baker19
04-12-2007, 08:58 PM
What drove you to make this thread? ;)

Seriously though:

Ive been having pain in my shoulder seated dumbbell pressing, it feels like my RC what are some exercises, stretches or anything I could do for it? Any creams or anything?

benjamin0
04-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Where did you go to school and are you a bodybuilder? i am a Kinesiology student planning in pursuing chiro when i am finished university...

oziem
04-12-2007, 09:10 PM
What drove you to make this thread? ;)

Seriously though:

Ive been having pain in my shoulder seated dumbbell pressing, it feels like my RC what are some exercises, stretches or anything I could do for it? Any creams or anything?

One of the above posters thought it would be an effective means of helping. I am trying it out until told other wise by the forum or my wife whichever comes first.

Warmups with light dumbell internal/external rotation. Ice after.
I think ice is more effective than creams.
Facepulls are good for strengthening. Broomstick raises for flexibibility. See the other thread by another OP (rotator cuff fixes) , he did a great job and has a link.

I do hope this helps you.

oziem
04-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Where did you go to school and are you a bodybuilder? i am a Kinesiology student planning in pursuing chiro when i am finished university...

First congrats on your professional pursuits! Do look into Gonstead when you study chiro.
I graduated from Sherman College. I have studied also at Gonstead and have visited nearly all the schools in the US.

I would like to think of myself as a bodybuilder. I think most of my time this year was first spent on the losing fat forum.
I am a former rugby player, lift weights, am trying to build mass, lose fat and improve my fitness.
Oh and I have met Lou Ferrigno, Ric Flair and Jay Cutler, does that count?

benjamin0
04-12-2007, 09:18 PM
First congrats on your professional pursuits! Do look into Gonstead when you study chiro.
I graduated from Sherman College. I have studied also at Gonstead and have visited nearly all the schools in the US.

I would like to think of myself as a bodybuilder. I think most of my time this year was first spent on the losing fat forum.
I am a former rugby player, lift weights, am trying to build mass, lose fat and improve my fitness.
Oh and I have met Lou Ferrigno, Ric Flair and Jay Cutler, does that count?

What exactly do you mean by "I have studied also AT Gonstead"??? Gonstead is not a place, either bad english or...

Exod
04-12-2007, 09:20 PM
What is the current stance by chiropractors on immunizations? I read that they were against it not too long ago? What is the reason behind this?

THanks

oziem
04-12-2007, 09:22 PM
What exactly do you mean by "I have studied also AT Gonstead"??? Gonstead is not a place, either bad english or...

Gonstead's Clinic has also been a teaching facility, research facility, seminar site, meeting place. Gonstead had the largest solo private practice clinic, the longest lasting teaching seminar in chiropractic history. I have spent about 1000 hours of study "at" Gonstead.

You may be right about bad grammar.

benjamin0
04-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Gonstead's Clinic has also been a teaching facility, research facility, seminar site, meeting place. Gonstead had the largest solo private practice clinic, the longest lasting teaching seminar in chiropractic history. I have spent about 1000 hours of study "at" Gonstead.

You may be right about bad grammar.

My apologies, i assumed because it was was a technique that I was either misreading or you were miswriting. I wasn't aware there was an official Gonstead Clinic.

oziem
04-12-2007, 09:30 PM
What is the current stance by chiropractors on immunizations? I read that they were against it not too long ago? What is the reason behind this?

THanks

Mixed stance. When I use the terms many or some below they are generalizations.

Like the population who strives to be informed about issues of efficacy and safety of vaccines, some chiros (as some medical folks and etc) are pro some against the useage. Many early chiropractors (many folks in the 1800's in general) were very skeptical and many violently opposed to vaccination.

Religiously/philisophically many were/are opposed on an issue of sanctity of human blood.
Scientifically many were/are opposed due to potential hazards to the nervous system, respiratory system and the "immune" system.
Ethically many were/are opposed suspected vaccines to be a hoax and ineffective at preventing disease or enhancing human physical potential.

DD Palmer writes on the history of these early struggles of chiros, the population and government vaccine institution.

Hope this answers your question without any bias.

oziem
04-12-2007, 09:31 PM
My apologies, i assumed because it was was a technique that I was either misreading or you were miswriting. I wasn't aware there was an official Gonstead Clinic.

You're cool Brother.

ryuten
04-12-2007, 10:18 PM
how do you know if you're hurt from deadlifting?

i maxed out and i ended up rounding my lower back on the 2 reps i did. if i'm standing straight or sitting down, then i don't feel anything. if i hunch over or bend down, then i'll feel something, but it's not pain. it's almost kind of a soreness. it kinda feels tight.

u think it's something that will go away after some more rest?

Andrew69
04-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Interesting thread.
As a current patient of a chiro, ill keep tabs on this thread.

I highly recommend chiropractic care for anyone. My whole family (including two kids 6 and 8) have visited a chiro at various times and I will continue to do so for life..I just feel that good after being adjusted :)

johnnyboyox
04-12-2007, 10:36 PM
I strained my rectus abdominus 6 months ago and it still hasn't healed. Since the abs and the back are closely related, is there anything a chiropractor can do to speed the healing?

150shot
04-13-2007, 12:41 AM
hello, I work in a sports med. Orthopedic Medical Group, the two back surgeons are totally against Chiros, and say they waste money and so on...they are more for PT, and other ways of treatement...my GF goes to a chiro and swears by them.....although I havent got a full answer from the Orthopods, why are they SOO against Chiros...?

Andrew69
04-13-2007, 01:23 AM
hello, I work in a sports med. Orthopedic Medical Group, the two back surgeons are totally against Chiros, and say they waste money and so on...they are more for PT, and other ways of treatement...my GF goes to a chiro and swears by them.....although I havent got a full answer from the Orthopods, why are they SOO against Chiros...?

In a word...money!

-N-
04-13-2007, 01:43 AM
Doctor,
Mine seems to be a very common problem and I was wondering if you could explain it.
While doing bicep bar curls(even EZ),I get a severe,almost radiating pain about 4 inches down from my elbow(towards the wrist) along the bone on the side of the forearm.I read it was some sort of inflammation and that rest was the only solution.After having gone off lifting for about a month when I started again,its come back.
Infact,now it hurts while doing d/b curls and pullups also.I have also been training my forearms quite a bit,but that does not seem to be making any difference.
Thank-you for your time.

TourMaline
04-13-2007, 02:19 AM
Hey Mr. Chiropractor, I am a second year chiropractic student (its a 5 year course here in Australia- 3 yr degree and 2 year masters). So far we have convered ALOT of motion palpation and basic peripheral adjustments (GH, elbow, radioulnar & radiocarpal joint adjustments). How often do you do peripheral work in your practice and are you in wellness based chiropractic or sports based? Ahh also how important is motion palpation in a clinical sense in your opinion?

I am pondering whether I should treat chiropractic as PURELY dealing with musculoskeletal problems for general wellness when I graduate. I am not sure if I really beleive in the whole vertebral subluxation complex...

Thank you for your time!

Maxed
04-13-2007, 04:54 AM
personally people If I had back pain or in my case Hip/leg pain I would see a chiro deffinatly, I didnt even bother going to a doctor as my mother went to a doctor and said she couldnt be fixed and she should stop working and then she heard about chiropractors and now she is fine and can do everything and before she couldnt pick somthing up off the floor!. Here in Australia I only pay $45 a session! which isnt bad when your whole well being revolves around it.

IronAbrams
04-13-2007, 05:57 AM
Have you ever visited the New York Chiropractic College? I live about 10 miles away and go there for my treatments, all very top notch people.

Next year kinesiology student here as well, planning on CC after graduation.

EctoHooligan
04-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Hello. I have pain in various parts of my back and neck. How do I know whether my best course of action is physical therapy versus chiropractic? If I see a DC, he/she will tell me to do chiro. If I see a physical therapist, he/she will tell me to do physical therapy.

Are there some basic guidelines for a health consumer? I don't have time to waste doing this and doing that, without getting results. Thanks in advance.

oziem
04-13-2007, 01:10 PM
how do you know if you're hurt from deadlifting?

i maxed out and i ended up rounding my lower back on the 2 reps i did. if i'm standing straight or sitting down, then i don't feel anything. if i hunch over or bend down, then i'll feel something, but it's not pain. it's almost kind of a soreness. it kinda feels tight.

u think it's something that will go away after some more rest?

Ryuten It sounds like a positive muscle response under stress. After a period of rest, the muscle should become stronger and bigger.
If the muscle is severe after three days then you may suspect a problem.
Keep the back straight on your DL's it is a great exercise if done correctly.

oziem
04-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Interesting thread.
As a current patient of a chiro, ill keep tabs on this thread.

I highly recommend chiropractic care for anyone. My whole family (including two kids 6 and 8) have visited a chiro at various times and I will continue to do so for life..I just feel that good after being adjusted :)

Excellent,
I take care of families, all my kids have been cared for too

oziem
04-13-2007, 01:15 PM
I strained my rectus abdominus 6 months ago and it still hasn't healed. Since the abs and the back are closely related, is there anything a chiropractor can do to speed the healing?

Possibly. If there is an impinged nerve associated or spinal imbalance causing instability.
I would also check with a massage therapist or a trainer or maybe an Egoscioue type PT who could detect a chronic muscular deficiency and help you train it.
On the remote side, if neither a chiro or muscle specialist can help you may wish to get an internist to check your abdomen.

oziem
04-13-2007, 01:16 PM

The old time orthopedists were often taught at med school that chiros were bad. But times have changed.
Some docs (both chiros and MD's) dislike each other out of fear of competition.

oziem
04-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Doctor,
Mine seems to be a very common problem and I was wondering if you could explain it.
While doing bicep bar curls(even EZ),I get a severe,almost radiating pain about 4 inches down from my elbow(towards the wrist) along the bone on the side of the forearm.I read it was some sort of inflammation and that rest was the only solution.After having gone off lifting for about a month when I started again,its come back.
Infact,now it hurts while doing d/b curls and pullups also.I have also been training my forearms quite a bit,but that does not seem to be making any difference.
Thank-you for your time.

I am assuming the pain is on the radial (thumb side) of the forearm.
Typically the accessory muscles involved in pronation and supination (especially) are straining to catch up to the heavy work load of the larger biceps.
Rest and alternating moist heat and ice may be helpful. A massage can work.
I had it and found supine chins and straight curls with no supination or pronation helped. Hammers hurt. Even pull downs can hurt.
Of course the die-hardcore will work through the pain but there is no harm in changing things up and resting.

I don't think you have a radius sprain otherwise I'd say check the elbow.

oziem
04-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Hey Mr. Chiropractor, I am a second year chiropractic student (its a 5 year course here in Australia- 3 yr degree and 2 year masters). So far we have convered ALOT of motion palpation and basic peripheral adjustments (GH, elbow, radioulnar & radiocarpal joint adjustments). How often do you do peripheral work in your practice and are you in wellness based chiropractic or sports based? Ahh also how important is motion palpation in a clinical sense in your opinion?

I am pondering whether I should treat chiropractic as PURELY dealing with musculoskeletal problems for general wellness when I graduate. I am not sure if I really beleive in the whole vertebral subluxation complex...

Thank you for your time!

I set extremities daily but remind you that the spine is 95% the major problem with a concomitant sprain of an extremity.
I call my office a family practice because the kids should have the opportunity. I do care for numerous athletes, and also advocate wellness (that is protect your correction with checkups). I don't zero in a population or condition I care for them all. I do however let the parents know it's a good idea to check their kids.
Motion palpation is critical in assessing extremities/peripheral problems.
Yet with acute pain and spasm the analysis is limited.
Therefore visualization, static palpation, x-ray imaging with comparative analysis, case history remain more reliable comprehensive criteria. Thermoraphy (temposcope, nervoscope, etc) is critical to spine exams but not useful to the extremities.
Check out the Gonstead analysis for extremities. He took what the early motion palpation experts (such as Gillet) used and put it in a package which is very effective.

Much success to you doctor!

oziem
04-13-2007, 01:31 PM
personally people If I had back pain or in my case Hip/leg pain I would see a chiro deffinatly, I didnt even bother going to a doctor as my mother went to a doctor and said she couldnt be fixed and she should stop working and then she heard about chiropractors and now she is fine and can do everything and before she couldnt pick somthing up off the floor!. Here in Australia I only pay $45 a session! which isnt bad when your whole well being revolves around it.

Australia, Norway and the US are the best countries for chiropractic.

oziem
04-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Have you ever visited the New York Chiropractic College? I live about 10 miles away and go there for my treatments, all very top notch people.

Next year kinesiology student here as well, planning on CC after graduation.

I have taken courses through NYCC but not been there. I have an esteemed colleague who practices near the school.
If you think you would like to leave the area; Life, Palmer and Sherman are good choices for chiro college. Do check out Gonstead clubs and seminars, they will help you do top notch work.

oziem
04-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Hello. I have pain in various parts of my back and neck. How do I know whether my best course of action is physical therapy versus chiropractic? If I see a DC, he/she will tell me to do chiro. If I see a physical therapist, he/she will tell me to do physical therapy.

Are there some basic guidelines for a health consumer? I don't have time to waste doing this and doing that, without getting results. Thanks in advance.

If you need something fixed go to a chiro who works to correct the subluxation.

If you need stregthening, rehab and therapy go to a PT.

Don't go to a chiro for PT and don't go to a PT for an adjustment. Let the experts focus on their area of expertise.

oziem
04-13-2007, 01:39 PM

My view is work to fix a problem (chiro first)
then if there is atrophy go to a therapist (PT, LMT or perhaps a trainer)
then if there is limitation of matter (body cannot be repaired or strengthened) which cannot be helped by either above, go to an MD.

This is a generalization. Some therapists fix things some chiros help strengthen things...

FasterStronger
04-13-2007, 04:05 PM
i have three very long winded questions lol thank thank you if you decide to answer them! #3 is the one i wanted answered the most.

1. i was a side sleeper my whole life...then i had shoulder surgery so i became a back sleeper

the only comfortable way for me to sleep was by crossing my legs....however what this did was mess up my hips so that it hurt to walk etc....so i finally put a pillow between my legs ...like between the knees so that i wouldnt cross my legs lol....my hips feel much better but my question is:

do u think there is something that is over tight (maybe groin hamstring?) that is making me cross my leggs so aggresivly in my sleep (if i dont physiclaly block it)?

2. are shoulder and neck problems ever interconnected? i had surgery for labrum subluxtion in both shoulders and i noticed that my neck could be popped around the time my shoulders started having problems....like as in it wont pop from me circling my head....but if theres tension one way, i twist my head the opposite way and can pull the neck back into alignment side to side that way...and i feel relief....but then later int he day i can do it again...so it almost seems like subluxion of the neck??? my PT and my ortho didnt think much of it..i mean im not crazy they could feel it...they just shrugged it off as odd and looked at the shoulder. do u thinkt he neck had anything to do with the shoulder and might int he future if its not fixed?

3. AC joint . ever after my shoulder surgery on one of the arms i had clavicle pain...and looking in the mirror i can even see the clavicle and sternum connection looks diff then the other...anywho especially when my scapula muscles were weak like the first few months if i ever hunched shoulders in (like bending down to pick somethin up, sittin in a hammock, in a really soft bed) when i got up clavicle thing (im assuming the trouble is at the AC joint and not at the sternum) like pops back in.....after my shoulder surgery rehab this happens much much much less....like instead of once a day its once a week or maybe even less now....my ortho noticed and confirmed it was ac joint....but didnt think much of it since my actaul labrum is fine.

anyways: could it be like a mild seperated shoulder that is never going to quite heal??? its been 7 months since labrum surgery...so if the ac joint thing hasnt healed are the other muscles strong enough to just hold it together for my lifetime?

two days ago i was doin lat pull downs ...good form, in front, not too wide...not even too heavy (i had done the same wieght last week) i warmed up too...and my left shoulder started to hurt....so im wondering if this is the ac joint thing or maybe just a strianed rear dealt/lat (i did rear delts and therefore some back scapula stabilizers the day before)

if it is the ac...would there be any reason i couldnt do lat pull downs even when the soarness goes away? are those stabilizer muscles strong enough that this ac joint popping wont hinder me from doin lat pull downs? (and no the ac joint doesnt pop when doin lat pull downs) (i still think it might be my rear delt)

ChubbzterTF
04-13-2007, 04:14 PM
I sprained my ankle playing basketball a few weeks ago and even though I can walk on it, it doesn't have full range of motion. I haven't been able to do squats because my right ankle only hinges about half as far as my left one and it's getting annoying. When I get to the break point where it won't move with the right ankle, it feels like I could get it to move further if it somehow popped like a knuckle. Is there anything I can do to speed my ankle's recovery so I can get back doing leg workouts? Thank you.

oziem
04-13-2007, 05:22 PM
i have three very long winded questions lol thank thank you if you decide to answer them! #3 is the one i wanted answered the most.

1. i was a side sleeper my whole life...then i had shoulder surgery so i became a back sleeper

the only comfortable way for me to sleep was by crossing my legs....however what this did was mess up my hips so that it hurt to walk etc....so i finally put a pillow between my legs ...like between the knees so that i wouldnt cross my legs lol....my hips feel much better but my question is:

do u think there is something that is over tight (maybe groin hamstring?) that is making me cross my leggs so aggresivly in my sleep (if i dont physiclaly block it)?

2. are shoulder and neck problems ever interconnected? i had surgery for labrum subluxtion in both shoulders and i noticed that my neck could be popped around the time my shoulders started having problems....like as in it wont pop from me circling my head....but if theres tension one way, i twist my head the opposite way and can pull the neck back into alignment side to side that way...and i feel relief....but then later int he day i can do it again...so it almost seems like subluxion of the neck??? my PT and my ortho didnt think much of it..i mean im not crazy they could feel it...they just shrugged it off as odd and looked at the shoulder. do u thinkt he neck had anything to do with the shoulder and might int he future if its not fixed?

3. AC joint . ever after my shoulder surgery on one of the arms i had clavicle pain...and looking in the mirror i can even see the clavicle and sternum connection looks diff then the other...anywho especially when my scapula muscles were weak like the first few months if i ever hunched shoulders in (like bending down to pick somethin up, sittin in a hammock, in a really soft bed) when i got up clavicle thing (im assuming the trouble is at the AC joint and not at the sternum) like pops back in.....after my shoulder surgery rehab this happens much much much less....like instead of once a day its once a week or maybe even less now....my ortho noticed and confirmed it was ac joint....but didnt think much of it since my actaul labrum is fine.

anyways: could it be like a mild seperated shoulder that is never going to quite heal??? its been 7 months since labrum surgery...so if the ac joint thing hasnt healed are the other muscles strong enough to just hold it together for my lifetime?

two days ago i was doin lat pull downs ...good form, in front, not too wide...not even too heavy (i had done the same wieght last week) i warmed up too...and my left shoulder started to hurt....so im wondering if this is the ac joint thing or maybe just a strianed rear dealt/lat (i did rear delts and therefore some back scapula stabilizers the day before)

if it is the ac...would there be any reason i couldnt do lat pull downs even when the soarness goes away? are those stabilizer muscles strong enough that this ac joint popping wont hinder me from doin lat pull downs? (and no the ac joint doesnt pop when doin lat pull downs) (i still think it might be my rear delt)

Dear FS
3. You have stated you have some AC dysfunction that has improved since the surgery. You know which exercises help which don't. And if you are convinced you need to work the rear delt definitely do it. The rear stabilizers are the stress point (muscle wise) in these circumstances. Work them progressively slowly.
2. Again I agree you seem to know your body even better than the doctor (imagine that!) Yes with rotator cuff, frozen shoulder (extreme bursitis), separated shoulder there is always cervicothoracic damage to disk and nerve (that's why the joint and muscles stay weak even after exercise, surgery etc.) T3 disk is usually present in the worst cases.
1. I stated in another thread there is a close relation to pelvis dysfunction and shoulder dysfunction. The sacrum affects the scapula big time and the shoulder affects the pelvis when there is subluxation present. People compensate in sleep (the most dangerous is sleeping with your arm under your head). All these combine to make a big time problem. Shoulders are tough to fix properly.
Be sure you sleep with neutral posture. Work your rear delt and the SITS rotator cuff. Consider getting your pelvis and spine checked and stay fit. Don't be afraid to take rest from the gym either.

Hope my answers are appropriate to what you are trying to determine. I pray you keep progressing.
O

oziem
04-13-2007, 05:26 PM
I sprained my ankle playing basketball a few weeks ago and even though I can walk on it, it doesn't have full range of motion. I haven't been able to do squats because my right ankle only hinges about half as far as my left one and it's getting annoying. When I get to the break point where it won't move with the right ankle, it feels like I could get it to move further if it somehow popped like a knuckle. Is there anything I can do to speed my ankle's recovery so I can get back doing leg workouts? Thank you.

Ankle sprains (inversion type) are very simple to adjust. The talus needs to be tractioned gently by hand and then slipped in medialward back on the calcaneus.
Basically someone needs to tug on your foot. It can feel almost good as new with as little as one adjustment. It does take two to six weeks (as all joint sprains do) to heal once it is in correct position.

If you can find someone to adjust it do. Whether you can or not, icing is recommended.

mattman
04-13-2007, 05:36 PM
i have a big question. for the last several months i am almost non stop feeling the need to rotate my head all the way around....dipping the head down and then turning it to the right and going all the way back and around - a 360. i do it until i hear a popping noise. its become a bad habit and i really need to get rid of it. my parents make fun of it and i know people in the gym probably think i'm weird if they see me do it. thanks!

someguy20
04-13-2007, 05:41 PM
First off your great for doing this.

Ok my question is about some pain ive been experiencing lately.

This pain is located in the side of my hip it started out of the right side and stayed there for around 3 months, its not a severe pain but definitly annoying it seemed to go down my leg and although I dont beleive its sciata pain I could feel it.

Went to a chiro he said my right hip was 8 cm above left and adjusted me, around 4th appointment pain shifted to the Left side.

About a week ago my 5th appointement he adjusted and now its back on the right and hurting bad.

Do you beleive this is a pelvis or nerve problem or what are you ideas and how would you recomend fixing this?

Extra info: I have been sitting alot lately
My hamstrings are very tight cannot raise to 90% even after 2 weeks of stretching.

oziem
04-13-2007, 05:52 PM
i have a big question. for the last several months i am almost non stop feeling the need to rotate my head all the way around....dipping the head down and then turning it to the right and going all the way back and around - a 360. i do it until i hear a popping noise. its become a bad habit and i really need to get rid of it. my parents make fun of it and i know people in the gym probably think i'm weird if they see me do it. thanks!

Did you get around to the big question?
If it is, 'is this dangerous?' The answer is: potentially yes.
If you are asking, 'should I go see someone?' I again answer yes, but do not get your neck twisted in a rotational fashion. Go to a specific chiropractor,
Gonstead, Pierce or Upper Cervical Method (anyone who will not rotate the neck).
If you are that young and already feel you have to twist and pop your neck I think you are overdue to take care of it. It will probably only get worse as you age if you neglect or mistreat it.

oziem
04-13-2007, 05:57 PM
First off your great for doing this.

Ok my question is about some pain ive been experiencing lately.

This pain is located in the side of my hip it started out of the right side and stayed there for around 3 months, its not a severe pain but definitly annoying it seemed to go down my leg and although I dont beleive its sciata pain I could feel it.

Went to a chiro he said my right hip was 8 cm above left and adjusted me, around 4th appointment pain shifted to the Left side.

About a week ago my 5th appointement he adjusted and now its back on the right and hurting bad.

Do you beleive this is a pelvis or nerve problem or what are you ideas and how would you recomend fixing this?

Extra info: I have been sitting alot lately
My hamstrings are very tight cannot raise to 90% even after 2 weeks of stretching.

If the pain only goes to the knee and walking does not help it then the pelvis is still the culprit.
However, if the pain travels back and forth and goes down the leg to the foot you may (also) have a lumbar disk problem which is being slightly alleviated by the adjustments.
Give your doc some more time to settle you down, let him know how you are doing each visit.
Keep me posted, if it is just your pelvis you ought to be much better within a few days to weeks. The disk if present could take that long or slightly longer. Try to be patient.
Again let us know how you are progressing in a few days.

someguy20
04-13-2007, 06:01 PM
If the pain only goes to the knee and walking does not help it then the pelvis is still the culprit.
However, if the pain travels back and forth and goes down the leg to the foot you may (also) have a lumbar disk problem which is being slightly alleviated by the adjustments.
Give your doc some more time to settle you down, let him know how you are doing each visit.
Keep me posted, if it is just your pelvis you ought to be much better within a few days to weeks. The disk if present could take that long or slightly longer. Try to be patient.
Again let us know how you are progressing in a few days.

Another question I can run and do pretty much everything without going to extrememes on most days without pain wouldnt a lumbar disk being pinched hurt to run?

Also whats with the pain switching sides?

oziem
04-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Another question I can run and do pretty much everything without going to extrememes on most days without pain wouldnt a lumbar disk being pinched hurt to run?

Also whats with the pain switching sides?

Running maybe. But moving the hips in a striding fashion...
Actually the opposite. Movement would relieve pain temporarily for a disk but exacerbate the pelvis. You may have some disk pressure exciting the sciatic bilaterally. If the disc moves just a little in a positive fashion the symptoms can switch sides. But if the disk can be moved forward a little deeper the symptoms should disperse. Rarely this phenomenon occurs in a bilateral pelvis subluxation which I presume your doctor believes it is. If the pelvis settles down but the legs do not, think disk problem. The doc may need to set that disk once the pelvis is better.
Just citing documented and experienced case management facts. Of course I am guessing to your actual situation. I have not examined you he has.

oziem
04-13-2007, 06:27 PM
someguy
I think I misread your question to be a comment. Hope you got the info you needed. Walking is the best rehab of a sore low back unles pelvis is involved. Once adjusted the pelvis is optimally worked on steps/stairs.

someguy20
04-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Okay 1 more question doc said I should be running, im not sure if this is a good idea but then again hes the chiro you know so would you recomend running?

Also strengthening my core?
What about hamstrings ?
and gluteus?

jmonty
04-13-2007, 06:35 PM
how long is a chiropractor's education?

someguy20
04-13-2007, 06:37 PM

Also interisted in this as it seems very good carrer.

oziem
04-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Okay 1 more question doc said I should be running, im not sure if this is a good idea but then again hes the chiro you know so would you recomend running?

Also strengthening my core?
What about hamstrings ?
and gluteus?

All of the above could be advantageous eventually. I agree with you that if you feel apprehensive, you should gradually work up to it. Try walking first. Again, don't be afraid to communicate with your doctor, chiro or medic. If you are concerned, you may wish to tell him.

oziem
04-13-2007, 06:48 PM

It's long but accelerated curriculum exist if you go year round. You can get it done in three years. Of course you need prerequisite education.

oziem
04-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Also interisted in this as it seems very good carrer.

If you are interested in helping people, the career can be very gratifying in many ways. You get to use your mind, hands and body. Most of all you can serve people from the heart, change lives dramatically and get paid for it.
Write chiropractic colleges for their syllabus registration packet.
Life, Palmer and Sherman are some of the top schools.

someguy20
04-13-2007, 06:55 PM
If you are interested in helping people, the career can be very gratifying in many ways. You get to use your mind, hands and body. Most of all you can serve people from the heart, change lives dramatically and get paid for it.
Write chiropractic colleges for their syllabus registration packet.
Life, Palmer and Sherman are some of the top schools.

So 4 years of colledge max? Also hows the salary, and what are the odds of killing a person?

RImuscle
04-13-2007, 07:02 PM
I was using a chiro until recently, he told me that anyone with bad shoulders, like myself, should not do internal and external rotations because it can cause further damage, but I see you recommend it as does my trainer. So who's right?

*I have tendonitis and bursitis in both shoulders*

FasterStronger
04-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Dear FS
3. You have stated you have some AC dysfunction that has improved since the surgery. You know which exercises help which don't. And if you are convinced you need to work the rear delt definitely do it. The rear stabilizers are the stress point (muscle wise) in these circumstances. Work them progressively slowly.
2. Again I agree you seem to know your body even better than the doctor (imagine that!) Yes with rotator cuff, frozen shoulder (extreme bursitis), separated shoulder there is always cervicothoracic damage to disk and nerve (that's why the joint and muscles stay weak even after exercise, surgery etc.) T3 disk is usually present in the worst cases.
1. I stated in another thread there is a close relation to pelvis dysfunction and shoulder dysfunction. The sacrum affects the scapula big time and the shoulder affects the pelvis when there is subluxation present. People compensate in sleep (the most dangerous is sleeping with your arm under your head). All these combine to make a big time problem. Shoulders are tough to fix properly.
Be sure you sleep with neutral posture. Work your rear delt and the SITS rotator cuff. Consider getting your pelvis and spine checked and stay fit. Don't be afraid to take rest from the gym either.

Hope my answers are appropriate to what you are trying to determine. I pray you keep progressing.
O

one more questioni bet a lot of poeple could hear:

after my surgeries i try really hard to keep good posture on my upper back (ie shoudlers back, no hunched imbalance on pecs and shoulder...) but this however has created sort of lardosis in that my shoulders back and my abs elongate and push out...

so i tried strengthenin my abs so that i could have good shoulder posture and yet not have an over done arch in the lower back....but the excersises indirectly tightened up my hip flexors (like a lot of ab excersises do) which pulls on the lower back and thus didnt help my wierd posture:

so what ab excersise do u know of can i do to fix my bad lower back posture and that wont tightn the hip flexors (which would actually make it worse)???

thx alot!

...im gonna assume i should lay off any good mornings or erector muscle strengthening becuase they are already stronger than my abs....

oziem
04-13-2007, 07:53 PM
So 4 years of colledge max? Also hows the salary, and what are the odds of killing a person?

It could take longer if you go slowly of course. Chiropractors potentially can command a strong salary especially in private practice if prolific. Chiropractic has the best safety record of all health care professionals and some of the lowest malpractice premiums.
The Gonstead Clinic has seen millions of patients in 75 years and not one wrongful death associated, that is an awesome statistic.

oziem
04-13-2007, 07:54 PM
I was using a chiro until recently, he told me that anyone with bad shoulders, like myself, should not do internal and external rotations because it can cause further damage, but I see you recommend it as does my trainer. So who's right?

I think you would prosper more from the rope pull/broomstick exercises (for bursitis) initially. My diplomatic answer is both are right then.

oziem
04-13-2007, 08:01 PM
one more questioni bet a lot of poeple could hear:

after my surgeries i try really hard to keep good posture on my upper back (ie shoudlers back, no hunched imbalance on pecs and shoulder...) but this however has created sort of lardosis in that my shoulders back and my abs elongate and push out...

so i tried strengthenin my abs so that i could have good shoulder posture and yet not have an over done arch in the lower back....but the excersises indirectly tightened up my hip flexors (like a lot of ab excersises do) which pulls on the lower back and thus didnt help my wierd posture:

so what ab excersise do u know of can i do to fix my bad lower back posture and that wont tightn the hip flexors (which would actually make it worse)???

thx alot!

...im gonna assume i should lay off any good mornings or erector muscle strengthening becuase they are already stronger than my abs....

Judging by your last statement (which is what I was going to look into muscle wise), I then have to assume you need to look into the pelvis and lumbosacral joint posture and how it is affected your global posture of the entire frame above.
Full spine xrays could indicate if the lowback is causing this weird effect and how to improve it. You seem to have done alot of muscle homework, perhaps a good adjustment will correct this.
[I blew out my low back on a heavy squat. In one week my spine went from kypohotic, to lordotic, to normal over a progressive period of correction. And boy did my abs, erectors, pecs, traps hurt on different occasions]

FasterStronger
04-13-2007, 08:02 PM

i had surgery on both shoulders from one of the best shoulder docs in california about 8 months ago and had been deelin many diff shoulder issues for about 2 years before that and ive finished my rehab from the surgieries and ive helped a few friends who had problems...so i feel i can help u.

my doctor says right, that external rotation can be bad if you do it beyond the "neutral position" as my doc would call it (the neutral position is like if you were to hold a pistol) but its very important to strengthen the rotator cuff otherwise...

so maybe u should do the rotators but only do the external rotators up till the nuetral position...and on the internal rotators you should start at the neutral and then rotate in....also fold a hand towel under your arm pit for support.

if you follow those procedures you should be strengtrhenin and not hurting your arm.

also id recommend you see a physical therapist.

trainners are just trainers, they are at schools to be onsight to tape people up and help with on field injurys and maybe strength and conditioning. ive dealt with both and the pt;s usually are a lot better on their info and trainning....ask a pt about scapula stabilization exersises....it usaully starts as tendonitis and can get worse to other things if you dont nip it in the bud...so id recommend doing the stabilizing excersises even if they dont think u have stability issues....

lift*then*PWN
04-13-2007, 08:09 PM
i have been seeing a chiropractor ever since i got in a go-kart crash and got whiplash. my neck hurt for awhile and he really helped fix that problem. but he also did another unexpected thing, he made my very frequent headaches almost obsolete. that alone is immeasurable. i just have to praise you chiropractors for doing wat you do despite the grief you get from others in the "industry"

THANKS A LOT

RImuscle
04-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Thank You FasterStronger that was very informative!

oziem
04-13-2007, 08:12 PM
I would like to put out there an illuminating concept.

Muscles are attached to bones by tendons, Ligaments allow movement of bone to bone via muscle action.
Bones are connected to bones firmly by cartilage.
The whole skeletal framework is controlled by nerves.
Muscles depend on alot of other proper functioning systems in order to work properly.
Very often the muscle has a problem because either it is receiving insufficient impulse or nourishment from an impinged nerve and has therefore improper tone.
If bones are out of place the length of the muscle may change over time.
Damaged cartilage is so difficult for the body to repair, and the break down causes nerve and bone and muscle decay.

This is a more physiologic explanation of subluxation effects. Chiropractic adjustments therefore may help affected muscles by correcting the cause directly.

oziem
04-13-2007, 08:13 PM
i had surgery on both shoulders from one of the best shoulder docs in california about 8 months ago and had been deelin many diff shoulder issues for about 2 years before that and ive finished my rehab from the surgieries and ive helped a few friends who had problems...so i feel i can help u.

my doctor says right, that external rotation can be bad if you do it beyond the "neutral position" as my doc would call it (the neutral position is like if you were to hold a pistol) but its very important to strengthen the rotator cuff otherwise...

so i would do the rotators but only do the external rotators up till the nuetral position...and on the internal rotators you should start at the neutral and then rotate in....also fold a hand towel under your arm pit for support.

if you follow those procedures you should be strengtrhenin and not hurting your arm. also id recommend you see a physical therapist. trainners are just trainers, they are at schools to be onsight to tape people up and help with on field injurys and maybe strength and conditioning. ive dealt with both and the pt;s usually are a lot better on their info and trainning....ask a pt about scapula stabilization exersises....it usaully starts as tendonitis and can get worse to other things if you dont nip it in the bud...so id recommend doing the stabilizing excersises even if they dont think u have stability issues....

Reasonable explanation, good job

oziem
04-13-2007, 08:15 PM
i have been seeing a chiropractor ever since i got in a go-kart crash and got whiplash. my neck hurt for awhile and he really helped fix that problem. but he also did another unexpected thing, he made my very frequent headaches almost obsolete. that alone is immeasurable. i just have to praise you chiropractors for doing wat you do despite the grief you get from others in the "industry"

THANKS A LOT

very nice. Thanks for de-owning the chiros!

oziem
04-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Thank You FasterStronger that was very informative!

Please remember to also take care of the bursitis which is an altogether another issue from tendonitis or rotator cuff tear.

|ceman
04-13-2007, 08:19 PM
I always thought that tendons were bone to muscle and ligaments were bone to bone?

Also, unrelated, but chiropractic question...I see my chiropractor regularly. I went there before I started weight training for back pain (which I believe largely due to weight training and weight loss, has gone away). My chiro will occasionally lie me on my back and have me raise one arm (straight from the shoulder) perpendicular to my body and resist pressure as he tries to push it back down. He will then do the other arm and if one arm is weaker (easier for him to push down), he will make an adjustment on that shoulder joint and retest. In every case, the shoulder is stronger and able to resist him.

However, since weight training regularly, my deltoids are getting stronger and now I can resist him anytime. Now, I can tell when I am weaker in one arm than the other, but he cannot anymore. Should I be telling him which arm is weaker to help him make his diagnosis?

balaclavaboy
04-13-2007, 08:25 PM
is riding a bicycle bad for your spine?

What about picking up boxes off the floor? I seem only to be able to keep my back straight for things about rack pull height. Am I better off doing super wide foot position deadlift for really low things? also what is the best s

many thanks

oziem
04-13-2007, 08:29 PM
I always thought that tendons were bone to muscle and ligaments were bone to bone?

Also, unrelated, but chiropractic question...I see my chiropractor regularly. I went there before I started weight training for back pain (which I believe largely due to weight training and weight loss, has gone away). My chiro will occasionally lie me on my back and have me raise one arm (straight from the shoulder) perpendicular to my body and resist pressure as he tries to push it back down. He will then do the other arm and if one arm is weaker (easier for him to push down), he will make an adjustment on that shoulder joint and retest. In every case, the shoulder is stronger and able to resist him.

However, since weight training regularly, my deltoids are getting stronger and now I can resist him anytime. Now, I can tell when I am weaker in one arm than the other, but he cannot anymore. Should I be telling him which arm is weaker to help him make his diagnosis?

I made a bad in attempts to differentiate cartilage and ligament I apologize.
Feel free to communicate this muscle strength issue to your doctor.

oziem
04-13-2007, 08:32 PM

Little Dan I owe you for the correction. My bad! You deserve a prize.

balaclavaboy
04-13-2007, 08:33 PM
hows my posture. do you think its a bad idea to rest my gut on there like that?

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/717/posturech1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

oziem
04-13-2007, 08:34 PM

What about picking up boxes off the floor? I seem only to be able to keep my back straight for things about rack pull height. Am I better off doing super wide foot position deadlift for really low things? also what is the best s

many thanks

The key is keeping the back straight and the weight as close to your body as possible. The sumo DL's make the object have to travel less vertically.

oziem
04-13-2007, 08:36 PM

many thanks

B biking erect either sitting up or leaning is preferred. It's hard to keep your low back in a good posture long term in a racing position. Try mixing up your cardio exercises.

oziem
04-13-2007, 08:38 PM
hows my posture. do you think its a bad idea to rest my gut on there like that?

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/717/posturech1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I think I caught myself doing the same thing! Doesn't look like you are causing a major problem there. Keep sitting erect. If you get up even for a moment about every 45 minutes you can easily maintain good posture even while being on a forum for the night.

balaclavaboy
04-13-2007, 08:43 PM
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/2568/postureasshangxi8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

should I try to slide my ass backwards and make my spine natural
curvy like

)

rather than straight like

l

balaclavaboy
04-13-2007, 08:47 PM
what do you think of those hi back office chairs you can rest your head on?

balaclavaboy
04-13-2007, 08:51 PM
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/8083/posturelegts8.jpg

this is my upper and lower legs.

maybe my chair is too high?

oziem
04-13-2007, 09:19 PM
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/2568/postureasshangxi8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

should I try to slide my ass backwards and make my spine natural
curvy like

)

rather than straight like

l

You need to sit firmly up against the chair but you may like what is called a lumbar support (an elliptical pillow) to keep your lowback---)))))

oziem
04-13-2007, 09:22 PM
what do you think of those hi back office chairs you can rest your head on?

Executive chairs may be nice if they support your posture and cervical spine well. Very individual. Sit in a chair, try it out. Same with shoes and matresses.

xxflash
04-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Okay oziem you might be able to help me a 2 weeks from today I was wrestling around with my little 16 year old cousins at a family reunion kinda thing anyways I had like 3 of them on me and they took my down and I landed on carpet like to the side on my left shoulder usually I would get straight back up and be fine but not this time and it wasnt that hard either I felt something like pop right when I landed.. I denied to go to the emergency room and well its 2 weeks later and its way better but still not good enough to work out.. and for about 4 days I could barely move my arm and I just kept it still.. right now I can move it out around without much pain but not too fast and sometimes certain movements hurt a lot that I do by accident so what should I do

johnnyboyox
04-13-2007, 10:01 PM
I don't know if I misunderstood, but did you say that with any shoulder injury there is nerve damage?

clevertd
04-13-2007, 10:57 PM
oziem, if you help me solve this, I'll... well, I'm not sure, but I'll definitely be grateful! I've started looking up sports medicine doctors in my areas as it recently became clear that a general practitioner didn't know what was wrong with me.

Backstory: I have/had global muscular instability, my shoulders used to dislocate all the time, did physical therapy, but my left shoulder has always been weaker and you can see the difference in rear deltoids when looking in the mirror.

Current Issue: I get a numbness/tingling in the back of my left shoulder, goes down my left lat, sometimes all the way down to my lower back. My right shoulder has gotten a very small sample of this recently, happening only in the lower back and front deltoid, though. I also have a bit of shoulder impingement, but try to do the scarecrow exercises and broomstick stretch as much as I can.

Another problem: The aforementioned general practitioner did an electrode test on my elbow to check for tendinitis, said nothing was out of the accepted range. He then had me sent to get an x-ray or a CT scan to see if there were any pinched nerves. Came back normal as well. However, the numbness still persists and I don't feel like wasting my time hearing the same "diagnosis" once again.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

EDIT: I'm in NC as well.

TourMaline
04-14-2007, 12:13 AM
I set extremities daily but remind you that the spine is 95% the major problem with a concomitant sprain of an extremity.
I call my office a family practice because the kids should have the opportunity. I do care for numerous athletes, and also advocate wellness (that is protect your correction with checkups). I don't zero in a population or condition I care for them all. I do however let the parents know it's a good idea to check their kids.
Motion palpation is critical in assessing extremities/peripheral problems.
Yet with acute pain and spasm the analysis is limited.
Therefore visualization, static palpation, x-ray imaging with comparative analysis, case history remain more reliable comprehensive criteria. Thermoraphy (temposcope, nervoscope, etc) is critical to spine exams but not useful to the extremities.
Check out the Gonstead analysis for extremities. He took what the early motion palpation experts (such as Gillet) used and put it in a package which is very effective.

Much success to you doctor!

Ahh yes thank you very much! I am very interested in Gonstead already- look forward to learning it next semester. Thanks once again.

-N-
04-14-2007, 01:49 AM
I am assuming the pain is on the radial (thumb side) of the forearm.
Typically the accessory muscles involved in pronation and supination (especially) are straining to catch up to the heavy work load of the larger biceps.
Rest and alternating moist heat and ice may be helpful. A massage can work.
I had it and found supine chins and straight curls with no supination or pronation helped. Hammers hurt. Even pull downs can hurt.
Of course the die-hardcore will work through the pain but there is no harm in changing things up and resting.

Umm..no.My mistake,I didn't specify.Its on the bone you can trace from your elbows right down to your little figer(pinkie).
Please refer to post #35 of this thread for further details.

oziem
04-14-2007, 05:23 AM
Okay oziem you might be able to help me a 2 weeks from today I was wrestling around with my little 16 year old cousins at a family reunion kinda thing anyways I had like 3 of them on me and they took my down and I landed on carpet like to the side on my left shoulder usually I would get straight back up and be fine but not this time and it wasnt that hard either I felt something like pop right when I landed.. I denied to go to the emergency room and well its 2 weeks later and its way better but still not good enough to work out.. and for about 4 days I could barely move my arm and I just kept it still.. right now I can move it out around without much pain but not too fast and sometimes certain movements hurt a lot that I do by accident so what should I do

You may want to rule out a shoulder sprain (and possibly spine involvement, see my answer below). You can look up online for a gonstead chiropractor
www.gonstead.com or
www.gonsteadseminar.com

and find a doctor or referral in your area. If you need more info beyond that, write me or pm me I'll try to assist in your search.

oziem
04-14-2007, 05:26 AM
I don't know if I misunderstood, but did you say that with any shoulder injury there is nerve damage?

With any joint injury there is at least minor local nerve damage. In any MAJOR joint injury 95% of the time there is central nerve inflammation at the spine level. C1-T3, whereas T3 often is present in the worst situations. The pelvis at the sacroiliac level can also refer pain to the shoulder due to a biomechanical disruption of motion.

oziem
04-14-2007, 05:34 AM
oziem, if you help me solve this, I'll... well, I'm not sure, but I'll definitely be grateful! I've started looking up sports medicine doctors in my areas as it recently became clear that a general practitioner didn't know what was wrong with me.

Backstory: I have/had global muscular instability, my shoulders used to dislocate all the time, did physical therapy, but my left shoulder has always been weaker and you can see the difference in rear deltoids when looking in the mirror.

Current Issue: I get a numbness/tingling in the back of my left shoulder, goes down my left lat, sometimes all the way down to my lower back. My right shoulder has gotten a very small sample of this recently, happening only in the lower back and front deltoid, though. I also have a bit of shoulder impingement, but try to do the scarecrow exercises and broomstick stretch as much as I can.

Another problem: The aforementioned general practitioner did an electrode test on my elbow to check for tendinitis, said nothing was out of the accepted range. He then had me sent to get an x-ray or a CT scan to see if there were any pinched nerves. Came back normal as well. However, the numbness still persists and I don't feel like wasting my time hearing the same "diagnosis" once again.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

EDIT: I'm in NC as well.

TD
it sounds to me you have a chronic spinal cord pressure (this is more common than you think) from long term disk inflammation. This can happen from a fall, whiplash, or sports injury. The key sign and symptom here:
You have bilateral motor weakness and radicular pain going down your body, either a major branch of brachial plexus but more likely the cord is swollen. I would look carefully to the upper cervical spine. The correction may be quite simple and results dramatic. Give it a try, I think you will be glad you did. There are some fine chiros in NC. Try the links above for a doc in your area.
Keep in touch regarding your progress if you follow these recommendations, thanks.
dr. oziem

oziem
04-14-2007, 05:35 AM
Ahh yes thank you very much! I am very interested in Gonstead already- look forward to learning it next semester. Thanks once again.

Sweet mate! Sydney has some of the highest concentration of exceptional Gonstead docs in the world (fights envy).

|ceman
04-14-2007, 05:39 AM
I made a bad in attempts to differentiate cartilage and ligament I apologize.
Feel free to communicate this muscle strength issue to your doctor.

I'll never trust a chiropractor again. ;)

Just kidding. Thanks for the honesty. :)

oziem
04-14-2007, 05:44 AM
Umm..no.My mistake,I didn't specify.Its on the bone you can trace from your elbows right down to your little figer(pinkie).
Please refer to post #35 of this thread for further details.

No mistake, I could use some more info though;
I am still unclear if this is in both elbows or just one. If both elbows:
In this case (I experienced myself this a time or two) tracing the ulnar nerve back to the spine you may find a chronic sore disk around C7 (the big bump at the base of the neck, the vertebra prominens.
Poke around there. If it is achey at all you may wish to get a chiro to check you out...
If it's just one elbow you may have slightly sprained the proximal ulna which can be reset with a slight anterior medial nudge.
I don't think this is muscular but a joint/nerve issue.

Keep me posted on your decisions and progress if you please. Write me again if I may assist further.

oziem
04-14-2007, 05:47 AM
I'll never trust a chiropractor again. ;)

Just kidding. Thanks for the honesty. :)

I appreciate you. I will try to keep the grammar mistakes (and term useage) down in this practice.

Keith Wassung
04-14-2007, 06:55 AM
FYI

an information article about Athletic performance and Chiropractic.

I made the best gains of my life shortly after beginning Chiropractic care.

Keith

http://www.riverhorsepubl.com/files/Athletic_Performance.doc

benjamin0
04-14-2007, 08:39 AM
It's long but accelerated curriculum exist if you go year round. You can get it done in three years. Of course you need prerequisite education.

In Canada, you need 3 years of undergrad education, but it is very competitive to get in, because there is only one school (In Toronto). Most people only get in once they have a degree though. Then your chiropractic education is 4 years with 2 month summers.

In the states, you need specific undergrad prerequisites (certain amount of biology, chem, physics, humanities, etc) before you can get in. They prefer you have a degree though it is not required (depending on where u plan on practising) Once you are in, it is just as Oziem said, 3.25 years all year round. THis is composed of 2 years of education and one year of internship (canada also does one year internship).

In Australia, you do 3 years of a "chiro" degree, so to speak, and then do your masters in "chiro" as well, totalling 5 years.

someguy20
04-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Oziem I woke up this morning, and now my left side pelvis is aching a bit but my right side is perfect contrary to yesterday where my right leg and pelvis were hurting, is that odd?

Could it be my sleeping habits?
Could sleeping on my side cause this?
and if so what would you recomend I do pull the covers tight or something so I cant turn?

someguy20
04-14-2007, 01:02 PM
In Canada, you need 3 years of undergrad education, but it is very competitive to get in, because there is only one school (In Toronto). Most people only get in once they have a degree though. Then your chiropractic education is 4 years with 2 month summers.

In the states, you need specific undergrad prerequisites (certain amount of biology, chem, physics, humanities, etc) before you can get in. They prefer you have a degree though it is not required (depending on where u plan on practising) Once you are in, it is just as Oziem said, 3.25 years all year round. THis is composed of 2 years of education and one year of internship (canada also does one year internship).

In Australia, you do 3 years of a "chiro" degree, so to speak, and then do your masters in "chiro" as well, totalling 5 years.

Also are the calsses difficult? How about the cost?

FasterStronger
04-14-2007, 01:34 PM
i really should have been a doctor lol:

i perfectly pinpointed whats buggin my left shoulder, not the ac joint thing at all like i asked u about....its my infraspinatus

i strained the same muscle on the other side a few months ago but doin something totally different (its fine now) so i didnt think bout it. i did some strength tests on myself using bands and i found external rotations were kind of painful but better than when i first hurt it...then put my arms up like a ref says Touchdown and rotated the left arm towards the median line (not the exact infraspinatus stretch, but would still stretch the posterior chain) and that is kind of tight. so im pretty sure i strained a rotator cuff muscle and il juts rehab it a bit and slowly progress back....

benjamin0
04-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Also are the calsses difficult? How about the cost?

They SAY they are extremely difficult, but some people say that about highschool, haha. It depends on your preparation and such. The classes are fairly well the same as university, but MORE of them at once (like the equivelent to 25-30 credit hours per semester).

the cost is outrageous, pretty well averaging about $20,000 a year tuition, pretty well everywheres, give or take a couple grand here and there.

oziem
04-14-2007, 04:22 PM
FYI

Keith

Thanks for sharing and are you really Keith or just a fan?

oziem
04-14-2007, 04:23 PM

Thanks Ben!

oziem
04-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Oziem I woke up this morning, and now my left side pelvis is aching a bit but my right side is perfect contrary to yesterday where my right leg and pelvis were hurting, is that odd?

Could it be my sleeping habits?
Could sleeping on my side cause this?
and if so what would you recomend I do pull the covers tight or something so I cant turn?

Again with your history your symptoms could be unpredictable. If you have an inflammed nerve I hope you didn't use heat by the way.
If your pelvis is a problem sleeping on it could exacerbate the SI joint.

Let me know what the results of a specific exam are when you get one.

oziem
04-14-2007, 04:28 PM

i perfectly pinpointed whats buggin my left shoulder, not the ac joint thing at all like i asked u about....its my infraspinatus

i strained the same muscle on the other side a few months ago but doin something totally different (its fine now) so i didnt think bout it. i did some strength tests on myself using bands and i found external rotations were kind of painful but better than when i first hurt it...then put my arms up like a ref says Touchdown and rotated the left arm towards the median line (not the exact infraspinatus stretch, but would still stretch the posterior chain) and that is kind of tight. so im pretty sure i strained a rotator cuff muscle and il juts rehab it a bit and slowly progress back....

Sounds good. If you are on target you should get the anticipated result then.

oziem
04-14-2007, 04:29 PM

Not too late to be a doc. The average age of chiro students is still in the mid 30's. I know a fella who graduated at 61.

oziem
04-14-2007, 04:34 PM
FYI

Keith

Keith I am really exicted to have you on this board. I have the article about you in my office research folder.
Guys if you want good unbiased info on lifting weights, health in general and especially chiropractic you ought to ask Keith.
He is a well respected authority and will help you.

oziem
04-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Keith if you're ever in Charlotte look me up. I do believe you spoke at Sherman College my senior year right?
God bless you brother.

oziem
04-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Which Mr. Olympia is a practicing chiropractor?
(easy)

Which Mr. Olympia is a rep for the Intl Chiropractic Assoc.?
(medium)

T-Wrecks
04-14-2007, 04:48 PM
A question I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer.

About 2 months or so back I started getting a terrible lower back pain. Its above my tailbone and to the right, near my spine.

It hurts to run for any distance. When doing deadlifts, and after squats.

It will hurt to bend over also.

Do you have any idea what this could be?

I've been meaning to get into a chiropractor, but I haven't had the time.

Thanks in advance.

-Terik.

benjamin0
04-14-2007, 04:49 PM
(1) Franco Columbo (graduated from Cleveland)

Keith Wassung
04-14-2007, 04:58 PM
I am almost sure it is Arnold since the ICA is involved with the Arnold Classic

iroczinoz
04-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Thought I would ask a question relating to my problem.

Lately the frequency of me getting a jarred neck has increased. This does not happen when moving my head though. It happens when I move my shoulders, usually performing lateral raises but not all the time.

A couple weeks back it happens when I was in a car and the driver went over the speed hump a bit faster and it jarred my neck slightly.

When I lift my shoulder to a certain hight doing lateral raises I can really feel at times that it might pop and cause the jarred neck.

The pain is pretty bad and it can take between 1-3 weeks to go away fully. The pain seems like it is coming from the neck bone that buldges out from behind the neck just where the back starts.

Is this possible to get treated by a physio or chiropractor or am I going to be just wasting money?

thanks!

PS. I went to my local GP and he crakced my neck on both sides probably cracked 6 times on each side. Then he said to wait and see if my problem is better otherwise to see a physio or chiro to fix the problem.

Ajk_Lpool
04-14-2007, 05:55 PM
First, thanks in advance. Great to have you on the forums. I would be ever so greatful if you could give me your thoughts on a problem I have.

This is not major, infact barely minor, but it is causing me a bit of stress in the current area's;

My left hamstring seems to have a small twinge whenever i perform an exercise curling it. It occurs right near the knee (on the opposite side of course). Any thoughts on this?

Secondly, my left calv also gets a bit of a twinge at the back when I squat down. When I kneel down and stand back up, I feel it sharply. Any idea's what this is?

Sorry for not being too specific, but I'm not really sure how else to describe it.

FasterStronger
04-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Not too late to be a doc. The average age of chiro students is still in the mid 30's. I know a fella who graduated at 61.

ya well ive always been real into anatomy and kinesology and i did well in my college intro biology class (A). but in highschool i wasnt that great at chem and physics or calculus (like not really bad, but bad enough that i didnt like them, b-)... sofar in college ive stayed away from science just knowing how hard it;d be to keep a 3.5 (with the other sciences im not great at) to go to med school...but u never know, i might take another bio class just for fun.

im not sure if i read it correctly, but did u say chiro's dont have to go to med school? instead they go to an almost like post grad thing of their own? or at least in the USA?

oziem
04-14-2007, 06:38 PM
A question I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer.

About 2 months or so back I started getting a terrible lower back pain. Its above my tailbone and to the right, near my spine.

It hurts to run for any distance. When doing deadlifts, and after squats.

It will hurt to bend over also.

Do you have any idea what this could be?

I've been meaning to get into a chiropractor, but I haven't had the time.

Thanks in advance.

-Terik.

Terik
Likely an acute sacroiliac. A chiropractor trained in both vertebral spine and pelvis adjustments should be able to determine it.

oziem
04-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Thought I would ask a question relating to my problem.

Lately the frequency of me getting a jarred neck has increased. This does not happen when moving my head though. It happens when I move my shoulders, usually performing lateral raises but not all the time.

A couple weeks back it happens when I was in a car and the driver went over the speed hump a bit faster and it jarred my neck slightly.

When I lift my shoulder to a certain hight doing lateral raises I can really feel at times that it might pop and cause the jarred neck.

The pain is pretty bad and it can take between 1-3 weeks to go away fully. The pain seems like it is coming from the neck bone that buldges out from behind the neck just where the back starts.

Is this possible to get treated by a physio or chiropractor or am I going to be just wasting money?

thanks!

PS. I went to my local GP and he crakced my neck on both sides probably cracked 6 times on each side. Then he said to wait and see if my problem is better otherwise to see a physio or chiro to fix the problem.

Hi I
Wow about the GP.
I think it is an upper thoracic disk. These tend to need a very specific adjustment to fix. I would check it out with a chiro. If you get a correction it is money well spent.
Keep us posted.

oziem
04-14-2007, 06:45 PM
First, thanks in advance. Great to have you on the forums. I would be ever so greatful if you could give me your thoughts on a problem I have.

This is not major, infact barely minor, but it is causing me a bit of stress in the current area's;

My left hamstring seems to have a small twinge whenever i perform an exercise curling it. It occurs right near the knee (on the opposite side of course). Any thoughts on this?

Secondly, my left calv also gets a bit of a twinge at the back when I squat down. When I kneel down and stand back up, I feel it sharply. Any idea's what this is?

Sorry for not being too specific, but I'm not really sure how else to describe it.

Hi Ajk,
thanks for your kind words.
Since the pains are just proximal/distal or superior/inferior to the knee however terms you like to use,
I would certainly get the knee checked. It could be a lumbar nerve root problem though. Again just guessing, the exam clinches it. There is a doc in Manchester who may be able to fix you up well.
Hope this helps.

Kaitou
04-14-2007, 06:47 PM
I posted this in its own thread, but this one seems to get more visitors, so here goes:

Whenever I do bicep curls of any moderate weight (for me, 20 lbs or more) My elbow on my right arm pops and hurts quite a bit. I'm not sure how to describe where it is, but I'll try: pretend like you're doing a bicep curl, and it's in between the bump closest to the side of your body and the main elbow bump. It is limiting my progress. Any ideas? Are my weights too heavy or something? I can do about 10 reps with them. Also, this hurts when I do tricep work as well.

oziem
04-14-2007, 06:50 PM
ya well ive always been real into anatomy and kinesology and i did well in my college intro biology class (A). but in highschool i wasnt that great at chem and physics or calculus (like not really bad, but bad enough that i didnt like them, b-)... sofar in college ive stayed away from science just knowing how hard it;d be to keep a 3.5 (with the other sciences im not great at) to go to med school...but u never know, i might take another bio class just for fun.

im not sure if i read it correctly, but did u say chiro's dont have to go to med school? instead they go to an almost like post grad thing of their own? or at least in the USA?

Pre-chiro studies and pre-med are identitical really. And chiro college is basically (oversimplifying to help get the point across) the equivalent of med school plus adjusting and philosophy. Depending on state or country you may need a little more or less undergrad education.
I was a poor science student before the pre-requisite program. Once I knew I was definitely going to be a DC I joined the pre-req program at a chiro college (Life College) and I got near straight A's on an accelerated course curriculum.
If it's really meant to be...You can do it too.

oziem
04-14-2007, 06:54 PM
I posted this in its own thread, but this one seems to get more visitors, so here goes:

Whenever I do bicep curls of any moderate weight (for me, 20 lbs or more) My elbow on my right arm pops and hurts quite a bit. I'm not sure how to describe where it is, but I'll try: pretend like you're doing a bicep curl, and it's in between the bump closest to the side of your body and the main elbow bump. It is limiting my progress. Any ideas? Are my weights too heavy or something? I can do about 10 reps with them. Also, this hurts when I do tricep work as well.

Kaitou,
Similar to another case above in the thread.
Possible ulna sprain. If you have any shoulder and pinkie side wrist issues it may be an ulnar nerve inflammatory process. (Lower cervical spine issues).
A chiropractor trained in specific cervical adjusting as well as extremity adjusting could determine if one of these or another problem exists.
Lots of good chiropractors in TX.

oziem
04-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Benjuito for answering
Dr. Franco Columbu (Mr. O and Arnold's Chiropractor)

and Keith Wassung for revealing
Arnold Schwarzenegger as a long time promoter of the ICA

body building and chiro go well together.

oziem
04-14-2007, 07:00 PM
how in the world do I give a rep?

oziem
04-14-2007, 07:04 PM
how in the world do I give a rep?

s'ayeet I got it now

Kaitou
04-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Kaitou,
Similar to another case above in the thread.
Possible ulna sprain. If you have any shoulder and pinkie side wrist issues it may be an ulnar nerve inflammatory process. (Lower cervical spine issues).
A chiropractor trained in specific cervical adjusting as well as extremity adjusting could determine if one of these or another problem exists.
Lots of good chiropractors in TX.

Actually, back when I was in school, it used to hurt me to bend over, and I was diagnosed as having something wrong with my lower spine--I can't remember what it was, but he wanted me to do exercises that involved bending to the right and left.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I'll look into it.

oziem
04-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Actually, back when I was in school, it used to hurt me to bend over, and I was diagnosed as having something wrong with my lower spine--I can't remember what it was, but he wanted me to do exercises that involved bending to the right and left.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I'll look into it.

K
Glad to hear you will check it out, and I hope you do well. Sounds like you have another problem in the lowback. Be sure the doc knows about all of the history.
If you can give us some good news about your progress soon.

iroczinoz
04-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanls Oziem for the reply. I will get it checked out and see what happens from there.

someguy20
04-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Oziem yesterday my right lower back(more like top of glutes) was hurting woke up and it was my left but now its back to right what could explain the sudden changes?

oziem
04-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Oziem yesterday my right lower back(more like top of glutes) was hurting woke up and it was my left but now its back to right what could explain the sudden changes?

Hi Someguy,
I think you have asked a fairly similar question recently so my answer would be the same. How about your folks take you to a doctor for an evaluation so you may get relief?

oziem
04-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanls Oziem for the reply. I will get it checked out and see what happens from there.

Iroc
I pray you do well, let me know
O

JBElite
04-14-2007, 08:54 PM
This is an awesome thread.

1) Is cracking ones back on your own "bad"? My back doesn't ever hurt really, but it just always feels like it needs to be cracked. My lower back I usually twist either way and it gets a few pops, and my mid to upper back I can lean back on a chair with a low back and pop it that way. I also crack my neck by twisting side to side quite often. Sometimes I will ask a roommate to give me a bear hug from behind and lift me up, this usually feels great as well.

2) I guess I have formed quite a few bad habits over the years, the thing is it never hurts, just like I said I have this feeling that things need to be cracked. I think seeing someone for this on a regular basis would be great... as long as it was fully covered by insurance. I am young so I guess I don't know how it works... is it normal to just go to my regular doc and say "hey can you refer me to a a chiro, I feel like I have some alignment issues."

My posture has vastly improved after a couple years of strength training with deads/squats, etc. However you can probably tell from my pic I'm still a little out of whack, with a forward head lean, and probably many other things as well. Thanks for your time!

oziem
04-14-2007, 10:01 PM

1) Is cracking ones back on your own "bad"? My back doesn't ever hurt really, but it just always feels like it needs to be cracked. My lower back I usually twist either way and it gets a few pops, and my mid to upper back I can lean back on a chair with a low back and pop it that way. I also crack my neck by twisting side to side quite often. Sometimes I will ask a roommate to give me a bear hug from behind and lift me up, this usually feels great as well.

2) I guess I have formed quite a few bad habits over the years, the thing is it never hurts, just like I said I have this feeling that things need to be cracked. I think seeing someone for this on a regular basis would be great... as long as it was fully covered by insurance. I am young so I guess I don't know how it works... is it normal to just go to my regular doc and say "hey can you refer me to a a chiro, I feel like I have some alignment issues."

My posture has vastly improved after a couple years of strength training with deads/squats, etc. However you can probably tell from my pic I'm still a little out of whack, with a forward head lean, and probably many other things as well. Thanks for your time!

Hi JB
I am glad you are enjoying the thread.
The feeling of needing to be cracked is a sign or alarm signal that something needs to be aligned or adjusted. Just as it (the subluxation) went "out" in a certain way it needs to be parked specifically back in its space.
Your roommate unfortunately does not know which bone is out or how to adjust it in the right direction or when to leave it where it belongs. A bear hug does not move the bad bone in and leave healthy ones alone.
Please do yourself the favor of the treat of finding a chiropractor to give you a specific adjustment. It's worth paying for even if insurance doesn't cover, but I am certain it will work out to your advantage.
Try these links to find a good doc to do you right:
www.gonsteadseminar.com
www.gonstead.com
follow the links for finding a doctor or referral and you may have got your self a really good thing.
Enjoy!

clevertd
04-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Keith if you're ever in Charlotte look me up. I do believe you spoke at Sherman College my senior year right?
God bless you brother.

Charlotte too? Damn, same here. Haha, I'm going to give a couple of those places a call Monday morning.

TourMaline
04-15-2007, 01:12 AM

Oziem I dont mean to invade your territory :D, but in uni we had a really good lecturer explain to us in lay-mans terms why what you are doing JB can be very wrong.

Usually it is the restricted segment that causes the problems you feel in ur back (nerve impringement and lack of mobility, pain etc.). By just "cracking" the most "crackable" segment of your back, you are just making an already mobile part of your spine (in relation to the restricted segments) hypermobile- This serves NO purpose in most cases (there are some exceptions depending on what motion is estricted) and in many cases, it can ceate MORE problems (hypermobility tends to destabilise your spine and cause alot of pain...).

Bottom line...just cause you hear a crack doesnt mean you did yourself any good :).

BIG EZ
04-15-2007, 05:29 AM
Ok, here it goes.
I was working in my yard the other day. I was lifting a segment of fence that was very light. I had one end and my father had the other. I had it in my right hand. We needed to lift it just slightly to get it over the flowerbeds so I curled it just slightly with my right arm. As I did so I shrugged just a little and felt something in my back between the tops of my shoulderblades. It wasn't a pop though, it was kind of like when you push air through your front teeth with your tongue. Sorry, but I can't think of how to describe it any other way. It didn't hurt at all. We finished what we were doing and I felt no pain. It wasn't until I sat down on the couch and then tried to get up that it really hurt. It hurt as I mentioned before in my back between the tops of my shoulder blades but mostly on my right side. It hurt to lift my arm in any direction or to shrug my shoulders. The next day it quit hurting on my right side and began hurting on my left. It now hurts between the top of my shoulder blades on the left side and I can also vaguely feel it in my left trap where my neck meets my shoulder. Sometimes when I just sit it really starts to hurt for a while, then goes away. It also hurts when I reach out forward to grab something. I have an appointment with a chiropractor on friday. I was hoping to figure out what it might be so I can go in to his office with a little more information than it just hurts here and when I do this. I constantly feel like I need to reach forward and stretch my upper back, but it doesn't alleviate anything. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Also it feels more like a bruise when I touch the spot. There is a slight bump along my spine where it is hurt. When it is not hurting it feels really stiff as if it is "stuck" together in that spot.

trinineer2
04-15-2007, 06:21 AM
ok i really need help. i jammed my finger 2 weeks ago playing football. i think my finger is broken but hasnt been to chiropractor. the bone is puffy now. my question is, am i too late to visit chiropractor? if not, whens the latest?

oziem
04-15-2007, 07:53 AM
Charlotte too? Damn, same here. Haha, I'm going to give a couple of those places a call Monday morning.

Once you get your stuff feel free to give a call, I can give you a tour of the office and give you my insights into how to survive chiropractic college.

oziem
04-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Oziem I dont mean to invade your territory :D, but in uni we had a really good lecturer explain to us in lay-mans terms why what you are doing JB can be very wrong.

Usually it is the restricted segment that causes the problems you feel in ur back (nerve impringement and lack of mobility, pain etc.). By just "cracking" the most "crackable" segment of your back, you are just making an already mobile part of your spine (in relation to the restricted segments) hypermobile- This serves NO purpose in most cases (there are some exceptions depending on what motion is estricted) and in many cases, it can ceate MORE problems (hypermobility tends to destabilise your spine and cause alot of pain...).

Bottom line...just cause you hear a crack doesnt mean you did yourself any good :).
TM you gave some very important info here, thanks.

Precisely my point on why just a gym buddy should not pop your spine!

oziem
04-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Ok, here it goes.
I was working in my yard the other day. I was lifting a segment of fence that was very light. I had one end and my father had the other. I had it in my right hand. We needed to lift it just slightly to get it over the flowerbeds so I curled it just slightly with my right arm. As I did so I shrugged just a little and felt something in my back between the tops of my shoulderblades. It wasn't a pop though, it was kind of like when you push air through your front teeth with your tongue. Sorry, but I can't think of how to describe it any other way. It didn't hurt at all. We finished what we were doing and I felt no pain. It wasn't until I sat down on the couch and then tried to get up that it really hurt. It hurt as I mentioned before in my back between the tops of my shoulder blades but mostly on my right side. It hurt to lift my arm in any direction or to shrug my shoulders. The next day it quit hurting on my right side and began hurting on my left. It now hurts between the top of my shoulder blades on the left side and I can also vaguely feel it in my left trap where my neck meets my shoulder. Sometimes when I just sit it really starts to hurt for a while, then goes away. It also hurts when I reach out forward to grab something. I have an appointment with a chiropractor on friday. I was hoping to figure out what it might be so I can go in to his office with a little more information than it just hurts here and when I do this. I constantly feel like I need to reach forward and stretch my upper back, but it doesn't alleviate anything. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Also it feels more like a bruise when I touch the spot. There is a slight bump along my spine where it is hurt. When it is not hurting it feels really stiff as if it is "stuck" together in that spot.

The chiropractor I am sure, I hope, will detect the problem and work to correct it (probably between C7-T5).
What you described here is the phenomenon of inflammation creeping into damaged cartilage. It usually takes 6-72 hours for inflammation to peak.
Inflammation will vary at lesser degrees over time producing various neurological related local and peripheral symptoms.

Until you see the DC you may wish to ice sore spots for 20 minutes at a time.
Let us know how you do after your visit.

oziem
04-15-2007, 08:03 AM
but I will answer any questions (that I am able to answer) ASAP.

It's been an enjoyable and hopefully productive week, thanks to all.

Dr. Oziem

ryuten
04-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Hey thanks for ur response. the soreness is gone. i guess i didn't hurt myself after all. :-P

on a side note having one of these rollers help squeeze some of the kinks out of your body really nicely. http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=1237

or http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=1468

it felt so good on my lower back (actually it kinda hurt cuz i'm heavy and i had to roll on it, but it felt good afterwards)

trinineer2
04-15-2007, 03:50 PM
ok i really need help. i jammed my finger 2 weeks ago playing football. i think my finger is broken but hasnt been to chiropractor. the bone is puffy now. my question is, am i too late to visit chiropractor? if not, whens the latest?

any1

oziem
04-15-2007, 04:13 PM
any1

Most chiropractors are not trained at setting fractures. You may want to see an ortho if the bone is broke. First stop may be the ER. The sooner you get to any injury, especially a fracture, the better.

Alex B.
04-15-2007, 04:17 PM
is it really possible for a chiropractor to fix scaliosis/lordosis , i have both lol. sorry if someone asked this before.

oziem
04-15-2007, 04:28 PM
is it really possible for a chiropractor to fix scaliosis/lordosis , i have both lol. sorry if someone asked this before.

Alex
a minority of s****osis accompanied by lordosis are caused by pelvis distortion. Some are even caused by spasms induced by upper cervical subluxations. These can be corrected by chiropractors when adjusted early in life.
Many of these cases (as time goes on) involve missshapen bones (stress atrophy). Some curvature therefore is an inevitable adaption to help balance the skeletal frame. An adjustment in these situations may reduce the severity of the compensation but not completely correct it.
A full spine xray analysis can determine the type of s****osis and whether or not it can be reduced. The key thing to look for (from two dimensions) is whether the head is centered over the pelvis. If the head is unbalanced the s****osis/kyphosis may be reduced. Total correction in this case is not the goal, nor a possibility I think, but a small reduction may be acheived.

O

benjamin0
04-15-2007, 04:31 PM

Yes it is. It usually takes quite a while, and you won't necessarily be pefect, but much better off because of it. Find a Chiropractor who practices CHIROPRACTIC BIOPHYSICS and is well versed in it. Feel free to visit idealspine.com and snoop around.

Alex B.
04-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Yes it is. It usually takes quite a while, and you won't necessarily be pefect, but much better off because of it. Find a Chiropractor who practices CHIROPRACTIC BIOPHYSICS and is well versed in it. Feel free to visit idealspine.com and snoop around.

thanks ill look into it.

Alex
a minority of s****osis accompanied by lordosis are caused by pelvis distortion. Some are even caused by spasms induced by upper cervical subluxations. These can be corrected by chiropractors when adjusted early in life.
Many of these cases (as time goes on) involve missshapen bones (stress atrophy). Some curvature therefore is an inevitable adaption to help balance the skeletal frame. An adjustment in these situations may reduce the severity of the compensation but not completely correct it.
A full spine xray analysis can determine the type of s****osis and whether or not it can be reduced. The key thing to look for (from two dimensions) is whether the head is centered over the pelvis. If the head is unbalanced the s****osis/kyphosis may be reduced. Total correction in this case is not the goal, nor a possibility I think, but a small reduction may be acheived.

O

wow that's a lot information, i'm actually not planning on doing any of that untill i have the time and money. but yeah generally would you recomend weight lifting as far as squats and things like that go, or more of a fitness uproach i.e. plyometrics. thanks

oziem
04-15-2007, 04:39 PM

CBP does change posture but not necessarily improve disc function.
The goal of the intersegmental (specific) chiropractor in the legacy of the Palmers and Gonstead is to correct a vertebral subluxation and the posture will improve as needed.
CBP utilizes ortho traction technique, mirror image posturing and manipulation to change posture as the doctor believes the body needs.
Depends on your goal I guess.

oziem
04-15-2007, 04:43 PM
thanks ill look into it.

wow that's a lot information, i'm actually not planning on doing any of that untill i have the time and money. but yeah generally would you recomend weight lifting as far as squats and things like that go, or more of a fitness uproach i.e. plyometrics. thanks

Everyone here agrees proper exercise is good. As long as you use proper form you and progression you should be good to go.

plumher
04-15-2007, 04:51 PM
I for one have damn near crawled into my chiro's office and walked out 45 min later w/ much less pain. There is validity in what they/you do.

5 or 6 years
ago I had a mri done that revealed 2 broad-based hearniated discs. If I remember right they were L-4,5 and 1 bulged disc. It must have happened several weeks before when I was deadlifting. Since then I've had several other instances in which the pain returned( from deadlifting) . I'm usually off work from these injuries for a least a week. And then a month traspires before
I'm 95%. It always happens the 2nd or 3rd deadlift workout as I start doing them again. I'm pretty long waisted being 5-09 and only a 29" inseam. I'm thickly built in the shoulders and ham glute area.

Here's my question. Are deadlifts for my bodytype just dangereous? Is there any way to strengthen my lumber muscles to do deads w/out injury?My chiro told me that omce the soft tissue is injured in an area, your body never forgets and any time you stress it there, the injury will reoccur. I haven't done them (dlifts) in a year and I hate the thought of the reoccurring pain and loss of mobility for a week or so. I've had my form check my someone that would know and they said it looks fine. Any ideas?

hardcore3186
04-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Is hanging upside down on an inversion table good for you. I purchased one after hurting my (spelling) Sciatica. my lower bad would always be tight and hurt after sitting and standing for periods of time... after going to the chiro for a while i felt relief.. but still wanted to get that stretch in my spine and feel loose.

i hang upside down for about a total of 2 mins every night. It feels good after sqauts and shrugs and the stretch is amazing... but is it safe to use daily? (thats wat i read that they recomend.. but more then once a day)

oziem
04-15-2007, 05:00 PM
I for one have damn near crawled into my chiro's office and walked out 45 min later w/ much less pain. There is validity in what they/you do.

5 or 6 years
ago I had a mri done that revealed 2 broad-based hearniated discs. If I remember right they were L-4,5 and 1 bulged disc. It must have happened several weeks before when I was deadlifting. Since then I've had several other instances in which the pain returned( from deadlifting) . I'm usually off work from these injuries for a least a week. And then a month traspires before
I'm 95%. It always happens the 2nd or 3rd deadlift workout as I start doing them again. I'm pretty long waisted being 5-09 and only a 29" inseam. I'm thickly built in the shoulders and ham glute area.

Here's my question. Are deadlifts for my bodytype just dangereous? Is there any way to strengthen my lumber muscles to do deads w/out injury?My chiro told me that omce the soft tissue is injured in an area, your body never forgets and any time you stress it there, the injury will reoccur. I haven't done them (dlifts) in a year and I hate the thought of the reoccurring pain and loss of mobility for a week or so. I've had my form check my someone that would know and they said it looks fine. Any ideas?

Hey Plumher thanks for the testimonial.
I don't think it's an abs issue it's just that the disk is prone to injury under certain stress. Have your form strictly observed by a good DL trainer. If after any form alterations are made, you still hurt after deads, you may need to give them up...
If that is anethema to you, ask Iron Addict (he has hurt his back big time and still squats and deads) or another hardcore trainer how to work through it by any means necessary.

oziem
04-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Is hanging upside down on an inversion table good for you. I purchased one after hurting my (spelling) Sciatica. my lower bad would always be tight and hurt after sitting and standing for periods of time... after going to the chiro for a while i felt relief.. but still wanted to get that stretch in my spine and feel loose.

i hang upside down for about a total of 2 mins every night. It feels good after sqauts and shrugs and the stretch is amazing... but is it safe to use daily? (thats wat i read that they recomend.. but more then once a day)

Hi hardcore,
It's hard to argue with what's working for you, but except in certain cases I tend to disuade people from using them.

gijoe985
04-15-2007, 05:18 PM
I have been strongly considering going to a Chiropractor for the last few months. At first it was just to see if he could give me "a routine checkup." Now I have an old injury hurting and I wonder if it could help. I think that something is pinched because I have a small pain in my left trap, posterior delt, and bicep. I think it is from an old injury where I separated my clavicle and cracked my sternum wrestling.

Either way I was thinking about going. I don't know which kind I want to see. I've always been worried about going and having all my joints popped. Seems unnatural. But i am becoming less skeptic. I saw some good reviews on a DVD by DR. Kent Hovind on the Bible and health. He had a guy come in and talk about chiropractic work. It was convincing. Either way, guidance would be nice.

T-Wrecks
04-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Terik
Likely an acute sacroiliac. A chiropractor trained in both vertebral spine and pelvis adjustments should be able to determine it.

Thanks for the advice.

What exactly is acute sacroiliac, and, is it fixable?

Thanks in advance.

(Your doing a great service to this board, and I really appreciate it.)

rcp197inIZ
04-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Hey Oziem, great thread and thank you for dedicating your time to answer our questions! I just started seeing a Chiro for the first time. I just got out of the military so I didn't really have a choice before unless I wanted to pay 100%.

Anyhow, I had been having chronic lower back pain for the last 4-5 yrs, especially in my SI joints. I went in for my assessment, had X-rays and the physical examination. When I went back in for the next visit the findings were that my right hip was higher than my left and the curve in my lower spine wasn't really a curve, but more of a straight line. Also, my spine doesn't exactly go straight up my back. He says it starts off a little left and then goes back right as it goes up to my neck.

Anyhoooo, he recommended starting off with 3 adjustments/week for 3 weeks, 2 adjustments/week for three weeks and then 1 adjustment/week for 3 weeks. What I wanted to know was whether this was normal to go this often in the beginning?

I've had about 6 adjustments so far and really don't feel much different yet. He says when he does my adjustments that the problem seems to be getting better though, based on when he does the tests and whether one leg gets shorter than the other or not... He also recommended arch supports for my shoes because my arches are falling. Is this necessary or is it something that he's just trying to push for business purposes? I question it because they also sale multi-vitamins too and he asked if I took a multi. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

oziem
04-15-2007, 07:11 PM
I have been strongly considering going to a Chiropractor for the last few months. At first it was just to see if he could give me "a routine checkup." Now I have an old injury hurting and I wonder if it could help. I think that something is pinched because I have a small pain in my left trap, posterior delt, and bicep. I think it is from an old injury where I separated my clavicle and cracked my sternum wrestling.

Either way I was thinking about going. I don't know which kind I want to see. I've always been worried about going and having all my joints popped. Seems unnatural. But i am becoming less skeptic. I saw some good reviews on a DVD by DR. Kent Hovind on the Bible and health. He had a guy come in and talk about chiropractic work. It was convincing. Either way, guidance would be nice.

Hi Joe,
I practice Gonstead a specific method of adjusting whatever joint needs it. Several here have recommended biophysics, kinesiology and diversified. I am convinced the Lord led me to this work. It was Gonstead docs that led me to Him too. Do some research and pray about it. You will find the right one I am sure.
oziem

oziem
04-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the advice.

What exactly is acute sacroiliac, and, is it fixable?

Thanks in advance.

(Your doing a great service to this board, and I really appreciate it.)

Acute means recently inflammed. Sacroiliac is the ligamentous joining of the sacrum tailbone and the ilium portion of the pelvis. Its movement allows you to walk, step, do squats. I fix them daily. My pioneer mentor Dr. Gonstead was the first to adjust that particular joint.

T thanks for the encouragement, it means alot. I thank God for the opportunity and truly hope it helps.

oziem
04-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Hey Oziem, great thread and thank you for dedicating your time to answer our questions! I just started seeing a Chiro for the first time. I just got out of the military so I didn't really have a choice before unless I wanted to pay 100%.

Anyhow, I had been having chronic lower back pain for the last 4-5 yrs, especially in my SI joints. I went in for my assessment, had X-rays and the physical examination. When I went back in for the next visit the findings were that my right hip was higher than my left and the curve in my lower spine wasn't really a curve, but more of a straight line. Also, my spine doesn't exactly go straight up my back. He says it starts off a little left and then goes back right as it goes up to my neck.

Anyhoooo, he recommended starting off with 3 adjustments/week for 3 weeks, 2 adjustments/week for three weeks and then 1 adjustment/week for 3 weeks. What I wanted to know was whether this was normal to go this often in the beginning?

I've had about 6 adjustments so far and really don't feel much different yet. He says when he does my adjustments that the problem seems to be getting better though, based on when he does the tests and whether one leg gets shorter than the other or not... He also recommended arch supports for my shoes because my arches are falling. Is this necessary or is it something that he's just trying to push for business purposes? I question it because they also sale multi-vitamins too and he asked if I took a multi. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there.
Each practitioner of each discipline has a very individual way of doing things so I can't really comment on the frequency (especially since I haven't seen your spine and how it responds). He is probably sincere about the orthotics they can help leveling of the femur differential in some cases. Is it viable in your case? I don't know the answer.
First the anterior/internal misaligned pelvis side should be fixed (that makes the spine flatten/kyphotic).
I am willing to guess you also have some degeneration of the L5 disk and that should be repaired to get the best results.
The vitamins may or may not be useful to your body.
Chiropractors really ought to give their all to the adjustment- that's the thing they have to offer different from anyone else. It really works too.

FasterStronger
04-15-2007, 09:21 PM
wow i just want to thank you for ur service so far on here in general. i bet you have a long day seeing patients and there are some docs who probably are tired and "just wanna break", but your doing a great job and actaully showing that you like what you do well enough that appointments etc dont bind you. your giving good advice during what many would call your break time and thats awesome of you!

thewolf324
04-15-2007, 09:33 PM
I currently see a kinesiologist/chiropractor. She is literally amazing. By having me perform a variety off pushes in different directions she can adjust me and massage out problem areas (i.e the side of my leg, and deep down on my lower abs). As skeptic as I was at first about this I can tell a difference in the gym with my range of motion. With the adjustments in me back I notice I can workout, stand, and sit for longer periods without discomfort in my back from the strain. In my eyes this therapy is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

hardcore3186
04-16-2007, 12:00 AM
was there a reason why you wouldnt prefer people using inversion tables?

dragonpit
04-16-2007, 12:09 AM
ive herniated my t8. so my chiro told me? i have lost mostly all feelings on my lower left lat. he says its from years without treatment. if so is there anything i can do to get my nerves working again.

One Man Army
04-16-2007, 12:16 AM

are you aware that there people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6′4″ 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know

oziem
04-16-2007, 06:43 AM
wow i just want to thank you for ur service so far on here in general. i bet you have a long day seeing patients and there are some docs who probably are tired and "just wanna break", but your doing a great job and actaully showing that you like what you do well enough that appointments etc dont bind you. your giving good advice during what many would call your break time and thats awesome of you!

Yes I will be offline for a while but will answer ?'s ASAP.
To the fellows considering becoming a chiropractor, this is one of the great benefits:
I am my own boss and set my own hours. I spent the weekend taking my son hunting, dating my wife, Bible study with my Brethren and the rest of the time here with y'all.
I have the fruit of labor helping folks and freedom to go with it.
The advice is the best I can muster all things considered. "Back to Work" now.
Oziem out.

benjamin0
04-16-2007, 07:19 AM
CBP does change posture but not necessarily improve disc function.
The goal of the intersegmental (specific) chiropractor in the legacy of the Palmers and Gonstead is to correct a vertebral subluxation and the posture will improve as needed.
CBP utilizes ortho traction technique, mirror image posturing and manipulation to change posture as the doctor believes the body needs.
Depends on your goal I guess.

Thanks for the info doc!

|ceman
04-16-2007, 08:02 AM
are you aware that there people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6′4″ 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know

I realize you think this is funny to post a joke like this in here, but Oziem is answering serious questions and being helpful. A post like this just wastes space.

NC_Tarheel
04-16-2007, 09:36 AM

your mom's a truck driver...do you call her mother trucker???

elongation
04-16-2007, 03:44 PM
What do you do about flatfooted issues, such as my knees, ankles, hips. I try to wear inserts, but that doesn't always help, especially with cardio. I just feel like I'm building muscle around a bone structure that is all outta wack.

www.sportskool.com

oziem
04-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the info doc!

You Betch Benjuito. I appreciate the knowledge you have already. I anticipate a bright career is ahead for you.
O

oziem
04-16-2007, 04:59 PM
I currently see a kinesiologist/chiropractor. She is literally amazing. By having me perform a variety off pushes in different directions she can adjust me and massage out problem areas (i.e the side of my leg, and deep down on my lower abs). As skeptic as I was at first about this I can tell a difference in the gym with my range of motion. With the adjustments in me back I notice I can workout, stand, and sit for longer periods without discomfort in my back from the strain. In my eyes this therapy is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Wolf---
Fabulous!

oziem
04-16-2007, 05:02 PM
was there a reason why you wouldnt prefer people using inversion tables?

Most disc trauma cause the vertebra to move posterior. Traction may cause the bone to move further posterior.
In the case of anterior displacement inversion traction may be useful, but in many other cases it is possibly risky.

I prefer the confidence of directing the bone specifically by hand.

Hope this helps hardcore. I am glad you are getting relief.

O

oziem
04-16-2007, 05:06 PM
ive herniated my t8. so my chiro told me? i have lost mostly all feelings on my lower left lat. he says its from years without treatment. if so is there anything i can do to get my nerves working again.

If the chiropractor is giving corrective adjustments total recovery is possible.
I myself have suffered from a messy T8 and it was my trap (I thought it was my lat but the specialist told me otherwise). I have been paralyzed at times since I was ten (thirty years of suffering). This year has been my best year. Almost 100% for a while here.
Adjustments, massage, the gym combinged helped. Mainly getting my scapula worked on with the T8. Thanks to Dr. Benjamin of Ft. Mill and Meg Walsh LMT of Charlotte.

Hope this encourages you Dragonpit.

Oziem

degrat38
04-16-2007, 05:09 PM
I would find a DC who will work to correct the problem. That may mean you follow a finite plan to that end.
Once it is fixed, checkups would be recommended.
I personally don't think any health care should be vague open ended dependence for life. Nor do I think the patient should just lead the care plan. Doc and patient ought to work together to get the body to heal itself then leave it alone.

So I went into the Chiropractor today, told him about my neck problems I've been having and what not. He did his exam, then took 3 X Ray's. He found that I have arthritis between 2 vertabraes in my neck. He said it is highly unusual because 1) it's usually much lower on the neck/back. 2) I'm young to have it already.

He recommended that I come in twice a week, for 3 weeks. Then do some more X Rays and he said there should be a noticable improvement.

What is your experience with your patients that have arthritis in their neck area? Any other insight you may have would be great too! Thanks!

WAYSOUTH
04-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Cool to find this thread! My best friend is a Chiropracter, and he works on me once every two weeks or so. He's amazing, keeps me gong strong. Nice thread once again!

oziem
04-16-2007, 05:32 PM
What do you do about flatfooted issues, such as my knees, ankles, hips. I try to wear inserts, but that doesn't always help, especially with cardio. I just feel like I'm building muscle around a bone structure that is all outta wack.

www.sportskool.com

Hi E
The old bible song goes the knee bone is connected to the thigh bone etc.
The extremities would be strong if they had developed with good sciatic nourishment. I look to adjust the low lumbar or sacrum then adjust the feet, knees as needed. Then explore the use of orthotics and exercises.
O

oziem
04-16-2007, 05:37 PM
So I went into the Chiropractor today, told him about my neck problems I've been having and what not. He did his exam, then took 3 X Ray's. He found that I have arthritis between 2 vertabraes in my neck. He said it is highly unusual because 1) it's usually much lower on the neck/back. 2) I'm young to have it already.

He recommended that I come in twice a week, for 3 weeks. Then do some more X Rays and he said there should be a noticable improvement.

What is your experience with your patients that have arthritis in their neck area? Any other insight you may have would be great too! Thanks!

Degrat
In my Gonstead practice we have seen many cases of cervical spine arthritis slow to halt and sometimes regeneration, it's all very exciting to me.
A woman under my care left a chiro 'cause he told her she had a 60 year old's neck when she was only 30 something. She cried when he told her.
We took a new film today 6 years later (she has been a devoted patient for these years) and we agreed she now had the neck of a 40 year old woman. Lots of smiles.
O

oziem
04-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Cool to find this thread! My best friend is a Chiropracter, and he works on me once every two weeks or so. He's amazing, keeps me gong strong. Nice thread once again!

You're blessed Waysouth. Thanks for sharing y'all.
O

BIG EZ
04-19-2007, 03:05 AM
OZIEM,
I got in to see the chiropractor early. You were right. I gave him my symptoms. He tried a couple of things to realign me. Come to find out it was more than just what I had injured that was wrong. I had him check me out all over because it was the first time I had ever been to the chiro. He used to be my hs football coach and said it would be no problem. I had some shoulder pain in the past and a little hip pain. It would go away but haunt me every now and then. Come to find out I had one leg that was longer than the other....He found that a lot of my problem and the current injury stemmed from my pelvis being out of alignment... He realigned me, and I feel 100% better... I just got used to being "out" I guess... I have more appointments with him, one a week for a while, just to check up on me and see how it is going... The pain I am feeling is due to inflamation, like you said, and he told me to take some anti inflamatories to relieve the pain and ice. It should go away within the next week. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Wilde
04-19-2007, 03:44 AM
Is there any chance of doing heavy deadlifts and squats? My back feels kind of sore when i bend over sometimes but not when i squat, though I havent trained full on nor have I ever visited a chiro and its been a while since the op. Do you think regular visits say once a month "could" allow me to get back into deadlifting and squatting without further injury?

oziem
04-19-2007, 07:14 AM
OZIEM,
I got in to see the chiropractor early. You were right. I gave him my symptoms. He tried a couple of things to realign me. Come to find out it was more than just what I had injured that was wrong. I had him check me out all over because it was the first time I had ever been to the chiro. He used to be my hs football coach and said it would be no problem. I had some shoulder pain in the past and a little hip pain. It would go away but haunt me every now and then. Come to find out I had one leg that was longer than the other....He found that a lot of my problem and the current injury stemmed from my pelvis being out of alignment... He realigned me, and I feel 100% better... I just got used to being "out" I guess... I have more appointments with him, one a week for a while, just to check up on me and see how it is going... The pain I am feeling is due to inflamation, like you said, and he told me to take some anti inflamatories to relieve the pain and ice. It should go away within the next week. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Big EZ
What an awesome testimony! Great you're doing better.
I am so glad if I could assist you even a little.
Oziem

oziem
04-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Is there any chance of doing heavy deadlifts and squats? My back feels kind of sore when i bend over sometimes but not when i squat, though I havent trained full on nor have I ever visited a chiro and its been a while since the op. Do you think regular visits say once a month "could" allow me to get back into deadlifting and squatting without further injury?

Wilde,
Post-op disc will mean there always be a potential structural and functional instability.
That being said, if you do use proper form every time it may not be a problem. But then again time will tell.
Regular checkups to ensure optimal joint mechanics would be to your advantage so long as chiro is used when needed and not overutilized. I think this goes for anyone who has ever injured the L5 disc.
Oziem

Wilde
04-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Yeah my form wasn't the best before the op plus lifting heavy boxes at work was pretty much what caused the injury like long before i joined the gym, my form is a lot better now and I plan to get those checkups pretty often, hopefully all goes well thanks for the reply

someguy20
04-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Oziem my chiropracter flips me on my back and pulls my legs together will this check pelvic stability or just the spine.

Also why is chiropractic care so expensive 130$ is what I pay per appointment, or the insurance pays my mom pays 35 but im in there for less then 10 minutes get adjusted and this guy makes more then most in an hour?

oziem
04-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah my form wasn't the best before the op plus lifting heavy boxes at work was pretty much what caused the injury like long before i joined the gym, my form is a lot better now and I plan to get those checkups pretty often, hopefully all goes well thanks for the reply

You Betcha Wilde

oziem
04-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Oziem my chiropracter flips me on my back and pulls my legs together will this check pelvic stability or just the spine.

Also why is chiropractic care so expensive 130$ is what I pay per appointment, or the insurance pays my mom pays 35 but im in there for less then 10 minutes get adjusted and this guy makes more then most in an hour?

Guy
I honestly cannot determine from your description what is going on there. Where do you live and what are you having done for $130 for ten minutes?

someguy20
04-19-2007, 06:04 PM
forget the 1st question ill just ask him on monday, but it seems like my pelvis is outta whack.

however my chiro treatments go like this I walk in get a room number turn on some bed that stretches my back wait like 5 minutes for chiro to come in he checks if im alligned then tells me to lay on my side pulls out my leg and uses his bodyweight to push down on my leg and crack something near my back. Then he tells me to lay face updward and he checks my neck.

takes at most 5-10 minutes and my mom said they charge her insurance 130 is that a little much?

browncmp
04-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Ive seen a chiro since I was 15. Not on a regular basis, just once or twice a year. In the last year Ive noticed that the middle of my back, directly between my shouldblades, pops all the time. I sound like a bowl of rice crisppies with freshly poured milk on them. Its not normally painful, but the popping wont stop.

oziem
04-19-2007, 06:32 PM
forget the 1st question ill just ask him on monday, but it seems like my pelvis is outta whack.

however my chiro treatments go like this I walk in get a room number turn on some bed that stretches my back wait like 5 minutes for chiro to come in he checks if im alligned then tells me to lay on my side pulls out my leg and uses his bodyweight to push down on my leg and crack something near my back. Then he tells me to lay face updward and he checks my neck.

takes at most 5-10 minutes and my mom said they charge her insurance 130 is that a little much?

You could call around and compare rates in your area for a diversified chiropractor.
In my market the average Gonstead visit is $40.

oziem
04-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Ive seen a chiro since I was 15. Not on a regular basis, just once or twice a year. In the last year Ive noticed that the middle of my back, directly between my shouldblades, pops all the time. I sound like a bowl of rice crisppies with freshly poured milk on them. Its not normally painful, but the popping wont stop.

That is a compensatory joint that is overworking for a problem elsewhere, probably your lower back. You may want a checkup. But focus on finding a subluxation apart from where that clicking eminates.

oziem
04-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Just an FYI about myself.
I broke my neck in the scrum about twenty years ago.
The xrays taken in my spine this week show a neck in outstanding condition, the best in my adult life.
I used to have my arm go into spastic paralysis if I exercised.
Now I can train high volume weight lifting.
Chiropractic does work.

O

jsmircich
04-21-2007, 08:47 PM
It's so nice to find a thread like this. I've been seeing a chiro for a year and made great progress,and recently also started seeing an MT for sports massage and my adjustments at my chiropractors office as well as my workouts have improved greatly. I had been out of the gym for months due to whiplash and without my chiropractor I'd still be sitting at home

bigred5434
04-21-2007, 09:23 PM
I was deadlifting and somehow I hurt something about 3" under my shoulder blade and about 1" from my spine. This happened about 1 month ago and I have not deadlifted in like 2 weeks but it still hurts very badly.

homershw
04-22-2007, 04:22 AM
Do you have any idea as to what professions are safest on the back?

eg. Office worker, pencil pusher. I suppose if they did good ergonometrics they would be healthy. And took breaks. But If they were overworked maybe not.

Factory job- Lifting 30kg boxes clean off the ground and packing them on pallets and other stuff. I suppose fatigue would set in and even a bodybuilder couldnt maitain good form for that sort of workout.

Security job- Standing around all day sometimes walking.

What would you say is the healthiest in your opinion doc?

oziem
04-22-2007, 12:34 PM
It's so nice to find a thread like this. I've been seeing a chiro for a year and made great progress,and recently also started seeing an MT for sports massage and my adjustments at my chiropractors office as well as my workouts have improved greatly. I had been out of the gym for months due to whiplash and without my chiropractor I'd still be sitting at home

Thanks for sharing the encouraging words J

oziem
04-22-2007, 12:36 PM
I was deadlifting and somehow I hurt something about 3" under my shoulder blade and about 1" from my spine. This happened about 1 month ago and I have not deadlifted in like 2 weeks but it still hurts very badly.

Red you may have sprained a rib or thoracic disc. Muscular injury may be a possibility if you have reinjured it but I am going with some cartilage/ligament damage. Chiro would be a good choice for investigation.
After two weeks you are progressing into more complicated acute injury.
Got to you use ice on it and see someone the sooner the better.

oziem
04-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Do you have any idea as to what professions are safest on the back?

eg. Office worker, pencil pusher. I suppose if they did good ergonometrics they would be healthy. And took breaks. But If they were overworked maybe not.

Factory job- Lifting 30kg boxes clean off the ground and packing them on pallets and other stuff. I suppose fatigue would set in and even a bodybuilder couldnt maitain good form for that sort of workout.

Security job- Standing around all day sometimes walking.

What would you say is the healthiest in your opinion doc?

I would say the last choice is the least stressful because you are moving about casually constantly. (That is if you don't have to subdue bad guys).

Sockomalo
04-22-2007, 12:52 PM
I would say the last choice is the least stressful because you are moving about casually constantly. (That is if you don't have to subdue bad guys).

i'm a mail man and i get to walk around all day but the negative part is the heavy load from the mail bag does damage to the spine.... i bet you get alot of letter carriers... i know lots of my co-workers go to chiro's, phsio, massage therapy.... now they have a dual satchel so the weight is evenly distributed so its not as bad... one of these http://www.canadapost.ca/common/corporate/about/newsroom/photo_centre/images/Double_satchel.jpg

BigJack
04-22-2007, 12:53 PM
I have injured my back several times in the last 15 years. The first was when I was 18 years old and totalled a sportbike. I have reinjured it in the gym lifting heavy weight. I saw a chiropractor several times and just recently was under the care of one for a year to try and fix a "compressed disc". The treatments always felt good but he could never fully release or adjust me. They never lasted long though. Sometimes only until I got into my car. I need to figure out what I am doing that is not allowing my body to heal itself. I decreased the weight in the gym and do higher reps now. I stretch and try to include some moderate cardio to keep everything loose. Everyday I wake up with a sore back and neck. Any advice on how I can figure out what is wrong and how to fix it?

FEA
04-22-2007, 03:41 PM
hello chiro!

I have a question for you!
Basically i have had a lower back pain for a cuple of years now and nothing is really seeming to help. The pain is not sharp, but is just kind of an ache and sometimes burn that seems to come and go. Whenever i do an exercise like bent over rows, i am able to do it, but my lower back seems real tight or something. I am a carpenter, and it does not bother me enough to interupt my job. However, when i have to be bent over for a period of time and go to straighten my back, it hurts.
My local chiro says he thinks that my problem is because i dont not have enough curvature in my lower back. I am wondering if this is because i have been sleeping on a fairly soft foam mattress. Do you think that if i change to a one of those "chiropracter approved" box spring mattrsses with good support it could correct this problem?

Thank you very much for yer help!

degrat38
04-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Hello. you have answered a few questions in this thread for me before and I really appreciate it. To refresh your memory, I am the one who has arthritis in the upper neck. I was told that it's unusual that high up and for me being so young (24).

He recommended me being 'adjusted' 2x a week for 3 weeks, then not sure how often after that.

Anyways, my question to you is this: I am not completely sure he is doing enough to adjust me. He supports my neck with his hands, my head to the right or left, he does it both ways, then moves my head in a way where it cracks a bunch.

The other thing he does is have me lay on each side, kind of hanging over the table a bit, then uses his body weight and pushes down on my leg area and a bunch of popping can be heard in the lower back area.

None of this is painful or anything, and I'm not expert, but does this sounds like he is doing enough 'adjusting'? To me atleast I don't feel like I'm getting my moneys worth and his adjustments take 3 minutes at most.

In your expert opinion, and you were the one treating me.... is he doing everything he is supposed to do? Would you do anything more, or differently?

I ask because I don't want to get ripped off, and if I am in need of getting fixed, I truly want to get fixed and not have my time and money wasted.

Thank you very much

oziem
04-22-2007, 04:35 PM
i'm a mail man and i get to walk around all day but the negative part is the heavy load from the mail bag does damage to the spine.... i bet you get alot of letter carriers... i know lots of my co-workers go to chiro's, phsio, massage therapy.... now they have a dual satchel so the weight is evenly distributed so its not as bad... one of these http://www.canadapost.ca/common/corporate/about/newsroom/photo_centre/images/Double_satchel.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the double satchel.
I like your sig.

oziem
04-22-2007, 04:46 PM
I have injured my back several times in the last 15 years. The first was when I was 18 years old and totalled a sportbike. I have reinjured it in the gym lifting heavy weight. I saw a chiropractor several times and just recently was under the care of one for a year to try and fix a "compressed disc". The treatments always felt good but he could never fully release or adjust me. They never lasted long though. Sometimes only until I got into my car. I need to figure out what I am doing that is not allowing my body to heal itself. I decreased the weight in the gym and do higher reps now. I stretch and try to include some moderate cardio to keep everything loose. Everyday I wake up with a sore back and neck. Any advice on how I can figure out what is wrong and how to fix it?

Jack
you mentioned two problems:
1 they could not get you adjusted
2 You suggest you may be doing something to keep it from healing.

Your part is to keep the disc and nerve cooled down (many inflame the nerve with heat treatments; not good). Also you want to eliminate repetitive trauma from your lifestyle (if sumo lifts hurt it every time, then try something different).

The doc's part is to adjust your spine.

Figuring out the problem and fixing it means working with a chiro who can fix your type of disc problem. A year is a long time to work and not get a satisfactory result. You may want to try a Gonstead certified doc.
www.gonstead.com
www.gonsteadseminar.com
Look into what they offer in your area. If you wish pm me for more assistance.

oziem
04-22-2007, 04:48 PM
hello chiro!

I have a question for you!
Basically i have had a lower back pain for a cuple of years now and nothing is really seeming to help. The pain is not sharp, but is just kind of an ache and sometimes burn that seems to come and go. Whenever i do an exercise like bent over rows, i am able to do it, but my lower back seems real tight or something. I am a carpenter, and it does not bother me enough to interupt my job. However, when i have to be bent over for a period of time and go to straighten my back, it hurts.
My local chiro says he thinks that my problem is because i dont not have enough curvature in my lower back. I am wondering if this is because i have been sleeping on a fairly soft foam mattress. Do you think that if i change to a one of those "chiropracter approved" box spring mattrsses with good support it could correct this problem?

Thank you very much for yer help!

Hello FEA
A good bed is a great investment for your health. A bad bed is not.
Consult your chiro, I think he will agree with your thinking.

oziem
04-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Hello. you have answered a few questions in this thread for me before and I really appreciate it. To refresh your memory, I am the one who has arthritis in the upper neck. I was told that it's unusual that high up and for me being so young (24).

He recommended me being 'adjusted' 2x a week for 3 weeks, then not sure how often after that.

Anyways, my question to you is this: I am not completely sure he is doing enough to adjust me. He supports my neck with his hands, my head to the right or left, he does it both ways, then moves my head in a way where it cracks a bunch.

The other thing he does is have me lay on each side, kind of hanging over the table a bit, then uses his body weight and pushes down on my leg area and a bunch of popping can be heard in the lower back area.

None of this is painful or anything, and I'm not expert, but does this sounds like he is doing enough 'adjusting'? To me atleast I don't feel like I'm getting my moneys worth and his adjustments take 3 minutes at most.

In your expert opinion, and you were the one treating me.... is he doing everything he is supposed to do? Would you do anything more, or differently?

I ask because I don't want to get ripped off, and if I am in need of getting fixed, I truly want to get fixed and not have my time and money wasted.

Thank you very much

We discussed this one in a pm I believe.
This techinque is standard for diversified chiropractic.
I do Gonstead work, it's different.

degrat38
04-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Oh I'm sorry, I never got the reply, I figured my PM never went though.. thank you though

oziem
04-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Oh I'm sorry, I never got the reply, I figured my PM never went though.. thank you though

D
your settings dont allow pm; I emailed you. If you deleted it I can send my indepth reply again.

degrat38
04-22-2007, 05:19 PM
D
your settings dont allow pm; I emailed you. If you deleted it I can send my indepth reply again.

Your'e right, I just realized I didn't have it set right... I THINK I have it right now. Yes I would really appreciate it if you could send that reply again.. Thank you!

oziem
04-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Your'e right, I just realized I didn't have it set right... I THINK I have it right now. Yes I would really appreciate it if you could send that reply again.. Thank you!

I sent you an abridged email

homershw
04-22-2007, 05:37 PM

What about in a security job where you are in a hotel lobby and stand in the same spot. should you just pump your legs on the spot sort of or walk and pivot around a bit?

shinobidoode
04-22-2007, 05:42 PM
What do you suggest for rounded shoulders/muscle imbalance. I am currently doing stretches and lots of "rowing" exercises. Are there any specific exercises to target this kind of imbalance? Is there any sort of a brace that I can wear to correct it?

oziem
04-22-2007, 05:43 PM
What about in a security job where you are in a hotel lobby and stand in the same spot. should you just pump your legs on the spot sort of or walk and pivot around a bit?

Homer that would be ideal as long as you don't draw negative attention to yourself.

In addition, upright dog stretch and pelvic tilts are a good alternative to walking. If you are the palace guard at attention; deep breathing may be your only option.

oziem
04-22-2007, 05:49 PM
What do you suggest for rounded shoulders/muscle imbalance. I am currently doing stretches and lots of "rowing" exercises. Are there any specific exercises to target this kind of imbalance? Is there any sort of a brace that I can wear to correct it?

S please avoid braces.
Make sure your pecs are flexible. In addition to rows,
pull downs emphasizing rhomboid (more posteriorward pull) and deadlifts do a great number on the traps, the entire posterior really. Don't overlook overhead presses either. These are all good exercises if you think the posture is muscle related. It would be helpful to determine if it is and which muscles are hypo/hypertonic.

shinobidoode
04-22-2007, 06:02 PM
S please avoid braces.
Make sure your pecs are flexible. In addition to rows,
pull downs emphasizing rhomboid (more posteriorward pull) and deadlifts do a great number on the traps, the entire posterior really. Don't overlook overhead presses either. These are all good exercises if you think the posture is muscle related. It would be helpful to determine if it is and which muscles are hypo/hypertonic.

My back muscle is definitely lacking compared to the front. How would I determine elsewise? Also, for the pull down, sometimes on wide grip, I get a pain in the shoulders.

bigred5434
04-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Red you may have sprained a rib or thoracic disc. Muscular injury may be a possibility if you have reinjured it but I am going with some cartilage/ligament damage. Chiro would be a good choice for investigation.
After two weeks you are progressing into more complicated acute injury.
Got to you use ice on it and see someone the sooner the better.

Thanks for the advice.

You've got a great thread going here!

oziem
04-22-2007, 08:12 PM
My back muscle is definitely lacking compared to the front. How would I determine elsewise? Also, for the pull down, sometimes on wide grip, I get a pain in the shoulders.

Working the back may help in your goals, among which I think are building the back and stabilizing the shoulders.
It may be a good idea to figure out why those shoulders round as well as why they hurt on the pull downs.
Determining if you have a posture problem from muscle inbalance could be done by a sharp trainer, PT or even MT.
I understand muscles to be less significant than the shape and health of bones and discs in determining posture. A misshapen bone or chronic disc degeneration will drastically change posture. The resulting nerve weaknesses may also affect muscle tone. A spine inbalance if present should be determined by a DC or MD.

oziem
04-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the advice.

You've got a great thread going here!

Bigred
thanks for the encouragement. Glad you like the thread.
I hope I helped in some small way. Let me know of your progress.

Ex-Terminator
04-23-2007, 10:20 AM
I have a question for you (serious). I've read in the past that an occasional spinal alignmment is a great thing to have done. I've never had it done, but I've had people tell me that it makes them feel like a million bucks.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks.

oziem
04-23-2007, 05:41 PM
I have a question for you (serious). I've read in the past that an occasional spinal alignmment is a great thing to have done. I've never had it done, but I've had people tell me that it makes them feel like a million bucks.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Hi Ex-T
I think chiropractic is more than a therapy. Millions get regular adjustments and feel great.
I think it better to work on a spine problem until it is fixed (when possible) then leave it alone.
Thereafter checkups for preventative wellness may be optimal.
Whatever you do, if you do a little good for your spine you will impact your nervous system positively and then have better health and performance.
My thoughts, for whatever it's worth,
O

Rushed77
04-23-2007, 10:23 PM
One of my legs (left) is around 1/2 an inch shorter than my right.
Im not sure whether i should use a lift or not, it kind of bothers me like when im standing most of my weight is on my right leg. Sometimes i wear a lift, sometimes not.
I've adopted squatting wider to distribute the weight better. Even then, i feel more soreness(not a whole lot more) on my right side. Should i wear a lift while squatting?
On calves, ive decided to go 1-legged on them, since if i use both legs the right extends further(longer leg) and does most of the work.
Also, when i run with a lift, my right lower-back gets sore as hell. Im gonna go to practice with no lift tomorrow, see how it feels. And when i deadlift with no lift, right lower back recieves more work. So should i wear the lift while lifting, but no lift (or less elevation) while running? Just let me know your opinion as a whole. Thanks

darkfact
04-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Hello Dr. Oziem,

Recently I've been debating with my wife on chiropractic care or not. Basically I've been lifting heavily for 5+ years. I'm self-taught so I've gone through many phases of bad form that over the years I've tried to correct. Even still today I find out ways to lift better and safer.

My problem is that I've done something to my lower back over the years, I don't think it's major since it usually doesn't stop me from doing anything, it's just a very annoying and uncomfortable pain that I feel most every day. I can't stand or sit in any postition for too long or it becomes irritated, so I switch to a new position until I inevitably feel pain again, then rinse repeat.

I'm only 29 and I feel that's too young for back pain everyday so I'm sure it's something I've done to it over time.

Any suggestions? Do you think some chiropractic care could relieve the pain?
Thanks in advance-
Jason

oziem
04-24-2007, 06:16 AM
Im not sure whether i should use a lift or not, it kind of bothers me like when im standing most of my weight is on my right leg. Sometimes i wear a lift, sometimes not.
I've adopted squatting wider to distribute the weight better. Even then, i feel more soreness(not a whole lot more) on my right side. Should i wear a lift while squatting?
On calves, ive decided to go 1-legged on them, since if i use both legs the right extends further(longer leg) and does most of the work.
Also, when i run with a lift, my right lower-back gets sore as hell. Im gonna go to practice with no lift tomorrow, see how it feels. And when i deadlift with no lift, right lower back recieves more work. So should i wear the lift while lifting, but no lift (or less elevation) while running? Just let me know your opinion as a whole. Thanks

Rushed there is a list of contraindications to heel lifts which you must be clear of before using a lift. Gonstead docs are trained in this (Gonstead wrote on this in the 70's). If you use one when you shouldn't you can devastate the hip or spine. You may be able to adapt to a 1/2 inch anyway.
It would be a good investment to get an A-P full spine film. In ten seconds a doc could tell if you truly need one.

oziem
04-24-2007, 06:24 AM
Hello Dr. Oziem,

Recently I've been debating with my wife on chiropractic care or not. Basically I've been lifting heavily for 5+ years. I'm self-taught so I've gone through many phases of bad form that over the years I've tried to correct. Even still today I find out ways to lift better and safer.

My problem is that I've done something to my lower back over the years, I don't think it's major since it usually doesn't stop me from doing anything, it's just a very annoying and uncomfortable pain that I feel most every day. I can't stand or sit in any postition for too long or it becomes irritated, so I switch to a new position until I inevitably feel pain again, then rinse repeat.

I'm only 29 and I feel that's too young for back pain everyday so I'm sure it's something I've done to it over time.

Any suggestions? Do you think some chiropractic care could relieve the pain?
Thanks in advance-
Jason

Jason
Proper chiro should do more than relieve the pain but create structural stability and enhanced function and wellness.
I believe you have shifted the sacrum posterior under the L5. The symptoms may come and go and be tolerable but at your age. But you can improve it to the point it won't lead to disaster when you're older. If you go with a chiro you need to rule out a sacral base posterior problem and that the DC is trained to fix it.
I have the problem myself having fractured the facets when I was 10 (I have three major major spine issues that chiro has made life more than liveable for me). It could have ruined my life. There is a big difference by the way between 29 and 39 and 49. You don't want to wait and then have more to deal with later is my thought.
But in the end you and your wife ought to have the same mind on this and every matter.

oziem
04-24-2007, 06:53 AM

BTW
if you are actually 16yo you may have some growing to do. You may adapt to this leg differential. Also the heel lift may affect symmetrical growth in a 16 year old. This is also a possible contraindication.

darkfact
04-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Jason
Proper chiro should do more than relieve the pain but create structural stability and enhanced function and wellness.
I believe you have shifted the sacrum posterior under the L5. The symptoms may come and go and be tolerable but at your age. But you can improve it to the point it won't lead to disaster when you're older. If you go with a chiro you need to rule out a sacral base posterior problem and that the DC is trained to fix it.
I have the problem myself having fractured the facets when I was 10 (I have three major major spine issues that chiro has made life more than liveable for me). It could have ruined my life. There is a big difference by the way between 29 and 39 and 49. You don't want to wait and then have more to deal with later is my thought.
But in the end you and your wife ought to have the same mind on this and every matter.

Ok thanks doc, I'm gonna find out what kind of chiro care is covered by my insurance company and print out your reply to take in with me.

My trade is air traffic control so I mostly sit all day. That's partly why I workout so hard in my free time it's easy for atc guys to get fat and I refuse to go there. I'd just love to be able to sit still for a few hours without shifting around all over the place worrying about the pain in my back.

Thanks again-

TE
04-24-2007, 03:01 PM

Is your leg actually shorter or do you have a rotation in your hips making it appear so?

whitesox3223
04-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Not sure if your the right person to ask this question but here it is.

Running hurts my lower back. I can squat, deadlift, and anything else without problems, just after a few minutes of running my lower back hurts to the point where i cant run anymore. the pain will last a while before subsiding even when im not running. could this be caused by muscle tightness or a problem with my discs? thanks

Just JeffB
04-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Another shoulder question (who`d have thought, right!?)

Several weeks ago I had a bicycle crash that resulted in me landing on my elbow/forearm pretty friggin` hard (it was out to my front). When I got up it felt very awkward and for a moment I though I may have broken my arm. It hurt, but it was a deep, dull pain. Once I was up and shook off the crash my arm/shoulder seemed to be normal and I could move it again, and I never felt any snap, pop, or slipping in my shoulder. It stayed painful for about 4 days, then subsided to about what it was before the crash. The problem was it felt stiff, almost like it needed to pop like a knuckle. NO pain, just stiff. Flash forward 4 weeks. I was again on the bike (I race BMX), and while pulling up for a jump (albeit not very hard at all. The motion is like the first 1/3 of an upright row) I had a stabbing pain in my shoulder (felt like it was directly behind the lateral delt). I stopped and rubbed it for a minute and the pain went away, and I had 100% range of motion and no pain. The stiffness has since come back with a fairly mild pain.

I was thinking maybe a type II AC seperation, but here`s another symptom that makes me think something else is wrong: I noticed that when I stand and raise my arms to the sides, bench press position, my left shoulder seems to sit a good 2 inches higher than my right (the left is the injured one), and it also seems to pivot from a location farther upward and inward than the right. If I turn my arms to the "stick `em up" position, all is normal. It`s only affected when my arms are to the sides and rotated forward.

I do have some pain at certain points, but the strength doesn`t seem to have been affected, though I haven`t exactly been trying to set any lifting records. I`ve been using a flex band and doing some very limited ROM exercises. I can perform the motion of an overhead press, but lateral raises are very tricky. I can also pull my arm across my body by the wrist and my shoulder will pop, again...very similar to what a knuckle would do.
I sleep on my side and although I wake up with some discomfort in the morning I do not feel enough pain to even come close to waking me up at night.

Any strong indications? SUbluxation? Seperation? Severe RC or SLAP tear?
Thanks for any insights!
JeffB

oziem
04-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Is your leg actually shorter or do you have a rotation in your hips making it appear so?

TE Fabulous!!!
The pelvis can make a physiologic short leg. But it won't normally go so far as an actually 1/2 inch if that truly is so in this case. There may also be pelvis rotation plus an anatomic short leg in that case the chiro needs to know what he/she is doing when adjusting, perscribing lifts etc....

oziem
04-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Not sure if your the right person to ask this question but here it is.

Running hurts my lower back. I can squat, deadlift, and anything else without problems, just after a few minutes of running my lower back hurts to the point where i cant run anymore. the pain will last a while before subsiding even when im not running. could this be caused by muscle tightness or a problem with my discs? thanks

Can be muscular. Sacroiliac may be a more likely joint problem (striding induces pain is the indicator) than the disc but that too may be so. A chiro exam is the most comprehensive way of determining if one of the above is the case.

oziem
04-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Another shoulder question (who`d have thought, right!?)

Several weeks ago I had a bicycle crash that resulted in me landing on my elbow/forearm pretty friggin` hard (it was out to my front). When I got up it felt very awkward and for a moment I though I may have broken my arm. It hurt, but it was a deep, dull pain. Once I was up and shook off the crash my arm/shoulder seemed to be normal and I could move it again, and I never felt any snap, pop, or slipping in my shoulder. It stayed painful for about 4 days, then subsided to about what it was before the crash. The problem was it felt stiff, almost like it needed to pop like a knuckle. NO pain, just stiff. Flash forward 4 weeks. I was again on the bike (I race BMX), and while pulling up for a jump (albeit not very hard at all. The motion is like the first 1/3 of an upright row) I had a stabbing pain in my shoulder (felt like it was directly behind the lateral delt). I stopped and rubbed it for a minute and the pain went away, and I had 100% range of motion and no pain. The stiffness has since come back with a fairly mild pain.

I was thinking maybe a type II AC seperation, but here`s another symptom that makes me think something else is wrong: I noticed that when I stand and raise my arms to the sides, bench press position, my left shoulder seems to sit a good 2 inches higher than my right (the left is the injured one), and it also seems to pivot from a location farther upward and inward than the right. If I turn my arms to the "stick `em up" position, all is normal. It`s only affected when my arms are to the sides and rotated forward.

I do have some pain at certain points, but the strength doesn`t seem to have been affected, though I haven`t exactly been trying to set any lifting records. I`ve been using a flex band and doing some very limited ROM exercises. I can perform the motion of an overhead press, but lateral raises are very tricky. I can also pull my arm across my body by the wrist and my shoulder will pop, again...very similar to what a knuckle would do.
I sleep on my side and although I wake up with some discomfort in the morning I do not feel enough pain to even come close to waking me up at night.

Any strong indications? SUbluxation? Seperation? Severe RC or SLAP tear?
Thanks for any insights!
JeffB

Sounds like AC or CC (posterio-lateral) separation with possible tendonitis.
You ought to get these checked
the spine esp cervicothoracic
the shoulder incl. clavicle and scapula
the arm especially forearm and elbow

Jeff a good chiro trained in extremity work who will emphasize adjustment and not jump right into therapy rehab etc. (before adjusting) could help.
If you have completely torn and separated (luxated) the AC or CC it is very difficult to get stability and function no matter what intervention you do.
You best be careful biking, I am assuming you have no intention of laying off for a while.
Keep me posted.

Just JeffB
04-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Thank you for such a quick reply!! And yes, you are partly correct in that I really can`t lay off much. I have cut my competitive racing to a minimum for now, but I still train on the track 4 days a week. There may be a spot in the Pro ranks for me next year...

And thanks for the suggestions. The forearm/elbow should be OK as they were well protected and padded. The rest...as soon as I can afford to get to the chiro I`ll have it checked. The CC sounds a bit more likely. The symptoms and cause point to AC joint, but I don`t have the typical "bump". Standing relaxed (or from most angles, for that matter) my shoulders are symetrical.

Are there any exercises to avoid at this point? I`m taking time off from the gym and just using the flex band to keep it mobile, but a friend who recently got a type III/borderline type IV separation was advised not to do any pulling movements. Would that apply to me as well? Pulling motions actually feel pretty good, but if they are detrimental I won`t continue.

Thanks again,
JeffB

oziem
04-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Thank you for such a quick reply!! And yes, you are partly correct in that I really can`t lay off much. I have cut my competitive racing to a minimum for now, but I still train on the track 4 days a week. There may be a spot in the Pro ranks for me next year...

And thanks for the suggestions. The forearm/elbow should be OK as they were well protected and padded. The rest...as soon as I can afford to get to the chiro I`ll have it checked. The CC sounds a bit more likely. The symptoms and cause point to AC joint, but I don`t have the typical "bump". Standing relaxed (or from most angles, for that matter) my shoulders are symetrical.

Are there any exercises to avoid at this point? I`m taking time off from the gym and just using the flex band to keep it mobile, but a friend who recently got a type III/borderline type IV separation was advised not to do any pulling movements. Would that apply to me as well? Pulling motions actually feel pretty good, but if they are detrimental I won`t continue.

Thanks again,
JeffB

Any kind of abduction or rotation of the shoulder you may want to avoid. Calf raises sound safe :)

TE
04-25-2007, 08:10 AM
TE Fabulous!!!
The pelvis can make a physiologic short leg. But it won't normally go so far as an actually 1/2 inch if that truly is so in this case. There may also be pelvis rotation plus an anatomic short leg in that case the chiro needs to know what he/she is doing when adjusting, perscribing lifts etc....

Thank you, sir. I am/was a massage therapist (forearm issues) who strictly worked in clinical settings. I've worked with several D.C.'s & D.O.'s & drilled them with every question in the book in regards to treatments and plans of action. Sacro-iliac & TMJ dysfunction were my favorites.

romanaz
04-25-2007, 08:35 AM
I just went to my chiropractor on monday and I saw something disturbing. There was a sheet with space to sign your name and put your number on it, against a bill (forget the number) in the NJ Senate that would prohibit chiropractors from doing adjustments on anything but the spine.

What is your opinion on this?

I signed the paper because my chiropractor helps with a ton of little problems I get from training or from some physiological problems I have. Examples are : I popped my right knee cap out just slightly and I got patella tendonitis in the knee now, and after he adjusted it, it felt better and its gotten better over the last 2 days. He also helps with my tendonitis in my left forearm/wrist and he fixed a pinched nerve in my left elbow which was keeping me from throwing (I used to pitch in middle school baseball) like I used to.

I fully support chiropractic and everything it does. Its probably one of the better type of treatments I've recieved.

Ex-Terminator
04-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Update: I went to a chiropractor today for the first time ever. He took x-rays and did an adjustment on the spine and neck. The neck part was scary! It sounded like my neck just snapped! He said that was normal, though. All in all, it was an experience.

Now the bad news....according to him and my x-ray, I should stop doing squats. He said that, looking at the shape of my skeleton where the neck meets the skull, I really shouldn't be laying a heavy bar across there. At one point a few months ago (before I got my shoulder "stinger"), I had gotten up to 255 pounds for reps. When I started back doing them again, I started lighter and tonight I would have repped 170.

Dr. Oziem, what are your thoughts on this? Should I switch to deadlifts or get one of those specialty squatting bars?

oziem
04-25-2007, 08:19 PM
I just went to my chiropractor on monday and I saw something disturbing. There was a sheet with space to sign your name and put your number on it, against a bill (forget the number) in the NJ Senate that would prohibit chiropractors from doing adjustments on anything but the spine.

What is your opinion on this?

I signed the paper because my chiropractor helps with a ton of little problems I get from training or from some physiological problems I have. Examples are : I popped my right knee cap out just slightly and I got patella tendonitis in the knee now, and after he adjusted it, it felt better and its gotten better over the last 2 days. He also helps with my tendonitis in my left forearm/wrist and he fixed a pinched nerve in my left elbow which was keeping me from throwing (I used to pitch in middle school baseball) like I used to.

I fully support chiropractic and everything it does. Its probably one of the better type of treatments I've recieved.

The first chiro was jailed for adjusting feet. They said he was practicing medicine without license. Now all sorts of folks are "adjusting" without license.
Chiros have adjusted all subluxations wherever found for 112 years.

oziem
04-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Update: I went to a chiropractor today for the first time ever. He took x-rays and did an adjustment on the spine and neck. The neck part was scary! It sounded like my neck just snapped! He said that was normal, though. All in all, it was an experience.

Now the bad news....according to him and my x-ray, I should stop doing squats. He said that, looking at the shape of my skeleton where the neck meets the skull, I really shouldn't be laying a heavy bar across there. At one point a few months ago (before I got my shoulder "stinger"), I had gotten up to 255 pounds for reps. When I started back doing them again, I started lighter and tonight I would have repped 170.

Dr. Oziem, what are your thoughts on this? Should I switch to deadlifts or get one of those specialty squatting bars?

Ask your doc and those in the know on BB.com about the Manta support for squat bars. That may be a viable option. And all the Pling oriented on this forum will tell you to do DL's also I am sure.

Orgoonian
04-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Hello,and thank you for making this thread!

During the past few weeks,it has felt like my body is tightening up.Right now i have the flexability of a slab of granite,and it has affected all my lifts.
For example,when i do a pressing movement(most noticeable on chest press machine)my right side shoulder seems to be higher than my left,however when i do bb curls,my left shoulder elevates much higher than my right.This happens even on light weight movements.

Another thing that is happenening is my lower back starts to tingle,like it is falling asleep a few times a day.This happens rather randomly,whether i have lifted that day or not,either sitting,or standing.

I realize that a massage therapist is in my future,so my question is,should i see a chiropractor first,or try massage then a chiropractor?

Thank you for your time!

oziem
04-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Hello,and thank you for making this thread!

During the past few weeks,it has felt like my body is tightening up.Right now i have the flexability of a slab of granite,and it has affected all my lifts.
For example,when i do a pressing movement(most noticeable on chest press machine)my right side shoulder seems to be higher than my left,however when i do bb curls,my left shoulder elevates much higher than my right.This happens even on light weight movements.

Another thing that is happenening is my lower back starts to tingle,like it is falling asleep a few times a day.This happens rather randomly,whether i have lifted that day or not,either sitting,or standing.

I realize that a massage therapist is in my future,so my question is,should i see a chiropractor first,or try massage then a chiropractor?

Thank you for your time!

Hi O
A LMT will cost less (short term, but long term could be more expensive) and give therapeutic results to the muscle.
A DC will cost more short term but may be able to do more for the nerve and resulting spasm.
I always seek chiro first but many choose the alternative. Either way your results are better if you act sooner.

big8guy
04-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi and thanks for this thread.

About 2 months ago i hurt my back doing deadlifts, due to form getting sloppy in the middle of a set. At first the pain was in the middle of my lower back but for the past month or so it has been in my left lower back. I believe that i have pinched a nerve. I have tried to strecth it out and keep lifting with the exception of deadlifts, stiffleg deadlifts and a few other exercises. The problem is that when i keep my legs straight and try to bend at the waist it is very painfull and i cannot do it, whereas before the injury i could bend and touch my toes while keeping my legs straight. So this is keeping me from doing the exercises i mentioned above as well as other things such as bent over rows and whatnot. Any insight on what to do for this kind of injury would be very helpful.

thanks