PDA

View Full Version : Drinking oatmeal less effective then eating oatmeal??

proteinman
02-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Would drinking an oatmeal shake be less effective as a carb rather then eating it? Doesn't grinding up the oats change the glycemic index?

What about eating cooked oatmeal compared to just raw oatmeal?

Also would drinking too much oatmeal be bad for your stomach?

I'm tired of eating oatmeal, and would rather just down it as a shake.

axelism
02-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by proteinman
Would drinking an oatmeal shake be less effective as a carb rather then eating it? Doesn't grinding up the oats change the glycemic index?

What about eating cooked oatmeal compared to just raw oatmeal?

Also would drinking too much oatmeal be bad for your stomach?

I'm tired of eating oatmeal, and would rather just down it as a shake.

I would like to know this as well because the last month or so I've been downing oatmeal and whey together without eating it.

afrolov
02-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Cookied oatmeal creates an insignificant change in the GI value. Grinding it up can easily add 10 points (but not much more than that) to the GI value.

trinitycab2
02-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Try blending the oatmeal before mixing meaning no cooking. I have done it and I use a coffee grinder. It comes out almost like a flour but it still has the same nutritional value and may even make the fibre more effective sense it hasn't been exposed to heat. Most fibres become weak when exposed to heat and moisture so the fibre may be less effective.
Let me know what your think.

alan aragon
02-13-2004, 12:13 PM
i'd say the increase in GI by reducing oatmeal's particle size has negligible real-world relevance. i personally like to eat oatmeal, it gives me a little more time to sit & think in the morning at breakfast.

TrudyV
02-17-2004, 01:31 AM
Grinding it raises the GI a little bit. Uncooked oatmeal is not supposed to be good. Something about sticking to your insides. Who actually chews their oatmeal? I just swallow it so it doesn't matter if you "eat" it or drink it.