PDA

View Full Version : Overtraining a particular muscle group

Justin_itm
04-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Is it possible to over train a certain group of muscles? I've hard the hardest time getting my arms to grow like to the rest of my body, however I train them harder then anything else. I split my workout like this

Saturday- rest
Sunday- Back/abs
Monday - Legs
Tuesday - Arms/abs
Wednesday - Shoulders
Thursday- Chest
Friday - rest

Could I risk overtraining?

qb-killa
04-12-2007, 06:07 PM
You can't overtrain a muscle only the CNS.

As for muscles, I think if you don't give them enough recovery time growth will be minimal. If your arms aren't growing with your current intensity/frequency/volume/exercise-selection, there are 3 ways IMO that your muscles might respond better to.

1.The general consensus w/ the people here at bb.com is that less is more. Reduce overall volume and/or intensity, and your arms may respond better.

2.Change exercise selection, you may be doing too many isolation exercises and not enough compounds, or have a muscular imbalance.

3.My favorite. "Shock" your muscles into growth by purposefully overworking them. Do max effort bench press and pullups for a few day straight, your performance will decrease temporarily. Then, take a break, when you come back your lifts should be up and your arms might be bigger.

I got that last idea somewhat from t-nation. However, it worked well for me. I did an all out strip-set of squats the day before winter break last year and my squat jumped up almost 50 pounds when I got back!

Justin_itm
04-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Awesome, I'll give it a shot! Switch up the routine some. Usually i'd do "down the rack sets" with both wide and narrow grips on the ez curl bar, And then do the same with normal dumbell curls. Do 4 sets of each. Then do dumbell curls on the incline bench. And call biceps done. What should I add or take out of my routine?