PDA

View Full Version : Diagnose my shoulder injury.

Temperate
04-11-2007, 12:38 PM
I feel a sharp pain in my right shoulder (I'm right handed) when doing Hammer Strength Iso-High Row, pull-ups, and really any pulling motion. I do not notice it as much when doing seated rows. It does not bother me when doing incline bench or military press (i.e. pushing exercises). It seems to be related to pulling. I first noticed it several weeks ago, but it wasn't bad at all. I went to the gym two nights ago tried to do a warm-up with Iso-High-Row, and thought my shoulder was coming off. It still hurts a little.

Anyone know what this could be?
How to fix/heal it?

Thanks!

oziem
04-11-2007, 12:48 PM
anterior, superior or posterior shoulder? Actually in the joint or in a muscle?

euphoria1
04-11-2007, 12:53 PM
What is the pain like, did it just start happening? Where do you feel the pain. Do you feel grinding? Does the pain shoot anywhere?

Temperate
04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
What is the pain like, did it just start happening? Where do you feel the pain. Do you feel grinding? Does the pain shoot anywhere?

To answer OZIEM: mostly posterior, and in the joint area.
To answer EUPHORIA1: the pain is very sharp; it is not always present, but occurs only when I pull a certain way; its been around for about 4 weeks; its not a grinding, ist more like sharp severe pain; no, the pain does not shoot anywere.

The wierd thing to me is that it does not seem to be going away. I took 5 days off last week--no lifting of any kind--but it was still there, and almost seemed worse, when I tried to resume 3 days ago . . . . But at the same time, it only hurts when I pull.

LostMyself
04-12-2007, 06:12 PM
I have the same injury I think. I only feel it when I'm on the lat pulley machine or wide pull ups.

Its located just on the shoulder but towards the front.

Will keep an eye on this thread to see if there is a solution.

oziem
04-12-2007, 06:52 PM
If the pain is posterior and the shoulder is dislocating you may have some rotator cuff damage. You may have bursitis referring to suprascapularis. You may have a bad scap or bad GH, though GH is usually painful in the front. Have you ever landed hard on the shoulder?
I think I would look to a massage person first then if need be (probably do) a good chiro for intervention.

oziem
04-12-2007, 06:55 PM
I have the same injury I think. I only feel it when I'm on the lat pulley machine or wide pull ups.

Its located just on the shoulder but towards the front.

Will keep an eye on this thread to see if there is a solution.

your prob I think is the GH. The arm slipping forward and down. You may be able to alleviate dysfunction by nudging the arm up and back by gripping under the elbow with your affected arm tucked close to your side.

oziem
04-12-2007, 06:57 PM
To answer OZIEM: mostly posterior, and in the joint area.
To answer EUPHORIA1: the pain is very sharp; it is not always present, but occurs only when I pull a certain way; its been around for about 4 weeks; its not a grinding, ist more like sharp severe pain; no, the pain does not shoot anywere.

The wierd thing to me is that it does not seem to be going away. I took 5 days off last week--no lifting of any kind--but it was still there, and almost seemed worse, when I tried to resume 3 days ago . . . . But at the same time, it only hurts when I pull.

I am leaning toward beginnings of rotator cuff damage. You can get the scap adjusted if needed and the muscles massaged if needed and then work under observation to train the muscles in balance. A detailed exam is recommended I think. It may save you hassles in the future.

Temperate
04-13-2007, 04:10 PM
??.

Temperate
04-13-2007, 04:11 PM
You can get the scap adjusted if needed and the muscles massaged if needed and then work under observation to train the muscles in balance. A detailed exam is recommended I think. It may save you hassles in the future.

What is the "scap?" What type of MD should I see?

OK, I found several "tests for rotator cuff injury" on Web MD:

Drop arm test: Hold your arm straight out to your side (90 degrees) with your thumb down. Lower your arm slowly. If it drops suddenly, you probably have a rotator cuff tear.

Hold your arm straight out to the side, level with your shoulder, with your palm facing down (hand in a fist). Your health professional will press your arm down to determine your strength in this position.

Raise your arm straight in front about shoulder height (90 degrees) and turn your wrist so your thumb points toward the floor. Your health professional tries to push your arm down against your resistance. If your rotator cuff is weak or torn, you will not be able to hold your arm steady as your health professional pushes down on it.

Raise your arm straight in front about shoulder height (90 degrees) and turn your palm up toward the ceiling. Your health professional will try to force your hand downward against your resistance. If your rotator cuff is weak or torn, you will not be able to hold your arm steady as your health professional pushes down on it. If you have more pain or weakness in this position, you may also have bicep tendon damage.

Hold your arm at your side, bend your elbow, and turn your wrist so your thumb points toward the ceiling. Your health professional will try to force your hand in toward your stomach as you resist by trying to rotate your arm outward. If your rotator cuff is weak or torn, you will not be able to hold your arm steady as your health professional pushes on it.

The touchdown test: Raise your arms alongside your ears, with your palms facing inward. Your doctor will stand behind you and push your arms forward. If you have trouble resisting this, you may have a rotator cuff tear.

Of these, only the "Touchdown Test" causes me any pain. Here is how I did it, which may not be like the test says:

1. Drop my right arm down to my side; then, bend the arm at the elbow palms facing in, and on the side of my body, so that the palm of my open right hand is facing my right ear. With my left hand, grabbing the right elbow, I then try to pull the arm forward--while simultaneously trying to keep the right arm stationary--this produces pain in the rear of my shoulder. The pain almost feels like it is where the posterior delt ties into the back . . . .

OR

2. While seated in front of a table I extend my right arm, bent at the elbow, and rest the elbow on the table. The right arm is slightly less than 90 degrees. If I try to push down with the arm, keeping the elbow on the table--again, there is pain in the rear of the shoulder, almost where the posterior delt ties into the back . . . .

So, is this a rotator cuff injury, or something else??

LostMyself
04-15-2007, 11:45 AM
your prob I think is the GH. The arm slipping forward and down. You may be able to alleviate dysfunction by nudging the arm up and back by gripping under the elbow with your affected arm tucked close to your side.

Went gym and tried that today and it worked a treat dude. Thanks for that.

RippinLBs
06-22-2009, 11:18 PM
I know dead thread but been browsing the shoulder injury postings and this sounds most similar to mine.

My shoulder has been hurting for over 6 weeks now. Once I felt pain, I rested it for 1 week. Then for 2 weeks every other day I did about 10 different rotator cuff exercises and stretches. After the 2 weeks I didn't notice any significant improvement so I stopped doing any type of exercises for it, but it's still not improving.

Pain is in the rear part of my right shoulder. If I take my right hand and place the palm of my right hand on the top/rear of my left trap, and then lift my right elbow upwards I can feel the pain in rear part of right shoulder.

Any idea of what this is? I don't have insurance so can't go for PT route. But I was also looking into this article: www dot muscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/pushups_face_pulls_and_shrugs%3bjsessionid=29A3CA1 DF5E17631E6F1C7449140071D.hydra (sorry can't post url bc new member) where they talk about scapula and training that area to recover muslce strength. I'm thinking about doing this.

Not lifting weights for over 6 weeks is killing me. I'm almost to the point of giving it up all together and look for a new method of working out.

Any idea's of what this may be is much appreciated! I don't mind taking additional rest off if I can figure out some rehab exercises/stretching to do on my own. I'm not even entertaining trying to workout through the pain even though I know I could but I feel this is something minor and I'd rather try and take care of it than really mess it up.