PDA

View Full Version : shoulder pain...torn labrum?

bigwood243
04-10-2007, 10:12 PM
i've had left shoulder pain on and off since about june. there is a slight grinding in the joint when i rotate it backwards. the pain is towards the front of my shoulder, and sometimes i also get a slight pain down my biceps muscle. it hurts mostly when i bench and incline press, and also when i do front shoulder raises, but when i'm lowering the weight. i really don't know what causes a labrum tear, but i've researched my symptoms and it seems this is what it might be. rest definatly seems to help, and recently i've been going lighter weight/more reps and that has also seemed to help a little. has anyone had similar problems and known what it was? im considering seeing a doctor about this, but i don't think im going to like what i hear.

keg_daddy
04-11-2007, 12:38 AM
It may also be your biceps tendon. The insertion is behind the anterior delt.

Buff_Daddy
04-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Youve had this for almost a year... its not likely to go away... Id highly recommend seeing a sports doc and getting an MRI to find out exactly what is going on in your shoulder and dictate the course of treatment... otherwise its just guesswork. Labrum tears can only be treated by surgery... I had mine repaired over 6 months ago.

Best of luck
Mike

dexterium
04-11-2007, 04:45 AM
You may also want to try some USPlabs Super Cissus RX. This does not mean that you can continue to lift, but you should definitely take some time off, go to the doctor and find out the correct route.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/usp/super.html

PhoenixBuff
04-11-2007, 07:12 AM
i've had left shoulder pain on and off since about june. there is a slight grinding in the joint when i rotate it backwards. the pain is towards the front of my shoulder, and sometimes i also get a slight pain down my biceps muscle. it hurts mostly when i bench and incline press, and also when i do front shoulder raises, but when i'm lowering the weight. i really don't know what causes a labrum tear, but i've researched my symptoms and it seems this is what it might be. rest definatly seems to help, and recently i've been going lighter weight/more reps and that has also seemed to help a little. has anyone had similar problems and known what it was? im considering seeing a doctor about this, but i don't think im going to like what i hear.

I've been reading on the Labrum issue as well - I "tweeked" my shoulder a few weeks back. Thankfully, it's getting much better so that wasn't my problem.

I'm not so sure that if you've torn your Labrum, that you need surgery. A person your age may just need to stay away from the gym for a while and rest, but I'm no doctor....I've read tons of articles on the subject online and I highly recommend you do the same. If pain is shooting down your bicep, you can have an entirely different injury.

You may want to rest for a week or so, ice the area 2-3 times a day and take some anti-inflammatories (i.e. motrin) as well. If that doesn't work, take the route others have recommended, get an MRI. Do not screw around as this injury can stay with you for the rest of your life if not treated properly.

Good luck and please be sure to come back and let us know how everything turns out for you.

BradleyS
04-11-2007, 08:42 AM
I was in your same position.

Pain doing certain motions, having trouble gaining strength anymore

I thought hell, my shoulder is just inflamed again...i'll give it a break. no dice, still hurt.

figured what the hell, I need to get this checked...either i'm a pussy who can't lift weight anymore, or I have some serious problems.

So...I get a MRI done (don't plan on looking forward to it) and 40% of my labrum is torn. oops.

I also have a slight numbness feeling if I touched the front of my shoulder in a certain position...weird feeling

PhoenixBuff
04-11-2007, 08:46 AM
I was in your same position.

Pain doing certain motions, having trouble gaining strength anymore

I thought hell, my shoulder is just inflamed again...i'll give it a break. no dice, still hurt.

figured what the hell, I need to get this checked...either i'm a pussy who can't lift weight anymore, or I have some serious problems.

So...I get a MRI done (don't plan on looking forward to it) and 40% of my labrum is torn. oops.

I also have a slight numbness feeling if I touched the front of my shoulder in a certain position...weird feeling

So what did your doctor recommend? Surgery or Rest for a while? Thanks.

BradleyS
04-11-2007, 08:54 AM
the doctor was very clear on the fact that it will not heal itself. This is my right shoulder that is torn, however my shoulders are so "loose" that he dislocated the left one by mistake. Genetics...damn them.

I believe him when he says it will not heal itself. I've lived with the pain for a year, while thinking therapy will fix it. it's not fun. If I make the shoulder pissed off at me (haha) it will create pain quite frequently, such as during jogging or riding in a truck.

May 25th is my surgery. arthroscopic if possible, if he can't reach it all the surgery will turn into a open shoulder procedure.

The pain is not fun. The MRI is not fun. Multiple people have told me the pain after the surgery was the worst they have felt in their life, multiple females that I know told me they would rather give birth then go through that pain again. So, I hope everything goes well and I will be pain free after (which I believe I will be)

dexterium
04-11-2007, 08:59 AM
the doctor was very clear on the fact that it will not heal itself. This is my right shoulder that is torn, however my shoulders are so "loose" that he dislocated the left one by mistake. Genetics...damn them.

I believe him when he says it will not heal itself. I've lived with the pain for a year, while thinking therapy will fix it. it's not fun. If I make the shoulder pissed off at me (haha) it will create pain quite frequently, such as during jogging or riding in a truck.

May 25th is my surgery. arthroscopic if possible, if he can't reach it all the surgery will turn into a open shoulder procedure.

The pain is not fun. The MRI is not fun. Multiple people have told me the pain after the surgery was the worst they have felt in their life, multiple females that I know told me they would rather give birth then go through that pain again. So, I hope everything goes well and I will be pain free after (which I believe I will be)

Pain for pleasure = Surgery to be able to workout again man.

:D

bigwood243
04-11-2007, 02:07 PM
alrite, thanks guys...i'm gonna finish out the semester and then consider seeing a doctor early on in the summer. i'll let ya know how things turn out.

Buff_Daddy
04-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Multiple people have told me the pain after the surgery was the worst they have felt in their life, multiple females that I know told me they would rather give birth then go through that pain again. So, I hope everything goes well and I will be pain free after (which I believe I will be)

Rubbish... I had mine done in Oct '06 and there is nothing to it. You get an interscalene block that numbs your whole arm... no pain. IF you can get over the annoyance of being in a sling for 4 weeks (not that hard), your set.

steve638
04-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Rubbish... I had mine done in Oct '06 and there is nothing to it. You get an interscalene block that numbs your whole arm... no pain. IF you can get over the annoyance of being in a sling for 4 weeks (not that hard), your set.

when i had my labrum surgery they told me that the block you are talking about involved a rather long needle into your neck so i was instantly out on that lol. looking back i should have opted to go with the block cause for the next few days i was in such pain i wasnt able to sleep. so yea if you get the block shouldnt be too bad but without it there is a lot of pain after the surgery

ScoobyDrew
04-13-2007, 01:25 PM
I went through surgery to get my torn labrum and frayed rotator cuff fixed back in October. Outside of the drugs and two weeks off work, it was a miserable experience. I couldn't workout for 3 months. Even during PT, my training there was light. Now 6 months later, I still have some discomfort with anything having to press (flat/decline is the worse) and holding the bar for squats. Either case, it made me smarter so I would never have to go through that again. It's all up to you if surgery is what you want. However, you really should get the advice of a medical professional rather than try to treat/diagnose yourself. The shoulder is something not to screw around with.