PDA

View Full Version : back pain setting bar down on deadlift

rreif
04-10-2007, 09:15 PM
last week i was going into my workout and did deadlift first. i was going through my warmups and at 225 it started hurting the last 5 inches before the bar hit the ground before i started the next rep. its the muscles on the lower back, the ones that stick out when you walk. lifting the weight is fine, its just putting it on the ground that killed me. i tend to ease the weight down, i dont just drop it or let it pull me down.
another thing, usually when i deadlift i squat first. This was the first time i deadlifted first and iam thinking maybe i just wasnt warmed up enough

dexterium
04-11-2007, 04:52 AM
I tend not to do squats and deadlifts on the same day. I rotate them each week. (Week 1 = Squats Week 2 = Deadlifts, repeat).

Make sure that your back is straight the entire time while setting the bar down and also try to keep the bar as close to your body as possible the entire exercise; literally drag it UP your legs. (But, don't let it drag down because this will cut your knee caps off ;) but still keep it close!).

Always warm up properly and for deadlifting, try concentrating all your lift in your legs and letting your back be naturally incorporated into the movement.

oziem
04-11-2007, 07:55 AM
That's why people drop the bar with bumper plates. SLDL'd may be better for you. Be careful not to round the low back.