PDA

View Full Version : Chondromalacia (Knee Problem)

Sprinter485
04-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Hello all,

Due to my poor biomechanical form and numerous years of running, I've developed chondromalacia in my left leg. Basically, I pronate (run on the outside of my feet) when I run, which, after many miles, has caused a muscle imbalance in my quad, causing the outer portion to be stronger than the inner portion. This causes the kneecap to be pulled out of place and causes pain in the inner knee area while I run, walk up stairs, etc..

I've been doing some exercises and stretches that I got from a therapist, but I had two questions for the board:

1. Do you think I could do the elliptical trainer while I'm undergoing rehabilitation, or does that put stress on the knee? I know that the stationary bike is beneficial given my condition, but I wasn't sure about the elliptical (or which was better).

2. Has anyone had this problem before? And, if so, were there any particular stretches/exercises that you found to be especially helpful?

njman
04-11-2007, 02:55 PM
hey, sorry I can't help but my brother does have the same thing. Can you please tell me what exercises your therapist told you to do?

oziem
04-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Bike without tension, slowly backward and frontward, is what I would say. Definitely check with your PT before anything new.

Sprinter485
04-11-2007, 10:52 PM
I don't know how helpful they've been, but I've been given a bunch of stretches to loosen up the hamstring and quads, namely:

1. Foot against the wall stretch (put your toes of one foot against the wall and arch your heel)
2. Standing up, bend one leg back to your ass and hold it there with your hand (quad stretch)
3. 2 hip flexor stretches - one is too complicated to describe, the other is pretty simple: put one foot kind of far front of your body and then, keeping your feet flat on the floor, try to bring your hips over your front foot.

And a couple of other generic hammy stretches in there as well.

As for the exercises:

1. Supposedly this is the best one - you need a light 3-5 lb ankle weight to do it. Lying down on your back and keeping both of your legs straight, lift up the leg with the weight (keeping your knee straight the entire time). You're supposed to do this two ways - one with the toes pointing straight ahead normally, and one with the toes pointing out (e.g. if the weight is on your left foot, your toes point to the left; if the weight is on your right foot, your toes point to the right).
2. Easy wall squats with no weight and a stabilizing ball behind your back.
3. Step-ups - one leg at a time, step up onto an elevated platform and then down. You can add weight (holding free weights in your hands as your perform the step-up) as time goes on.

Honestly, I don't know how helpful these all are. A friend of mine had chondromalacia and said he went to PT and they made him do all of these exercises and stretches and it didn't help at all, but then he went to another doctor and he showed him 1 exercise (#1 listed above, the weighted leg lifts) and it cured him. So who knows.

JRT6
04-11-2007, 11:22 PM
I have chondro in both knees and the eliptical works great. If you bike use toe clips and be sure and pull on the pedals. Be sure your stretches include one for the IT Band, calves and hamstrings. A PT can show you exercises to help get the VMO to flex first. Finally leg lifts using one leg at a time such as leg press will help develop the VMO/proximal part of the knee and keep the patella tracking right.