PDA

View Full Version : I have herniated disk L4/L5 region. Can i do body building?

Cyberfox
04-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Hi there guys! I am new at this forum! actually, its my first time posting here!

First of all, i am 20 years old, my weight is 75 Kg and i am 1,90 meters tall.

I started body building 2 months ago. I have a friend that is very developed in muscles because he does body building for about 4 years! and he is leading my exercises.

But I have hernia disk at region l4/l5 because when i was younger i felt from a hole and i made a hernia....a medium hernia in that region. As he didn't knew what exercises i could and i could not pratice, we talked with the personal trainers in our gym and they told us what to do.

My goal is to gain muscle! because i am 1,90 meters tall but i am very slim! :P

so, my questions are:

Can i do body building with my hernia to get bigger muscles or should i pratice other sport?

Can i do?:

Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Barbell Curl
One-Arm Dumbbell Row
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Front Dumbbell Raise
Leg Extensions

without any risks?

i have been doing all these above and i have 'little pain' in my hernia...maybe i CAN do them but i am not doing them very well...like....overcharging...more weight than i should lift...is it?

I know that squads are blacklisted for my problem. And The general legs exercises are not good for my problem also like Leg Press! what about leg extensions and Lying Leg Curls?

Is militar shoulder press not good too?

i was told that all the exercises that do a vertical force in my back are not good for my hernia.

Please if anyone can guide me and help me i would apreciate it!!!

what kind of exercises should i NOT DO?

Thank you all for your attention to my problem!

Hugs guys :)

someguy20
04-10-2007, 08:13 PM
**** NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would walk and swim at most, trust me back pain is not worth seeing minimal gains, and the spine is nothing to mess with.

Bench press is ok IF you put your legs on the bench so youll have to go lighter, you can do excercises that put 0 compresion on the spine try not to sit alot as well as its almost as bad as bending over if you work at a desk job try standing up.

Also if you dont have pain and are older(didnt see your age) most older people have herniated disks.

Edit: just reread your post fully I think you edited it and hernia or herniated disk? Im suprised your up if you have a herniated disk but seriosly if its a herniated disk stop or youll risk permanent damage. Wait till it heals which unfortunatly to say may take a while.

Cyberfox
04-10-2007, 08:22 PM
oh....i don't know the difference between hernia disk or herniated disk. I know that i have a medium hernia in my disk that its pressing on my sciatic nerve when i get pain. Now i have no pain so it is not pressing it.

oh....so body building is not good for me? even if i am careful with exercises :(

and what about crunches? they don't damage it do they?

someguy20
04-10-2007, 08:28 PM
I hear crunches are bad for your back as well so I wouldnt recomend them.

Recomend walking for now if you have pain it will speed up recovery.

Do you still have nerve pain or any back pain, I would check with your doctor but usually if the pain is gone its time to SLOWLY return to weightlifting.

zolaash
04-10-2007, 08:31 PM
i disagree with someguy. i'm a 23 yr old female and have 2 collapsed/herniated disc (L4/L5 & L5/S1 - way low back) from an injury i received while coaching gymnastics about 4 yrs ago. currently i run 20-30 miles a week and lift 5 days a week. a herniated disc will NOT heal without surgery however it will not always have you down and out and completly unable to workout. if you take care of yourself you can rehab your back and should be able to lift just fine. when i feel pain i stop what i'm doing, stretch really well and 99% of the time i'm back to 100% the next day. take it easy at first and most importantly let your doctor tell you what he thinks is alright! good luck!! anything's possible...i ran a marathon post-back injury and will be doing a half-ironman triathlon in september!

Cyberfox
04-10-2007, 08:32 PM
thanks! :D

i am open for more opinions! post them! :)

Scandalousmrt
04-11-2007, 07:30 PM
I had an l4/l5 herniated disc also. If at all possible find a personal trainer that specializes in sports injuries will be able to work with you for a while. Its important you build your core and supporting muscles but don't do crunches or similar movements, there are other excercises to strengthen you core. Also dont do anything that puts weight on your spine, i.e. military press, squats, standing barbell/dumbell curls. With any lift you do make sure your back is supported. Riding a stationary bike is probably a good idea for cardio since its low impact and supports your back.

Hope your back gets better.

sweetpeas
04-30-2007, 05:56 AM
[QUOTE=someguy20;33619651]**** NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems like you have given this some thought anyway.

I suffered a herniated disc last year....had an operation strengtherned my core and im back to 80% of what i was doing i will never squat 220kg s again but i can train but with care.

Incidentaly my weel known surgeon who is MY EXPERT has no issues with it.

Good luck