PDA

View Full Version : SLow Pace to burn fat?

bracks02
04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Can someone please explain or list a link that will explain why running at a slow pace will burn fat versus a fast pace. I have been doing about 8-10 miles a week on the elliptic machine but I do it at a pretty fast pace so I'am I wasting my time id fat loss is my goal?

Thanks

user89489489438943
04-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Can someone please explain or list a link that will explain why running at a slow pace will burn fat versus a fast pace. I have been doing about 8-10 miles a week on the elliptic machine but I do it at a pretty fast pace so I'am I wasting my time id fat loss is my goal?

Thanks

it doesnt matter if u run at 160 mph or 5.

its all about buring more calories than ur consuming.

jay.
04-10-2007, 08:23 PM
one side of the story: http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/cardiolayman.php

there are arguments in favor of HIIT as well. i believe it goes, low intensity burns fat during the actual exercise, while HIIT will burn the fat post-exercise.

the biggest advantage i see for HIIT is time.

edit: the article also makes a good argument against fasted exercise. :)

liftsometimes
04-10-2007, 08:28 PM
It is all about training it your heart rate zone for burning calories from fat instead of blood sugar. If you want to burn fat then you need to train at 65-70 percent of your max heart rate(220- your age). Most people train way harder than needed and do not see results fast enough and therefore quit where if they would train a little smarter rather than harder they would see noticable results quickly and continue.

Bronkko
04-10-2007, 08:40 PM
one side of the story: http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/cardiolayman.php

:)

need a phd to read that article. ;-)

KowboysUp
04-11-2007, 08:43 AM
As somebody before said, you do slow cardio (incline walking, eliptical, recumbant bike) for a long period of time (at least 20 minutes) and you will start to burn fat stores. Do high intensity cardio (full court basketball, sprints, whatever) and you will burn mostly carbs during the actual excercise but continue to burn carbs and fat later.

There's still debate over which is better, but everyone can agree you should do the one you WILL do consistently. Do what you enjoy and you'll see the benefits.

GiovanniR
04-11-2007, 08:44 AM
As somebody before said, you do slow cardio (incline walking, eliptical, recumbant bike) for a long period of time (at least 20 minutes) and you will start to burn fat stores. Do high intensity cardio (full court basketball, sprints, whatever) and you will burn mostly carbs during the actual excercise but continue to burn carbs and fat later.

There's still debate over which is better, but everyone can agree you should do the one you WILL do consistently. Do what you enjoy and you'll see the benefits.

Quoted For Truth.

niiick
04-11-2007, 08:48 AM
quote it for truth when it's inaccurate (splitting hairs here)

to sum it up ... HIIT burn GLYCOGEN stores, so that your body uses bodyfat for fuel post workout. Lowintensity burns through fat stores, with the problem of glycocen/carb stores being turned to fat later if not used as resources for the body.

skibbi9
04-11-2007, 08:49 AM
see this article

check out "Staying fat in the fat burning zone", which is the second article http://www.aminoz.com.au/featured-fighting-magazine-n-90.html

GiovanniR
04-11-2007, 08:51 AM
quote it for truth when it's inaccurate (splitting hairs here)

to sum it up ... HIIT burn GLYCOGEN stores, so that your body uses bodyfat for fuel post workout. Lowintensity burns through fat stores, with the problem of glycocen/carb stores being turned to fat later if not used as resources for the body.

This is exactly what the above poster said...

Good Lord.

niiick
04-11-2007, 09:07 AM
and you will burn mostly carbs during the actual excercise but continue to burn carbs and fat later.

to sum it up ... HIIT burn GLYCOGEN stores

im sorry, did you just try to correct me.

whtstang99
04-11-2007, 10:38 AM
I just do both..

seala8
04-11-2007, 11:39 AM
low intensity cardio means your Heart rate will be at about 60% which is fat burning.

High intensity cardio means your heart rate will be at about 80% which means your doing more cadriovascular work.

Both burn calories though. Low intensity you dont get out of breath and just up your heart rate. That is what i do.

Rootus
04-11-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure I buy into the idea of a long, slow, low intensity workout to burn fat. The percentage of calories from fat may be higher, but the total calories burned is so much lower that I'm not sure the math works out favorably. If I can burn say twice as many calories by stepping up the intensity, then even if the ratio of fat versus carb burned as fuel goes down, I have still burned more fat than I would at the lower intensity.

Or something like that.

skibbi9
04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
low intensity cardio means your Heart rate will be at about 60% which is fat burning.

High intensity cardio means your heart rate will be at about 80% which means your doing more cadriovascular work.

Both burn calories though. Low intensity you dont get out of breath and just up your heart rate. That is what i do.

but you're being short sited, calories are not only burned during the workout. In the article I linked:

the oxidation rate for fat is higher during Lower Intensity Cardio, but
something like 9x the fat is burned post work out with HIIT as compared to LI cardio.

either, both, w/e just make sure you do it.

jay.
04-12-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure I buy into the idea of a long, slow, low intensity workout to burn fat. The percentage of calories from fat may be higher, but the total calories burned is so much lower that I'm not sure the math works out favorably. If I can burn say twice as many calories by stepping up the intensity, then even if the ratio of fat versus carb burned as fuel goes down, I have still burned more fat than I would at the lower intensity.

Or something like that.read the articles posted. then you might understand.

Dave P
04-12-2007, 09:55 AM
"Worrying about how much fat is burned during cardio makes about as much sense as worrying how much muscle is built during weight training"

jtigga
04-12-2007, 10:20 AM
i like low intensity just cause it is easy. also there isnt much solid evidence suggesting that HIIT has a really strong post-workout fat afterburn. In fact weightlifting has a higher post-workout afterburn than HIIT.

so with HIIT ur basically doing a ton of work for little gain.