PDA

View Full Version : oatmeal before workout?

flexster
02-05-2004, 07:11 AM
I was doing some reading in here on pw shakes and it seems like everyone had a different opinion on low and hi GI carbs and what should be used, dextrose or oatmeal.

My question is, would it be wrong to eat the oatmeal before workout and just have a simply whey shake post workout?

sawastea
02-05-2004, 07:16 AM
Ideally, for me, I will eat oatmeal with a scoop of ptrotein powder before my workout. If I'm in a hurry, I'll add a little honey as well :p

Post workout I'll have an immediate shake that consists of whey, dextose/maltodextrin, oats and water. My first meal about an hour after my shake will be a lean protein, starchy low GI (http://diabetes.about.com/library/mendosagi/ngilists.htm) carb and a fibrous veggie :)

flexster
02-05-2004, 07:24 AM
It kinda makes sense if you eat oatmeal first so that the body does get into too bad of shape during the workout. I guess I will go with ON 100% with some dex and maybe some micro creatine.

flexster
02-05-2004, 07:31 AM
I think I will use some gatorade powder with unflavored whey, this should be get me some dex along with the whey.

naturalguy
02-05-2004, 08:38 AM
It depends on how soon after you are going to train. If it is more than an hour then oatmeal is good. If it is close than you want to go with a higher GI food.

Cogar
02-05-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by flexster
My question is, would it be wrong to eat the oatmeal before workout and just have a simply whey shake post workout?
It would not be wrong to eat oatmeal before working out. Just keep the quantity down (so you don't throw up if some is still not digested by the time you work out). The post workout shake should include carbs to replace muscle glycogen as well as whey to repair muscle (or at least start that process).

Skywalker
02-05-2004, 09:56 AM
I was thinking about taking 1/2 cup of oats about an hour b4 my 30 minute cardio session, how does that sound?

JMF

Cogar
02-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Skywalker
I was thinking about taking 1/2 cup of oats about an hour b4 my 30 minute cardio session, how does that sound?

JMF
As a guess, if you are doing cardio to burn fat rather than for the improvement in cardiovascular health, you should probably cut that in half to 1/4 cup (uncooked = 20g), and take it with 20g of protein. You can burn even more fat if you do cardio in a fasted state, although you risk losing some muscle mass when doing so.

Skywalker
02-05-2004, 01:25 PM
Cogar-

Right on the $. I do not think many folks on this board are doing cardio for the cardiovascular health benefits. Indeed, it may be secondary, but I think the primary benefit is to shed fat.

I agree with your reply. But, always oats pre-lifting, for life.

PURA VIDA