PDA

View Full Version : evening cardio nutrition?

keimx
02-03-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm currently 5'10", 175 lbs, approx 14% BF, trying to cut and maintain mass. Eating approx 2400 calories a day (slowly dropping to around 2000).

Have a five day split s/m/w/f/s for weights. Do 12 minutes of HIIT post-workout (unless it's leg day) on weight days.

Tuesday/thursday I do 21 minutes of HIIT, the problem is that I can't do it until 9 at night because of my class schedule. I've been trying to limit my carb intake after 5 pm instead eating protein and limited fat.

Question is --> What should i be eating pre- and post these cardio sessions to maximize fat burning and limit muscle loss?

alphava
02-04-2004, 02:11 AM
since your cutting and trying to maintain mass, dont do anything too drastic. Pre-workout take in some oatmeal and whey. post workout 50 grams dextrose with 30 grams whey. u can add some rolled oats to yur whey if u want. do a calorie deficit during the day and eat most of yur carbs around yur workouts to maintain mass

sawastea
02-04-2004, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by alphava
since your cutting and trying to maintain mass, dont do anything too drastic. Pre-workout take in some oatmeal and whey. post workout 50 grams dextrose with 30 grams whey. u can add some rolled oats to yur whey if u want. do a calorie deficit during the day and eat most of yur carbs around yur workouts to maintain mass

:)

Decent...

johnnyironboard
02-04-2004, 07:11 PM
I would stick with no carbs after 5 PM. Post workout I'd just take whey and some BCAA's. I would get fat if I ate carbs at 9PM and then went to bed.

alphava
02-04-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by johnnyironboard
I would stick with no carbs after 5 PM. Post workout I'd just take whey and some BCAA's. I would get fat if I ate carbs at 9PM and then went to bed.

I disagree with that. He said he wanted to lose weight while retaining muscle mass. So if he didnt take in carbs after 5pm, that would mean it would be at least 15 hrs before his next carb intake???? I dont think that would be a clean cut. He would end up losing muscle way too fast. Also, how is muscle supposed to be conserved if he gets no carbs after workout? Whey and BCCA's are not the be all end all of nutrition.

mimo
02-05-2004, 12:01 PM
i think this way of dieting( no carbs after 5pm) is complete BS!
if you dont want to lose your muscle,it is better to provide your body with a constant flow of nutrients throughout the day. of course your pre-bed meal will be low carbs but other than that.....

sawastea
02-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Though there is some truth to what Alpha and mimo are saying, unfortunately, everyone reacts differently to carbs. What should be done, if consuming carbs, is eat them according to their glycemic index (http://diabetes.about.com/library/mendosagi/ngilists.htm). If you eat carbs at night, try to avoid the high GI carbs that will spike your insulin, thus stopping the 'fat burning.' Instead of a "baked potato," eat a "yam," etc. My last meal of the day is strictly protein (casein) and Omega 3 fats (fish oil). I do not have a "cut-off" time, per se, but I do know what goes in my mouth, if that makes sense...So, there is some truth to eliminating carbs after so and so, but you need to eat smarter and cleaner to accomplish this (low instead of high GI) :D