PDA

View Full Version : Hernia

inb409
04-09-2007, 07:36 PM
So I visted my doc thursday because I had some slight pain in my groin and he told me I have a slight hernia and suggested that I see a general surgeon but now it feels a lot better and I have lifted 3 times since and it hasn't bothered me much I am about to start a new job next week that requires me to lift weight so my ? Is will it hurt to layoff on the surgery if I don't lift legs

dexterium
04-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Listen to your doctor and also try another doctor or two and see what they say.

Yes, don't use your legs at all for any lifting, they must heal.

Mycophage
04-10-2007, 07:22 AM
eh, i know a guy who lifts a lot, and has had a hernia for the past 16 months. i guess it pops out a few times a day, he has to take his finger and push it back in. other than that, no problems.

the only time a hernia is really a problem is when it gets strangled by the muscle, causing it to die. if you're like my buddy, and know when it happens, you can just push it back in and not have any problems. that said, listen to your body, if it feels like you're making it worse, stop!

joed
04-10-2007, 10:38 AM
INB, a hernia will not heal by itself, and a strangulated hernia is a medical emergency. If you had decay in a tooth, what would you do? (Strictly my opinion.)

euphoria1
04-10-2007, 10:42 AM
You can technically live with it. It will however progressively get worse and worse and will eventually affect your quality of life. I do know some people that refuse to get it fixed, but I also hear sex is painful because of it. They also need a special belt to hold it in place.

Bailaz
04-10-2007, 10:54 AM
I had a hernia op about 6 months ago, it never used to hurt me but after the op it takes a while to heal so you will b off from work a while. I was off for around 5-6 months and you cant do any lifting even when you go back to work for a further month or so.
If you choose not to have the op it will probs get worse tho.

oziem
04-10-2007, 05:37 PM
do lots of step work.
do not consider surgery until absolutely needed and if needed go only to Scholdeiss in Toronto area to do it.

Dr. o