PDA

View Full Version : Sharp pain in my tendon on my right arm ???

Slimsta Jimsta
04-09-2007, 07:31 PM
I went to lift today, and I was doing bench as my first exercise and I got this sharp pain on my 6th rep of just 155 pounds. It was, what I'm assuming, my tendon on the back of my forearm right past my elbow. I even put it down to 135 and tried again, and still got the sharp pain. I asked one of the personal trainers there and they told me to just take it easy and not do any lifting that required its use.

My questions.. how common is this to be happening? I'm only 19. Is there anything I can do to speed up the recovery so I can continue lifting? How long should I expect for it to get better? Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

dexterium
04-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Do not lift until you are 100% healed. I think that it may have something to do with your bench press technique. Get that personal trainer to make sure that it is okay.

As far as speeding recovery, I would suggest icing it a few times each day. If it is indeed a ligament/tendon tear, try USPLabs Super Cissus RX which has helped to heal ligaments and tendons. If you're not sure if it is a tear in your tendons or ligaments, go to a physiotherapist and explain the movement that actually gave you the pain.

Dex

Slimsta Jimsta
04-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Yea, the personal trainer mentioned that I may have been bringing the bar down too far on bench. My dad said it may be from curling, but I'm not too sure of how much he knows. It's weird though, it didn't bother me at all playing basketball for an hour and a half tonight.

I'll try the icing and see how that works for me, but it hasn't hurt at all except for when I was trying to lift and had a load on it and was pushing up. This really sucks though. What are the chances I'll be good to lift by Friday?

dexterium
04-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Man, I wouldn't chance it. A sharp pain is nothing to mess around with. I would wait at least a week with icing it. And just keep notice to the smallest detail of whether or not it feels weird/hurts.

Trust me, waiting will make you feel good because you're confident.

Now, as far as bench goes, do not bring the bar down to your chest; bring it down to only a few inches off the chest. Furthermore, do not flare your elbows out at your sides; keep them a bit tucked in.

As for curls, if they are giving you pain, I have heard that using the EZ curl bar makes it for a more natural lift and does not put any undue stress on your joints. (It is more natural, apparently).

johnkernstein
04-10-2007, 07:28 AM
i've had a similar problem, it helps if you stretch a little between each lifting set of bi's (twist your fore arms back forth)

euphoria1
04-10-2007, 10:17 AM
It is most likely due to muscle tension on the ligaments due to poor flexibility, improper range of motion. You could have poor wrist, thus forearm flexibility causing excess tension on the ligaments, joint capsule Or your grip is too wide causing your bicep to pull too much.

If the latter, change grip. If the former, try wrist/forearm stretches and soft tissue work (massage the areas, you will most likely feel tense areas of muscles where there shouldnt be)