PDA

View Full Version : insane DOMS after running

squat lover
04-09-2007, 06:15 PM
I did interval training today since the gym was closed. The first time I've ran in about 18 months... normally I just lift. Anyway now I have mad DOMS in my lower calves and also my abs!? I never normally get it even though I do lots of squats and deadlifts. I made sure to do lots of stretching after the running, but yeah its really intense.

How can I speed up recovering from this? Maybe have extra protein? Also why do I have it in my abs, its strange...

dexterium
04-09-2007, 06:30 PM
lifting your legs engages your lower abs.

For DOMS, just let it be; make sure to eat lots of protein and a BCAA supplement like XTEND will help with DOMS. Ice baths also help some people for sore muscles.

oldmanmarley
04-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Yeah a hiatus like that makes you realize what muscles are used in running. I'd try to do something (stationary biking, jogging) to get the blood flowing tomorrow morning, and definitely before you train your legs again. For me, the next morning is always the worst. I'd put my next running session about a week later. It shouldn't be nearly as bad.

rockhuddy
04-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Take a contrast shower. 2 minutes hot, 1 minute cold for 3+ cycles, finishing with cold. Excellent for decreasing recovery time.

dexterium
04-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Take a contrast shower. 2 minutes hot, 1 minute cold for 3+ cycles, finishing with cold. Excellent for decreasing recovery time.

I have also heard good things about this.

rockhuddy
04-09-2007, 07:17 PM
I have also heard good things about this.
I do it every time I shower, even if it's just one short blast of cold at the end. Feels awesome.