PDA

View Full Version : Exercise Induced Asthma

TheDiplomats
04-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Does anyone else here have exercise induced asthma? It really presents no problems to me when I lift weights or run in very warm weather, but when the temperature gets below 55, I start having some trouble with excess mucus as well as wheezing and shortness of breath. However, sometimes, I have trouble even in warm weather. I realize the best way to deal with this is to bring an inhaler (albuterol, etc) with you, but I was wondering if anyone else had some tips in running in cold weather or what not because the inhaler does not always help.

m6fntsy
04-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Are you on any other medications other than the rescue inhaler? I was having a similar problem that you describe and a couple of months ago, my doctor put me on Asmanex, a measured dose of inhaled powder through your mouth -- one puff per night. Ever since I started the Asmanex, I can't even remember the last time I needed my rescue inhaler for anything. You should really ask your doctor about it. It's fairly new -- I think they started advertising it last Fall.

I also take a daily Singulair tablet, but that mainly controls my year-round allergies/hayfever. I have not had a bonafide allergy attack in the 3 years or so that I've been taking Singulair. Singulair used to also help control my asthma, but my asthma condition got worse over the past year, hence, I was using my rescue inhaler more than I thought I should be, so I went to the doc and he put me on Asmanex. It has been wonderful for me!

TheDiplomats
04-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Are you on any other medications other than the rescue inhaler? I was having a similar problem that you describe and a couple of months ago, my doctor put me on Asmanex, a measured dose of inhaled powder through your mouth -- one puff per night. Ever since I started the Asmanex, I can't even remember the last time I needed my rescue inhaler for anything. You should really ask your doctor about it. It's fairly new -- I think they started advertising it last Fall.

I also take a daily Singulair tablet, but that mainly controls my year-round allergies/hayfever. I have not had a bonafide allergy attack in the 3 years or so that I've been taking Singulair. Singulair used to also help control my asthma, but my asthma condition got worse over the past year, hence, I was using my rescue inhaler more than I thought I should be, so I went to the doc and he put me on Asmanex. It has been wonderful for me!
I am not on any other meds besides Albuterol which I rarely use. I'm going to go to the doctor some time in the next couple of days and I'll ask him about it. Thank you for your helpful suggestion.

As for the tablets you take for allergies, I really don't have any problems with my asthma other then when I get into some intense cardio. I live in Georgia and the pollen levels have been insane here, but I haven't had much trouble really doing anything.

V1sual B1nary
04-10-2007, 04:22 PM
I found that starting the gym has basically got rid of my ashema, i had it quite bad before i started and now i barely use it. Do alot of cardio to get that heart rate up high then slowly it may get a little better.

oziem
04-10-2007, 05:28 PM
I have corrected dozens of these cases from eight year olds to college swimmers to the elderly. Do yourself a favor and look into chiropractic.
If you would like an explanation of how it works in this case please email me.

Exod
04-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Have you tried using your inhaler 15min before exercising to prevent it from occuring? Does it ever happen (shortness of breath) when you're not exercising or sleeping?

hotlatin916
04-24-2007, 03:00 AM
I have also found that when I started being more active and doing more cardio at the gym, my asthma rarely bothers me. Although every once in a while when it is really cold or hot outside, it will bother me. I found that if you are doing cardio and you try to control you breathing more, it helps from getting an attack. Also after you run, or if you feel shortness of breath, put your hands over your head like you are doing a sit up while you are sitting in the upright postion or standing up and breath.