PDA

View Full Version : lower back and legpresssssssssss

Gainwithfailure
04-09-2007, 02:43 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i finally got sick of doing six sets of squats on leg day and really got sick from it. So i decided to put the legpress into my program. So now i do 3squats then 3 leg press sets follow by a bunch of other fun stuff. Anyway my question is when i do legpress my legs come far back to side sides of my body and it raises my lower back off the seat a little. I cant really stop it unless i use hardly any range of motion. Is this bad for my lower back? ANd do you think it puts to much stress on it? Ive noticed my back has been more sore lately but not 100 percent if its from this. thanks for reading please send your thoughts or experience!

oziem
04-09-2007, 03:24 PM
It is potentially damaging. Any force pushing the spine into posterior flexion may cause injury.
Try putting a supportive cushion behind your lumbars (to keep your low back extended forward). If this is not an option, either don't go as deep on the eccentric or use other equipment/maneuvers if the motion is hurting your spine.

Dr. Oziem

peelowg2k
04-09-2007, 03:33 PM
trust i'm just recovering from a slight back strain injury, i'm bout 90 percent now, it took about a year for my back to really heal, because u do everything with your back, bending, sitting, stuff like that, word of advice to everyone, just make sure you do exercises to strenghen your lower back and be careful don't overdo it!!!! and if a exercise is hurting ur back change exercises there are probably 10 more that will give u similar results!!!!

Bushmaster
04-09-2007, 03:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway my question is when i do legpress my legs come far back to side sides of my body and it raises my lower back off the seat a little. Is this bad for my lower back?

Extremely!

I cant really stop it unless i use hardly any range of motion.

Back off the weight and experiment with different foot positions until you find one that works for you. Use an empty sled for fux sake - it shouldn't take but maybe one set of 10-15 reps until you find it. Seriously though dude, you need to keep that lower back PLASTERED to the seat!

TXScout2
04-09-2007, 04:49 PM
You might want to try putting your feet wider on the leg press, or using a different machine like a hack squat. The thing about the leg press is even in the starting position you are already in almost 90 degrees of hip flexion.

Although it could be a flexibility issue, it's also possible it has nothing to do with glute flexibility or hamstring flexibility. In squats people often say the same thing if you have trouble with your back rounding, and yet when you take a wider stance you can do deeper. How did the muscles suddenly become more flexible?

Realize that your femur only has a limited range of motion before it hits your acetabulem. There is no stretch for this - its just the end of the range of motion. The reason people can often squat deeper when they take a wider stance is because the acetabulem opens up more laterally than it does right in front of you.

So if you feel like your not getting enough range of motion you can either start from a position of less hip flexion (as in a hack squat) or you can use a wider stance to take advantage of how your hip joint opens up more that way. Or just live with the range of motion on the leg press and load it up.

Bushmaster
04-09-2007, 04:57 PM
The thing about the leg press is even in the starting position you are already in almost 90 degrees of hip flexion.

Not if the seat reclines.

TXScout2
04-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Seat may recline to 110 or 120, same difference, same problem. That's why I said "almost 90 degrees." Should have said "close to 90 degrees."

Gainwithfailure
04-10-2007, 12:11 AM
thanks very much everyone very helpful. ill try going wider. and if that dosent take care of it ill just use the hack.