PDA

View Full Version : My shoulder pops when I do bench presses

irideflatland
04-09-2007, 12:28 PM
I just recently started lifting again, and today I noticed that every time I would bring the bar to my chest on bench presses, my right shoulder would make a popping noise. It didn't hurt, but it just doesn't seem like it should happen.
Also if I do those arm circle things, like you are pitching a softball, my shoulder cracks almost every circle.

The only thing I can think of is that I pitched in Little League and I heard that some kids throw out their arm or whatever if they pitch the wrong way. But I only did Little League, not high school baseball, and most of the time I only pitched the last few innings.

So any ideas on what it could be and do you think it is serious or should I ignore it?

dexterium
04-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Do not bring the bar down on your chest, this puts too much stress on your rotator cuff. You may have heard all your life that bringing the bar down to your chest is the 'tough' way to do it but it is the dangerous way to do it too. A few inches from your chest man. Make sure that your elbows aren't flared out either; they should be slightly tucked.

mike8190
04-09-2007, 04:06 PM
A similar thing happens to me...except not when I bench. When I military press, do upright rows, and powercleans, my right shoulder makes a crunching noise. It doesnt hurt me at all, but it definately shouldn't be happening lol.

nikeair91
04-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Happens to me when I don't stretch before lifting, happens in the shoulder and elbows for me.

TheDiplomats
04-09-2007, 05:23 PM
That happened to me on Bench Pressing and it didn't hurt at first, but my right shoulder became considerably weaker after a while. I recommend changing your bench form to take some pressure off your rotator cuff or to take a week off of benching. What eventually fixed it for me was a week away from weight lifting while I was on vacation and a change in form. When I got back, I didn't touch my chest with the bar anymore and I haven't had any problems with it since then.

Wasem
04-13-2007, 07:07 AM
A similar thing happens to me...except not when I bench. When I military press, do upright rows, and powercleans, my right shoulder makes a crunching noise. It doesnt hurt me at all, but it definately shouldn't be happening lol.

I have a similar problem. Everytime I bring my hands level to my shoulders, I get a "pop" in my shoulder (both of them) Is this from them not being strong enough since I've just started to lift or is it a more serious problem?

exnihillo
04-13-2007, 07:17 AM

I have a similar problem. Everytime I bring my hands level to my shoulders, I get a "pop" in my shoulder (both of them) Is this from them not being strong enough since I've just started to lift or is it a more serious problem?

I have the same thing happening..The only time it hapens during bench is when i am doing incline..It kind of sounds like a knuckle cracking..

zoran007
04-13-2007, 08:26 AM
I have the same problem... but not just in my shoulder, I have it everywhere, (knees,wrists,legs,neck,shoulders).. I am using glucosamine and I hope it will stop poping.. It doesn't hurt but I don't think it should pop..

HALON
04-14-2007, 07:32 AM
Looks like not warming up and poor shoulder flexibility. This is whats called being muscle bound.
I once had this problem before, this was cause of not warming up before any exercise, not going through range of motion exercises and not stretching.
Before doing bench, try doing some more fucntional exercises such as push ups and punching bag for cardio this can help loosen up the shoulder.
I take a look at it this way the majority of your workout should be warming up, and range of motion exercises, functional exercises.

thebadguy
04-14-2007, 07:50 AM
whatever you do, don't ignore it. i ignored it and now ive got a dislocated shoulder and haven't gone to the gym in 6 weeks because of it.

dumac
04-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Do not bring the bar down on your chest, this puts too much stress on your rotator cuff. You may have heard all your life that bringing the bar down to your chest is the 'tough' way to do it but it is the dangerous way to do it too. A few inches from your chest man. Make sure that your elbows aren't flared out either; they should be slightly tucked.

Thats true. 2 inches to your chest should be fine.

keg_daddy
04-15-2007, 12:06 AM
'Tuck' your shoulders and squeeze your shoulder blades together when bench pressing. Your shoulder popping will most likely leave.

It's hard to explain the 'tucking' part. Everyone I talk to says they do that but I have only seen about 5 people in my entire life 'tuck' their shoulders when bench pressing (in the gym).

It will be INCREDIBLY tough to lift heavy weight at first. There will be a big stretch in your pecs also. But you should not feel a thing in your shoulders. If you do feel something in your shoulders while 'tucking' I'd go to a doctor.

bchainsaw
04-15-2007, 12:12 AM
i had the same problem. it worked itself out over the years. it would be really loud when i would do pull-ups. i remember in gym class in high school having to do a pull-up test in front of the whole class.. my shoulder popped every time i did a rep and i could hear the whole room cringe each rep.

I just recently started lifting again, and today I noticed that every time I would bring the bar to my chest on bench presses, my right shoulder would make a popping noise. It didn't hurt, but it just doesn't seem like it should happen.
Also if I do those arm circle things, like you are pitching a softball, my shoulder cracks almost every circle.

The only thing I can think of is that I pitched in Little League and I heard that some kids throw out their arm or whatever if they pitch the wrong way. But I only did Little League, not high school baseball, and most of the time I only pitched the last few innings.

So any ideas on what it could be and do you think it is serious or should I ignore it?

mike8190
04-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Now that I feel where the crunching comes from its by my collar bone, feels like my shoulder until I feel it with my other hand. just happens on pressing excercises, not bench though, mostly cleans, military press,and a few others.

PeteB
04-16-2007, 02:52 PM
If you are under about 25, clicking and popping in the shoulder on pressing moves is NOT good news. At 35+ this is pretty common because the joint is showing its age.

The sound is basically two things rubbing and snapping past each other that should make no contact, or just move smoothly past one another in the joint. Two tendons, a tendon and cartilage, or cartilage and bone.

You can't fix the problem by changing the style of the lift, only avoid the sound, and delay the onset of tendonnitis.

See related link in the over 35 forum:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2283491

Also see articles on how the shoulder works, rotator cuff exercises like internal and external rotation and other stabilizing muscles and stretching exercises on bb.com. (btw, I never did those exercises when I was 20, I just hit the bench or the rack as hard as I could. By 25 I had torn ligaments in both knees, by 35 my second rotator cuff injury. No lifting or tennis for 18 months that second time.)

The funny part about the rotator cuff is that sometimes you can screw it up and feel no pain. Other times it can hurt so much you all but pass out.

If you need another reason for doing rotator cuff work with tiny weights, it usually helps put a few lbs on your bench, because the r/c muscles help keep the shoulder joint tight and in its proper place. A weak rotator cuff allows the shoulder to sag or squish out to the side on a press, and you can easily lose 5-15% of the weight the big muscles are capable of moving.

Squeezing the shoulder blades together as posted above is excellent advice, because it also helps the shoulder to start the pressing move in a better position, but it does not actually fix a weak rotator cuff by itself.

Fleshka
04-16-2007, 03:05 PM
if it is popping that is bad.

avoid doing this exercise.

elongation
04-16-2007, 03:42 PM
I would head to a chiropractor or kinesiologist man. That happened to me with my left shoulder and even after a went easy on it for a while it was still there. So I got some massage therapy (the GF) and went back to my chiro a bit more often. see if it helps.

www.sportskool.com

NotAOneTrikPony
03-06-2013, 05:03 PM
I had the same problem and fixed it in a matter of minutes. The problem is when your benching your arms are making a 90degree angle putting all the pressure on your shoulders and drastically decreasing your bench. To fix this widen your grip,bring the bar farther out and touch it to your top abs or to the end of your sternum. Also make a correction and pull your elbows in slightly the motion is like ridding a beach cruiser kind of. When you have done all of these things you will feel pressure more in your pecs and lats rather than your shoulders. That's why they are popping most people do this exercise completely wrong and eventually ruin their shoulders. If you want a visual perspective look up smittydiesel how to bench press on YouTube. This fixed my popping shoulder and don't forget to stretch. Hope this helps and good luck!

magic15
03-06-2013, 05:45 PM
vid :

I just posted this in another thread, anyway here it is again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLU-urDI_Oc

Oscar562baez
03-06-2013, 11:38 PM
I have the same thing if u realky care about working out stop benching for a month and change ur form or just do other chest work outs... I cant even do shoulder workouts so be careful

dcayed1
01-10-2014, 05:50 PM
I have the same problem. But with mine its in my left shoulder and sometimes its so bad that my spotter has to step in because I can no longer bring the bar back up after the popping.

dcayed1
01-10-2014, 05:52 PM
I have the same problem. But with mine its in my left shoulder and sometimes its so bad that my spotter has to step in because I can no longer bring the bar back up after the popping.

I forgot to ask what other workouts could I do in place of bench?

RustyPipes
01-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Try dumbbell presses. I have two bad shoulders and haven't used a bar in years. Also cable incline presses can work. these types of exercises free up the natural pattern of your shoulder movement, whereas a straight bar forces the issue.

atshah8
03-10-2015, 01:47 AM

Ive also had the same problem. After bringing the bar to my chest for a couple reps my right shoulder would make a snapping sound and it would also pain me of a few days after. This would restrict my regular shoulder movement as much as i would not able to steer my car.
Recently i have started using dumbbells while bench pressing instead of the rod i would use earlier. I don't bring the dumbbells to close to my chest and keep my elbows tucked in a little bit. Its been twice since i have worked my chest and the snapping has stopped.
Does anyone think i should seek professional help? go to an ortho or something?

VanIslander
07-18-2016, 08:55 PM
Haven't benched in almost a year due to the same issue, rotator cuff popping. Just tried this solution and it worked great, thanks I can bench again!