PDA

View Full Version : bad miniscus?

phillepe
04-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Anyne had a bad miniscus? I'm pretty sure i have a torn miniscus, and I was losing alot of weight. I'm about 15 pounds away from my goal of 205. I was doing alot of running and now I can barely walk. Is there anyone who has had the same experience? And what did ya'll do to continue losing weight? Any help is appreicated.

phillepe
04-13-2007, 07:03 AM
anyone?

Jerze rat
04-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Hey man i feel your pain. literally. I lost about 70lbs and when i run i get to the point were i can't put weight on it or ill fall. What works for me is just lifting lower weights more reps and fewer rest periods. If you keep your heart rate up you should be doing about as much cardio as a slow run. Its worked for me hope it does for you.

GHenry87
04-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Anyne had a bad miniscus? I'm pretty sure i have a torn miniscus, and I was losing alot of weight. I'm about 15 pounds away from my goal of 205. I was doing alot of running and now I can barely walk. Is there anyone who has had the same experience? And what did ya'll do to continue losing weight? Any help is appreicated.

I just went to the doctor yesterday and I was told that i have strained ligaments and a slipped miniscus. Doc said that I can't do ANYTHING (weights or cardio) for two weeks. Have you been to the doc yet?

phillepe
04-16-2007, 06:24 AM
I am about to go to the Doc, here in 15 minutes. I hope its good news, I still can't run. Oh and yeah I have been to the Dr's office once and he gave me crutches because I couldn't put any weight on my left leg. I know this is more than just leg pain from running too much. when it happened I knew something was wrong. I actually wasn't doing any athletic activity when I hurt it, just stepped wrong and boom, instant pain.

sixzebra
04-16-2007, 06:29 AM
i just recovered from a meniscus injury. not tear though, thank goodness. It took about 6 weeks of no running or cardio of anykind and physical therapy to "heal". I still have a problem with pain doing certain things - SQUATTING being one of them. so no more squatting, at least for awhile. Good luck, hopefully its not torn.

El Torofuerte
04-16-2007, 10:07 PM
I had a menicus tear and took me 1 full year to just get back into working out shape. All i used to feel was a dull pain in the back of the knee. If you have any access to pool that will help alot. Good luck to you.

diablo_gt
04-17-2007, 04:52 AM
I have a messed up meniscus and ligaments, the doctor told me no sports at all for 3 months. What i do is, I don?t do anything with my legs but I do workout my upper body with push-ups, pull-ups, abs and some boxing on the heavy bag. The problem is that I became sooo lazy after the initial rest period, now is all up to me since i haven?t been meeting my goals so i better start now son

Mae
04-17-2007, 06:23 AM
i had torn my, had surgery on it. almost no cartilage in there now. I pushed it going back to the gym (within 3 months for legs.. within 2 weeks for upper body).. everything seems ok, it does get sore, still. I just back off of legs now when it does. It sucks, but I dont want to end up hurting it worse, consider I'm almost guarenteed to get arthritis down the road.

goodluck.

phillepe
04-27-2007, 07:55 AM
so heres a quick update..... I went to the Dr.'s office, she looked at my knee and told me that I have a possible torn ACL, which cuased my knee to shift, which in turn, my miniscus wasn't in the right position, causing me to stress or slightly tear the miniscus. So I have been going to the physical therapy twice a week. I actually feel pretty good today. I feel like in another week, I could start running again. I hope soo! Biggest thing is when you hurt your knee, do the excerises that you PT tells you to do and take it easy. Don't over do it. I hope to be 100% here in a month.

trivium9
04-27-2007, 08:34 AM
I had a miniscus tear when I was 16. It felt like a bee sting inside my knee. I had surgery to fix it, got staph infection and didn't walk for 8 damn months. It was the worst experience you could imagine.

Hopefully you will not have to have surgery. Typically the ACL and miniscus are related injuries. Like you said listen to the PT and do not push your self back to early. Hope all goes well from here on out

M4A1 Widowmaker
04-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Mine is torn right now. Has been for roughly the past 4 years. During a lax game, somebody dove at the side of my knee while I was cutting. ACL and MCL torn. Meniscus tear was small at first and has gotten worse and worse as the years have gone on.

Played on it for 3 1/2 years but couldn't play this spring...too much pain. Been lifting a lot...squats/deads/cleans and running. Lots of painkillers help. Usually about a half handful at a time two or three times a day depending on the day.

trivium9
04-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Mine is torn right now. Has been for roughly the past 4 years. During a lax game, somebody dove at the side of my knee while I was cutting. ACL and MCL torn. Meniscus tear was small at first and has gotten worse and worse as the years have gone on.

Played on it for 3 1/2 years but couldn't play this spring...too much pain. Been lifting a lot...squats/deads/cleans and running. Lots of painkillers help. Usually about a half handful at a time two or three times a day depending on the day.

Have you gotten anything repaired. With a torn ACL MCL it would be very hard to run and cut.

M4A1 Widowmaker
04-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Have you gotten anything repaired. With a torn ACL MCL it would be very hard to run and cut.

Yeah, ACL and MCL were rebuilt but, somehow, they didn't realize the meniscus was torn...I guess because it was such a small tear. OS told me he would do it for free since he missed it the first time cuz he feels so bad but I'm not ready to take that kind of time off from lacrosse and lifting. He said at this point, it's not likely it can get much worse so to wear a sleeve underneath my hinged wraparound whenever I do anything where there's stress on it. I only do it when I run and cut tho.

Pain is weakness leaving the body, after all.

phillepe
04-28-2007, 02:58 AM
yeah, it feels alot better lately. But it has only been about a month. The Dr. said NO basketball, or any cutting(quick turning) sports until I have reconstruction surgery. But I can run on treadmills and even surfaces. The elipitcal machince is also reccomended for cardio. But I hate that thing. Right now I'm building the quad in my left leg, to catch up to the strength in my right. My left leg quad is ALOT smaller then my right leg, and the doc said I need to build it up to take stress off the knee. I hope this all works out! I have about 20 more pounds to lose in three months!

1bigtexan
04-28-2007, 12:10 PM
I had surgery on April 5th and I had it removed. The doctor told me that I needed to stay off of it using crutches for 3 weeks. I stopped the crutches in about 1 1/2 weeks. He took the stitches out 2 weeks ago and everything seems to be going okay. He said that I should be out for another month and a half before I can play softball again.