PDA

View Full Version : SLEEP!! Lack of.

Zack7
04-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Hey guys. Just wondering what affect sleep deprivation has on building muscle? I read somewhere that it doesn?t really matter whether you are sleeping as long as your body is lying still and you are not using your muscles.

The reason I?m asking is because the last few weeks I?ve started to get really bad insomnia and its really pissing me off and when it comes to my workouts -I?m more tired and am getting through them a lot slower than I used to and just generally feel sluggish.

I do just lie in bed until I get up (8 hours), but still ? any suggestions on what I can do? Or if just lying in bed is still good enough for my body to build muscle while I try and get the insomnia sorted?

sixzebra
04-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Insomnia sucks, i know, i've suffered from it for years. did you change something recently, like workout intensity or diet? It know those two things will wreak havoc on my sleep schedule to the point even my prescription won't help.

seala8
04-08-2007, 08:08 PM
well, muscle building and repair occur during REM, forgot waht the acronoym(sp) means. Sleeping more than 8 hours a night has catabolic effects. Its kinda confusing.

Sleep= REM=muscle building
Sleep >8=promoting catabolism
that means after about 7.5 hrs of sleep get up and eat something then go back to sleep

RussianRocket4
04-08-2007, 08:12 PM
REM= rapid eye movement

Zack7
04-08-2007, 08:34 PM
I've had insomnia for about a year on and off, but in recent weeks its got really bad and I only manage to get about 3 hours sleep but even that is interrupted - the next 5 hours I'm just lying there trying to get back to sleep again whilst my heart beats fast and I get really pissed off. Then mid-day at work I'll feel really tired and could sleep forever - I get home and when its time to hit the sack I'll go to sleep easily but then wake up after 2 or 3 hours again and it all starts again... it sucks coz no matter how tired I am when I'm lying there, I just cant sleep.

When I'm working out my 45/55 mins workout now lasts around 95 or more mins and I'm yawning in between sets.

PhoenixBuff
04-08-2007, 08:41 PM
I've never slept - 3-4 hours is all I get each night, even weekends and I'm kind of used to it now. I think my time in Submarines did that, sucks but there's nothing I can do about it.

sixzebra
04-09-2007, 06:04 AM
Reference my earlier post, i was getting ready for a show and the stress severely intereferred with my sleep. It brought my contest prep to a screeching halt! My weight loss stalled - quit, and I started losing muscle.
in other words, all was fine until I started losing sleep then all progress was stopped in its tracks. That sucked!

seancraig
04-09-2007, 07:35 AM
yo, i had sleeping problems for a while like no matter what i did i couldnt sleep (maybe i eventually got like 2-3) hrs sleep a night, i honestly believe that 8 hours sleep really isn't critical when it comes too building muscle as i made great gains durring this time, aslong as your training hard and getting the proper nutrients down it will be ok..