PDA

View Full Version : chest soreness question

galore
04-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Hello everyone, I am not a body builder by any means but I have a question pertaining to weight lifting.

When I was in highschool, like 6 years ago I injured my pec muscle when doing chest flies. I didn't feel it when it happened but the next day it was really painful. I am not sure if it was a small tear or pulled muscle.

I have just started getting back into weightlifting and I have noticed that the peck where I had the previous injury gets way more sore than the other pec. The spot is on the side of the pec near the armpit.

It hasn't gotten out of control or really painful or anything.

Has anyone experienced this at all? Any thoughts on what I should do about it?

Thanks in advance for anything that you can tell me!

dexterium
04-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Take it nice and slow; don't try any heavy weights, you have to rehab it. High reps, nice and controlled, in my opinion.

cougarfootball2
04-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Hello everyone, I am not a body builder by any means but I have a question pertaining to weight lifting.

When I was in highschool, like 6 years ago I injured my pec muscle when doing chest flies. I didn't feel it when it happened but the next day it was really painful. I am not sure if it was a small tear or pulled muscle.

I have just started getting back into weightlifting and I have noticed that the peck where I had the previous injury gets way more sore than the other pec. The spot is on the side of the pec near the armpit.

It hasn't gotten out of control or really painful or anything.

Has anyone experienced this at all? Any thoughts on what I should do about it?

Thanks in advance for anything that you can tell me!

I partially tore my left pec 2 years ago doing flat bench.. to this day, my left pec will be alot sorer after a workout compared to my right one, somedays I have to skip workouts, somedays i can lift anything.. but take it very slow, maybe try using some wet heat on it a few times a day, super cissus does wonders for me also, and make sure you warm up .. hope this helps

stealth_swimmer
04-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Take it nice and slow; don't try any heavy weights, you have to rehab it. High reps, nice and controlled, in my opinion.

same here. It's really easy to strain the pec especially near the armpit. Just take it easy with the 12-15 rep range and focus on control. Especially control the negative part of the lift. From personal experience, if my chest is really sore when I work out then I lighten up a little and do high reps cus there have been a few times when I strained my pec by going heavy on those days. Especially be careful with flyes and flat presses.

galore
04-08-2007, 04:27 PM
wow, thanks for such quick reply's!

I guess that for now I will just keep the weights light and do high reps, really focusing on form. If I do this then I bet I can avoid further injuring the area.

galore
04-08-2007, 10:44 PM
It is great to hear other people's experiences with this.... I thought it was just me. It is encouraging to hear that other people have had this problem but were still able to work out.