PDA

View Full Version : Pinched nerver and atrophy

kmatt42
01-28-2004, 08:42 AM
Looking for comments or similar story(with happy ending i hope).
On December 22, 2003 while doing my final set of flat bench ane then there was a click in my back and my right arm went numb (I was on a BowFlex so no bar to fall on my head). Sever pain shooting down my right arm, shoulder and pec. Went to my Chiro, pinched nerve (F%#K). I have seen him 3 days a week ever since. I am 90% pain free but I still have limited coordination and strength, and worst of all yesturday I finnaly noticed atrophy in my shoulder, tri and a lot in my chest. There is acually a dent in my right pec. I have called my GP (need him for any referals) and made an appointment, for what I am not yet sure.
It has been 5 weeks and 2 days. Should there be that much atrophy? Anyone ever have this?
I will be seeing my Chiro tonight and talk with him, but right now I am freaking out.

Thanks
Ken

batteryrequired
01-28-2004, 08:51 AM
Dont panic until you know what all is going on. Hopefully all will be ok soon...hang in there.

kmatt42
01-28-2004, 09:01 AM
This whole thing sucks. I was in so much pain to start I lost my appitite and when I did force myself to eat I felt sick to my stomac. I lost 10lbs the first 2 weeks. I was looking to see if atrophy is normal in pinched nervers or what. 6 weeks ago i felt 38 years YOUNG, today it's 38 years OLD. I have learned so much from all you guys and gals over my time lurking it is very disapionting with a couple of month setback and tissue loss.....
And the Red Wings are in a slump........

Ken

batteryrequired
01-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by kmatt42

And the Red Wings are in a slump........

Oh man...this is serious now....lol

fitnessman
01-28-2004, 10:10 AM
Took me a year and a half to recover from mine. If the doc starts talking surgery...RUN! That is a last resort.

Get an MRI ASAP and see to what extent the damage is.

A nerve is "Pinched" when a disk bulges out and applies pressure to nerve. It nor really Pinched per say.

Yes atrophy is common. But muscle has memory and it will rebound quickly.

Lighter weight and more reps when you get back to the gym for a good while. Focus on forum and contracting the muscles rather than the weight. DO NOT PUSH IT!! I did and reinjured my neck.

It will take time, how much who knows. Depending on how bad it is. But it can be over come..Trust me...I KNOW!

Oh... And start taking Glucosamine/Chondrotian ASAP!

kmatt42
01-28-2004, 10:34 AM
Thanks fitnessman.
Not happy to hear a year and a half but happy to hear there is hope.
I will take it slow. This is the worst thing that I have ever had. I have broken my arm and leg and nose 4 time, many stiches (42 stiches in my cheek from a hockey incident), but I know I would get over it. This is just sooooo debilitating.
so you recommend Glucosamine/Chondrotian, this is for joints? I do the 2 Tbs of flax every night, would that do the same? or is Glucosamine/Chondrotian to rebuild cartalage? I will research and possible start tonight.

Thanks again for the reply, always soothing to here your not alone and there is hope.

Ken

ps my wife thinks I am crazy for asking, what is you thought on light weight now, as long as there is no sharp pain?

fitnessman
01-28-2004, 10:46 AM
The first step is to get an MRI and see the level of the injury. I would wait with the weights at least until then. That way you can judge for yourself when to ease back into it.

It would be best to start back after pain is 90%ish gone..Again EASE back into it. I did not and reinjured myself again.

Again, A nerve just dont "pinch". A disk is pushing against it.

Stay away from the meds the doc will give you. All those anti inflamatory meds are crap. Some pain meds might be in order.

I swear by Glucosamine/chondrotian. Give it 30 days. It takes that long to build up in the system. Great for overall joint health and really inexpensive. I pay 14 bucks for a 45 day supply.

I am back now from my injury. By the end of the year I am in hopes of being 225 @ 12% BF.

fitnessman
01-28-2004, 10:47 AM
The the reason it took me a year and a half is because of my own stupidity!

When you think you are better...Lighten on on weights again and work on form.

Veinpopper
01-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Ken, I'm not an expert on rehab but if I were you I wouldn't go near a weight until an expert OK'd it. I would stick to moderate cardio for a while. Get the circulation going so repair could take place. Maybe even a jacuzzi if thats good for it. But I'm no doc.

I take a powder that I found at Costco that goes into a shake or even mixed with water and some flavored protein powder. It is called Joint Free Plus by Schiff. It has Collagen, Glucoamine, Chondroitin and MSM. I also take two fish oil caps per day. When I started lifting, I had much trouble and injuries with my knees but thanks to this supplement, they are much better now with less creaks and pops.

You could read more about this supplement here (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/glucos.html).

kmatt42
01-28-2004, 12:05 PM
I have my appointment with my primary care PH (need his referal).
I will continue to see the chiro (he is also a power lifter - makes you think twice when he is about to crack ya...)
I will get some Glucosamine/Chondrotian tonight.
I have been doing the treadmill since it happened.
I will wait until I get an OK to start LIGHT weights and go slow.
I DO NOT WANT THIS TO REOCCUR.
I hope to stick to this, I can hear the bench calling me from the basement.....

I appreciate the support.

Veinpopper
01-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Sounds good. :) Let us know how it goes.

Mataz
01-28-2004, 03:33 PM
IMO, you should consider getting rid of the bowflex. I think the bench, shoulder press, puts you in an awkward position. (weight being pulled DOWN and to the BACK above the shoulder)

fitnessman
01-29-2004, 04:12 AM
Good point on the bow flex.

kmatt42
01-29-2004, 05:20 AM
I am torn between the 2 (bowflex vs free weights). I have tried a few times the last 10 years or so to stay consistant with a gym but family needs get in the way. I have a nice bench (with leg ext/curl, Hi/Low pully, square steal not tubeular), that is in storage. I bought the BowFlex when I was in my much smaller house - big space issue. I have always felt (until now) much safer on the bow flex. It has worked great for GVT. But now that I do have space in my newer house I have thought alot about getting back the free weights. I quess I could always use both.
Well I do have some time to re-think my new training phase. But for the (hopefully) soon to come rehab phase I think the Bowflex might be the best and then phase back into free weights.

Again thanks for you thoughts and concerns, I do feel much better today about getting through this.

ps. Hey fitnessman, I thought I read somewhere you play Ice Hockey? Are you still mixing it up? Not quite the same but I play roller hockey on a 18 and over competative league, always fun to show the kids a thing or two.....

fitnessman
01-29-2004, 05:51 AM
Nope, no ice hockey for me....Those guys are NUTS>>LOL!

kmatt42
01-29-2004, 07:24 AM
I am torn between the 2 (bowflex vs free weights). I have tried a few times the last 10 years or so to stay consistant with a gym but family needs get in the way. I have a nice bench (with leg ext/curl, Hi/Low pully, square steal not tubeular), that is in storage. I bought the BowFlex when I was in my much smaller house - big space issue. I have always felt (until now) much safer on the bow flex. It has worked great for GVT. But now that I do have space in my newer house I have thought alot about getting back the free weights. I quess I could always use both.
Well I do have some time to re-think my new training phase. But for the (hopefully) soon to come rehab phase I think the Bowflex might be the best and then phase back into free weights.

Again thanks for you thoughts and concerns, I do feel much better today about getting through this.

goatscrot
01-30-2004, 09:36 AM
You should see a neurologist and likely get an MRI (maybe even a nerve conduction study). The typical "pinched nerve" doesn't cause significant muscle atrophy, unless you've just been in too much pain to workout. Even if that's the case, it would be extremely odd to have asymmetric atrophy unless you're just lifting the hell out of your good side and doing nothing with the other.

Regarding the below statement:

Stay away from the meds the doc will give you. All those anti inflamatory meds are crap. Some pain meds might be in order.

I would respectfully disagree. I herniated a disk a few years back due to my own bad form at the time on the incline bench. I took lortab, etc. like candy and got nothing but drowsy. Good old over-the-counter ibuprofen 800 mg 3x/day got me through it. Best of luck to you.

fitnessman
01-30-2004, 09:58 AM
I didnt say stay away from OTC. The meds they give you by perscription are liver killers!!!

fitnessman
01-30-2004, 10:19 AM
http://www.mercola.com/2002/may/1/celebrex_vioxx.htm

Vioxx was one they put me on as well.

kmatt42
01-30-2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks goatscrot

I have an appointment with my primary care physician on 2/14. need his referal for a neurologist. I have been taking 400mg 3xday and it has helped. For some reason I feel better today then I have in 5 weeks.....
I have not worked out since it happened, just tredmill 4 times a week. There is visable difference between my right and left pec and shoulder caps. THe entire right pec is smaller and it is now concave. When I flex my right pec the upper and lower pec would flex, not the middle. it is very weird. If I still feel good tomorrow I will try a very light circuit and see how it goes.
It is a B*tch getting old.

goatscrot
01-30-2004, 01:19 PM
The meds they give you by perscription are liver killers!!! Actually the far majority of true anti-inflammatories (prescription or otherwise) are metabolized through the kidney, not the liver.

But anyway kmatt, glad you're feeling better. keep us updated and don't rush back into anything until you get this thing figured out.

Crux
01-30-2004, 05:06 PM
Just get a cage with spotter bars and a lat/row attachment.
They take up about the same space as a Bowflex with all the attachments.

I picked up a Natiulus cage/lat/row for 500 bucks.

http://www.nautilusfitnessproducts.com/images/NT1200.jpg

http://www.nautilusfitnessproducts.com/product.asp?cat=fwb&subcat=cg

Also get a nice bench with thigh press and hamstring attachment - which adds to the versatility.

Check to make sure your bowflex isn't one of the many being recalled either....

Most Muscular
01-31-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by goatscrot
You should see a neurologist and likely get an MRI (maybe even a nerve conduction study). The typical "pinched nerve" doesn't cause significant muscle atrophy, unless you've just been in too much pain to workout. Even if that's the case, it would be extremely odd to have asymmetric atrophy unless you're just lifting the hell out of your good side and doing nothing with the other.

Regarding the below statement:

I would respectfully disagree. I herniated a disk a few years back due to my own bad form at the time on the incline bench. I took lortab, etc. like candy and got nothing but drowsy. Good old over-the-counter ibuprofen 800 mg 3x/day got me through it. Best of luck to you.

I beg to differ... a pinched nerve can indeed cause atrophy if the nerve is pinched enough that it does not send signals to the muscle to "work". Without working the muscle turns to mush and shrinks... trust me, I know from experience.

Another thing is that anti-inflamatory meds stop inflamation... but inflamation is your body's way of healing. I had a cortisone shot to relieve the pain in my neck from a pinched nerve and while it relieved the pain it also stopped the healing process considerably.

I finally had neck surgery last November after suffering through several relapses of the injury... hopefully I am now on the way back and hoping that my tricep and left pec will recover from the injury and grow again... that is if the nerve will grow back... no gaurantee on that happenig but a lot better odds then before.

goatscrot
01-31-2004, 01:12 PM
a pinched nerve can indeed cause atrophy if the nerve is pinched enough that it does not send signals to the muscle to "work". Without working the muscle turns to mush and shrinks... Actually, I agree with you. It's just a matter of semantics. What I meant (and probably didn't clearly say) is that the "routine" pinched nerve doesn't typically cause atrophy, with typically being the key word. When significant muscle atrophy is occuring, you're almost certainly farther down the injury spectrum into a herniated disk with the possibility of permanent nerve damage.....and this shouldn't be dismissed as a minor problem.

inflamation is your body's way of healing. I had a cortisone shot to relieve the pain in my neck from a pinched nerve and while it relieved the pain it also stopped the healing process considerablyThis is true to the extent that local administration of anti-inflammatories (specifically corticosteroid injections) can provide pain relief, but decrease healing time because they're administered directly into the affected tissue. However, routine oral anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs or COX-2 inhibitors like celebrex/bextra) don't have much effect at all to overall healing time. That's why NSAIDs continue to be first line of therapy to people with disk hernations with pain being the only associated complaint.

Veinpopper
01-31-2004, 04:18 PM
The last time I took a cycle of NSAID, I noticed allergic reactions - inflamation in gums, throat and sinus. Someone told me to stick with Naprosen.

goatscrot
02-01-2004, 04:58 AM
Naprosyn/Naproxen is actually a medicine in the NSAID family. Without question, you can have allergic reactions to some of these, just like any other medication. Fortunately, a reaction to one doesn't necessarily mean you'll be allergic to all in the class.

Veinpopper
02-01-2004, 09:06 AM
Thats good because the ibuprofen gives me hives attacks, located in the throat. no picnic.

kmatt42
02-03-2004, 05:49 AM
OK, here is an update.
Last wend night I bought Glucosamine/Chondrotian and started with 3/day. Made sure to take my 2TBS Flax at night. Still seeing Chiro 3xweek.
Compaired to where I was I felt great this weekend. No sharp pain, just dull aches in my shoulder, tri, elbow and forearm and minor timgling in the fingers. I did a very light full body on Sunday ( when I hurt myself I was benching 200lb x10, sunday was 60lb 2x15) I will do this for a couple more weeks and then switch back to a 3 day split. I will not increase the weight until I feel totally comfortable with it and evolve to a GVT style for awhile. I feel like I am finnaly moving forward and will take it slow so not to fall back. I still have my Primary care Physicial on 2/14 and will see if he will refer a neurologist. Don't want to take any chance it might be worse then I think.
Thanks to all you guys for support while I freaked out.

Ken

kmatt42
02-04-2004, 05:06 AM
I am still seeing an improvement. I need to be carefull to take it slow. DO NOT want to go backward. Did another full body workout today. Bench was again 60LB 2x15 but felt light and very stable (stabillity is the primary goal these days) Thinking of 70lb on saturday. Tri strength still low but again seeing improvments. Last night was the first time I could sleep on my left side with no pain.

Note to myself.... stay the course, don't rush it, slow and steady, A little forward progress is a hell of alot better then backward.....

ken

kmatt42
02-04-2004, 05:19 AM
I am still seeing an improvement. I need to be carefull to take it slow. DO NOT want to go backward. Did another full body workout today. Bench was again 60LB 2x15 but felt light and very stable (stabillity is the primary goal these days) Thinking of 70lb on saturday. Tri strength still low but again seeing improvments. Last night was the first time I could sleep on my left side with no pain.

Note to myself.... stay the course, don't rush it, slow and steady, A little forward progress is a hell of alot better then backward.....

ken

kmatt42
02-13-2004, 05:12 PM
I finnaly saw my primary care doc.
He has schedualed a EMG for thursday. I know the therory of nerve conduction and all that but not much on the acual process. Has anyone had one? please give details. I can;t find much on the web.

THe doc also feels it is something in my sholder not a pinched nerve. HE also did not sound to excited about a Ciropractor.

Still little strength in my pec and tri.
I am just hoping to get answers to better direct my rehab.

Ken

goatscrot
02-13-2004, 10:52 PM
....scheduled a EMG for thursday....Has anyone had one? please give detailsI had one a few years back when I hurt my back. Basically they'll send some electric currents (feels like a minor shock) down a few specific nerves and measure the speed and conduction. They'll also likely place a small needle in a few specific muscles (likely the pec and tri/biceps in your case) and measure their contraction strength. All of this material collected will allow the neurologist or physiatrist to deduct where your nerve injury is (if indeed this is the source of your problems)...and how severe it is or isn't. Hope this helped.

kmatt42
02-14-2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the info
Just want to find out what is going on and set a course.
I will update when I get more info....

peace

kmatt42
02-20-2004, 05:13 AM
I did have my EMG yesturday. Only 15 needle sticks.
Bottom line - nerver conduction is good.
Muscle responce abnormal for tricept, chest, inside portion on forearm and very
slight in sholder.
Nerologist said no disk issues. damage is further down the line. Not Thorasic
Occlusion syndrom, not that far down the line. It happend somewhere inbetween.
THere is injury to the center bundle of the Thorasic nurve bundle (He said
there are 3 small nerver bundles in the Thorasic nurve bundle).
There is some conduction to all the affected areas so there will be no permanent
damage. "OVER TIME" I should be fully recovered. He will be
recommending Physical Therapy to my primary care Doc. I should be seeing him in
about 2 weeks.
Now I know and I am much happier now that there is no permanant damage. I can
now work on my recovery.
I have to keep telling myself, take your time, this will not happen over night,
DO NOT re-injure yourself.....

goatscrot
02-20-2004, 06:06 AM
I'm glad it doesn't sound too serious. Just hang in there and remember to take things easy for awhile. It'll be worth it and better for you in the long run.....

steviee@steviee.com
10-11-2010, 02:26 PM
I had two disks( C-4,5 and C-6,7) pressing on the nerve. I was out for 3 months with severe pain. I got an MRI and doc showed me the bulges. I tried everything under the sun to get better but the cortisone shots worked! I do have atrophy in the left pec, triceps and delts. And coordination is a little off, but it's slowly coming back online after a lot of cardio and easy strength work on machines. I have also been consciously using my left arm more to bring it back and it's slowly working. It takes a while after you get that injured but you can heal!!

Steve

-=FLEX=-
10-11-2010, 02:29 PM
It takes a while after you get that injured but you can heal!!

Steve

Well it's been 6.5 years.

I wonder if he's healed yet? :D

-=FLEX=-

Corbi
10-11-2010, 04:14 PM
steviee@steviee.com

Wow, 3 years and finally posts.

I had two disks( C-4,5 and C-6,7) pressing on the nerve. I was out for 3 months with severe pain. I got an MRI and doc showed me the bulges. I tried everything under the sun to get better but the cortisone shots worked! I do have atrophy in the left pec, triceps and delts. And coordination is a little off, but it's slowly coming back online after a lot of cardio and easy strength work on machines. I have also been consciously using my left arm more to bring it back and it's slowly working. It takes a while after you get that injured but you can heal!!

Steve

Going to see a specialist next monday, broke my 3rd vertebrae when I was 19. Dr's think that's whats been causing my recent issues now. Constant headaches, arm going numb followed by shooting pains, etc.

badrooster
10-11-2010, 04:47 PM
lmao, I guess you beat me to the punch guys, No further comment.

frankb4u
09-07-2012, 06:26 AM
On December 22, 2003 while doing my final set of flat bench ane then there was a click in my back and my right arm went numb (I was on a BowFlex so no bar to fall on my head). Sever pain shooting down my right arm, shoulder and pec. Went to my Chiro, pinched nerve (F%#K). I have seen him 3 days a week ever since. I am 90% pain free but I still have limited coordination and strength, and worst of all yesturday I finnaly noticed atrophy in my shoulder, tri and a lot in my chest. There is acually a dent in my right pec. I have called my GP (need him for any referals) and made an appointment, for what I am not yet sure.
It has been 5 weeks and 2 days. Should there be that much atrophy? Anyone ever have this?
I will be seeing my Chiro tonight and talk with him, but right now I am freaking out.

Thanks
Ken

I have the exact symptoms but my "injury" happened while sleeping. When I turned from one side to the other I felt a sharp pain and my right hand and part of my forearm went numb. Went to the Dr. ad they gave me a shot of Toradol and Dexametasone and asked to take Iboprof. and Prednisone -nasty- for a week. I suffered with almost all side effects of prednisone and with the withdrawal too. I am starting after a month to recover but have little strenght on my right tricep and reight pec.

I was wondering after so many years what was your outcome.

Thanks

MickeyZemski
04-20-2016, 04:17 PM

Thanks
Ken This is a new reply to an old post, I hope it finds you. I was wondering how you recovered from your muscle atrophy, I have the exact same problem and its freaking me out.

JimmyJonny
04-20-2016, 07:35 PM
This is a new reply to an old post, I hope it finds you. I was wondering how you recovered from your muscle atrophy, I have the exact same problem and its freaking me out.

I'll respond to this because there aren't many people that go through this.

What exactly to you want to know ? I'm just over a year into my recovery.

MoeB
05-23-2017, 09:39 AM
Yes atrophy is normal in pinched nerves. I had my spinal cord pinched and bone spurs growing in to my left arm nerve branch, not sure what it is called, oh yeah Cervical spinal stenosis as well as cervical herniated disc.
I had to have part of my rear spine bone removed (Laminectomy) from C3 thru C6. My left arm Bicep, Front Delt and Brachioradialis muscle (forearm) deteriorated to nothing over 8 months. My left are looked like an 80 year old mans arm that had not eaten in 3 months. This was a 17 months ago. I just started going back to the gym in Feb 2017. I have gain some strength back but it is taking some work on my part. The Dr. said it would take 18 to 24 months for my nerves to heal, so that is why I waited so long. I have increased doing 3lbs curls for 1 rep to 10 lbs 3 reps....And I do a lot of negative multi joint work to force those muscles to work....Hang in there man and work hard...It will come back, just takes time. BTW I just turned 50 so if I can do it so can you!

Spindeln
11-19-2018, 03:02 AM
I know this is an old post but curious to know if anyone here who had this suffered weakness only in benching. I think I have a pinched nerve (not seen GP yet) but testing out what I can do today I'm only having a problem with bench press or dumbell press on the side affected. Everything else seems strong still. Is this usually how it goes?