PDA

View Full Version : Humerus + glenoid

twentyfive
04-08-2007, 06:36 AM
I wonder if anyone else had this sort of injury before, and what sort of physio would be best.

Normally, when a person raises his arm upwards, the head of the humerus bone rotates about the glenoid socket, a simple ball-and-socket motion.

But since my injury (shoulder dislocation), when I now try to raise mine, the head of the humerus actually moves upwards rather than rotating about the glenoid. Looking at the mirror, it looks as if I'm doing a shrug each time I raise my arm.

My first physiotherapist has no clue what to do with me, and I'm now trying to find a second therapist. Meanwhile, does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

oziem
04-08-2007, 06:53 AM
gh injury adjustment is so common (I have had one). The adjustment has been document by Hippocrates and the procdeure is the same today. A competent chiro should be able to help you. Once you know the procedure and how it should feel you could do it yourself.
Elbow is pulled high and tight to the ribs the upper arm is inserted superior and posterior into the fossa.
There are several good posts on rehab exercises to follow.
A good warmup and strengthener of the GH joint is the Codman exercise. Light dumbbell hangs by side. Thumb toward your hip. Slight and slow circles as the DB just hangs there by your hip.
Hope the info helps you.

Not a prescription just some free advice.

Dr. O

oziem
04-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Once there is a frank dislocation you definitely need to follow closely with your PT or chiro for rehab. The thing can pop out easily again. The broomstick, codman exercise and the rope pull exercises are gold for strengthening a previously set/adjusted disclocation.
BUT FIRST you must rule out a disc problem. 90% of the time there is a T3 disc sprain/hernaition involved and it should be adjusted to insure proper nerve supply to the GH for healing nutrition. If your back/neck are trashed all the PT in the world will only go so far on the shoulder.

Hope this helps.

twentyfive
04-08-2007, 07:06 AM
so by doing the codman exercise, i might be able to get my humerus bone to rotate properly?

my current therapist is telling me to press my shoulder down whenever i raise my arm, so that i can "force" the humerus bone to stay "down" and rotate "normally". but that's not really working. my bone just keeps moving upwards, and I'm getting bruises on my shoulder trying to press it down.