PDA

View Full Version : Problem with just eating when you start to feel hungry

BlueEyedAngeLuv
04-07-2007, 11:53 PM
What are main issues with just eating when youre hungry?

The body usually signals you when it needs something or if something is wrong so why not trust it that when its hungry you feed it

I know there are many answers but for me it works OK just eating a lot of meals and calories but only when im hungry

saves time + good for lazy ppl too :)

BlueEyedAngeLuv
04-08-2007, 01:11 AM
anyone?

sandiegoguy
04-08-2007, 01:17 AM
I believe that the main issue is that if you only eat when your body signals that you are hungry you will naturally eat more then if you eat every 2-3 hours (eating smaller portions). The hunger that we all feel is our body's way of getting us to seek out food and in the past when humans hunted or gathered for food people would have eaten as much as they could, the body would then turn the excess into fat. This makes sense if, for example, you don't know when you will be able to eat next because your body can use its fat stores for energy when food is scarce.

Of course in our modern society things couldn't be any more different than this as we have access to food whenever we want, if we base our eating times off when we are hungry (as many people do) your body will be just about guaranteed to store more fat then if you eat more frequently throughout the day.

mikeyc1972
04-08-2007, 08:41 AM
I try to not actually ever get hungry,as too always stay anabolic. When I wake up Im starving so I have a MRP immediately. I usaually eat an egg based meal not long after that. If you manipulate your macros and daily calories you can eat all day long and lose fat& gain muscle. It just takes a little trial and error and alot of discipline. Although I never get hungry,I never allow myself to get completely full either.I always know when to step away from the table...In 3 months ive went from 235 lbs at 25%BF to 228 at 15% bf.

BlueEyedAngeLuv
04-08-2007, 09:27 AM
I try to not actually ever get hungry,as too always stay anabolic. When I wake up Im starving so I have a MRP immediately. I usaually eat an egg based meal not long after that. If you manipulate your macros and daily calories you can eat all day long and lose fat& gain muscle. It just takes a little trial and error and alot of discipline. Although I never get hungry,I never allow myself to get completely full either.I always know when to step away from the table...In 3 months ive went from 235 lbs at 25%BF to 228 at 15% bf.

cool do you count your calories and plan out all your meals?

i havent been and things have been going pretty well i must say

also for the rest of you guys do you all track calories? i really would prefer not to as up till now its easier to eat a meal or two out (healthy) and have shakes and only a couple meals i made myself and not worry about tracking/planning calories

Rootus
04-08-2007, 09:28 AM
I think that if you are adept at recognizing actual hunger, and you immediately seek to rectify the situation with a nutritious meal, then it could be a great way to go.

As with everything I expect it depends on your relationship to food. If you have a history of eating when you are not hungry, and in turn eating too much, then waiting until you have a bit of hunger may be a way to maintain control. It certainly works that way for me. As long as I am not ravenous, then I find that a touch of hunger makes me more responsible with what does go in my mouth.

BlueFenix13S
04-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Some people can have success without counting calories. Personally, tracking everything and timing it all almost drove me to an ED, so now I just eat 6 meals a day, centered around protein, more carbs in the AM, and more fat at night. I don't really like the feeling of having to eat by the clock, so I know where you are coming from. I just keep my meals a little smaller so I'm hungry a little more often.

gfundaro
04-08-2007, 11:11 AM
I count calories and macros, but if I'm super-starving, I'll eat something small like a 1/2 a Tbsp of PB to feel sated. I also drink a lot of water to make sure I'm not just confusing thirst with hunger. If I'm still hungry after I've had my water and waited a bit, I know that my body is telling me something, but I never eat t o feel full, I just eat so my tummy isn't hurting.

zer00
04-08-2007, 12:05 PM
That also doesn't work with people that have eating disorders...

If I only ate when I was "hungry" then I'd only get hungry 2 times a day and only eat about 1000calories... Not kidding either.

I find that forcing myself to eat more now is actually increasing appetite alittle bit, don't know it will ever be normal.

mikeyc1972
04-08-2007, 06:53 PM
about once a week i plug in my day to my fitday.com acct and see where Im at..I eat pretty much the same foods week fter week so i have a good idea how many cal,macros,etc. I plan my meals and take a cooler of food with me to work. I work in outside sales so i can eat pretty much when i want. I just eat my food cold(wish my car had a microwave-pimp my ride?)LOL if you read Alan Aragons threads about nutrient timing, and get enough protein,the rest should come easy if you eat cleanly.