PDA

View Full Version : Bad Ankle Injury

honez
04-07-2007, 11:42 PM
I rolled my ankle really bad in a basketball game 7 weeks ago. I stepped on someones foot, felt it pop, and the foot stayed rolled out when I collapsed until I was able to get back on my feet. It swelled up huge, nice coloration, all that good stuff.

So I did the whole RICE regime for a couple weeks until it got better and didn't start playing ball until 5 weeks after the injury. It's 7 weeks now and I'm still experiencing pain on the inside of the ankle around the talus (the "ball" on the inside of the ankle). The pain and especially tightness starts towards the front of the talus and runs up maybe 2 inches up the inside of my shin and usually get a loud crack/pop at the area everytime I raise my ankle as high as it can go.

The best explanation of when it hurts is when its really stretched such as when I do sitting calf raises...when I complete a rep and let my ankles sink off the platform, it feels like a very painful stretch/tightness and my foot physically won't bend like it should.

So, any advice? Sounds to me like some stretching could help. I tried the towel stretch around the toes but not much help.

BradleyS
04-08-2007, 12:37 AM
hit up a doctor

I'm not doctor, so I don't know how serious the injury is. However, I can tell you 7 weeks is no where near long enough to heal an injury like that. I rolled my ankle and cracked a fifth metatarsal jan 6th and I can still feel it in my foot.

If the pain is coming from there, it could be a fairly bad injury that you are neglecting getting fixed, and if it heals improperly, you could experience pain/discomfort and lack of flexability for the rest of your life.

i'm not trying to sound like a jackass, but why havn't you talked to a sports med doc?

psychowolverine
04-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Probably nothing, but you should see a dr if this pain is still lingering.. I have been through so many of these, I have lost count. I am afraid to walk in my yard because of all my ankle injuries. Typically, a real bad sprain of the ankle, could, and probably will take a full year of injury free time to fully heal.. You really stretched all those ligaments in there. If you continue to play anything like that, you need to get those lace up ankle braces.. They are life savers.. I have used them to play basketball and they have saved my ankle a few times. I just sprained mine 2 months ago, and it just started feeling pain a free a few weeks ago..

oziem
04-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Talus is still out of joint. Get it set. Done. It wouldn't hurt if it was in its place.

Just sayin...

honez
04-08-2007, 09:29 AM
I apologize that I forgot to mention I did have it X-rayed a few days after it happened and they said everything looked fine.

StalloneD
04-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Yea I know how that is. I play Rugby and I had my ankle rolled really hard about 5 weeks ago. I went to the doc and they told me that it was perfectly fine only thing that can heal it is time and rest. Just do stairs or a stairs machine you just got to strengthen it up as much as possible, I am able to run on it for only a period of time before it really starts buggin out again, try not to put excessive amounts of pressure on your ankles all at once try it in small amounts and work it up again, try jump roping, seriously try some stairs tho that should help.