PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder pains (a possible prevention)!

boomster
04-07-2007, 08:12 PM
This might be of use to some people that are experiencing shoulder aching etc during the bench press.

After going heavy on this exercise I found that my right shoulder hurt (anything from a dull ache to a sharp pain). My form is correct but i have found that i was lifting the barbell from a too low starting position, this caused problems when I re-racked it as I found myself semi relaxing the shoulder and taking the weight on it. I now have the bar racked higher (only just under arms length) and the problems have gone.
It sounds kinda obvious but I didnt origonally have the bar that low just approx 2 inches from this new position!

So I'm just throwing this out there, if anyone is having similar problems check your starting/finishing position. A spotter would help this matter but I train alone at home.

The Big Texan
04-08-2007, 01:05 PM

dexterium
04-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Yeah, lower the bar to about your nipple line. Do not have your elbows flared out, have them slightly tucked in. Lower the bar to a few inches above your chest. Dumbbell bench press is safer. If your shoulder pain is consistent, look into USPLabs Super Cissus RX and it should help out. Also look into some glucosamine and fish oil for lubrication. Good day

TheDonMega89
04-08-2007, 09:18 PM
ive had slight shoulderpains while benching for awhile. I figured it was just because my shoulders were real weak. but i never thought it could be the starting height of the bar. Ill try moving mine up a notch next time, thanks a lot.