PDA

View Full Version : labrum tear

jkidd12
01-27-2004, 09:50 AM
i jsut got an MRI, turns out i have a partially torn labrum. will they need to do surgery? i play baseball and its my throwing shoulder, am i done for the season? any help would be great. thanks

amusclehead
01-27-2004, 09:56 AM
ask ye old sport's doctor.

wantmoresize
01-27-2004, 10:39 AM
I had surgery for this a year ago and it is working well--although I think I did it to my other hsoulder now YIKES--no health insurance!!!

scott_donald
01-27-2004, 11:15 AM
this is not something to be taken lightly ask a doctor...

bp140321
01-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Well man i wish you luck with it. But yeah you should be done for the season unless your Ortho is a moron and lets you continue to play. I tore mine my senior year in highschool pitched through my freshman year in college but lost about 5mph on velo. So definately get it fixed. Surgery kinda sucks but i'm 4 months out now and have minimal to no pain and i'm back to lifting. But it sucks cause i lost 20 pounds while i wasn't lifting.

modious27
01-27-2004, 03:41 PM
i tore my labrum last year and had to have surgery...it took me 4 months before i was cleared to play lacrosse again and i'm telling you that you have to be strong throughout the process so make sure you keep your head up...i dont think i started lifting weights until 3 months after surgery but the physical therapy is the toughest...no matter how much you lose, just rememeber that you'll get it all back, you just have to be patient and LISTEN TO WHAT THE DOC TELLS YOU!!! Forget about this season and get it fixed cause it might come back to haunt you if you dont.
good luck

AreWhatYouEat
10-07-2010, 06:40 PM
i tore my labrum last year and had to have surgery...it took me 4 months before i was cleared to play lacrosse again and i'm telling you that you have to be strong throughout the process so make sure you keep your head up...i dont think i started lifting weights until 3 months after surgery but the physical therapy is the toughest...no matter how much you lose, just rememeber that you'll get it all back, you just have to be patient and LISTEN TO WHAT THE DOC TELLS YOU!!! Forget about this season and get it fixed cause it might come back to haunt you if you dont.
good luck

Had surgery on christmas eve last year and i was completelly healed after six months but my shoulder continues to pop. i also tore my other shoulder so i have a whole mess of problems

santino1
10-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Had the same thing, needed five anchors to repair it...its a pain in the ass but get the surgery. I'm about 5 months out and feel pretty good but still have soreness. Doc told me no lifting for 6 months, i guess each doctor is different. Mine is pretty conservative. Go slow, don't rush it and make sure you have a good physical therapist.

JCTWP46
10-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Ive torn both my left posterior labrum and my right posterior labrum. Sucked pretty bad but my shoulders are great now with only a minor pop every once in a while.

Dukamaximus007
12-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Tore my left labrum some time ago and had surgery April 2008. The surgery wasn't all that bad. I was in a sling for about 4 weeks before I was allowed to start rehab. By July I was able to at least canoe down the river. Tore my right labrum (SLAP tear) April 2010 and had surgery on it a few days before Thanksgiving. This surgery went even easier than the first, but still in a sling for about 4 weeks. Go back towards the end of December to possibly start rehab. Ever since I've had the left one done I have had no problems at all (knock on wood). So we'll see how the right labrum goes. From what my orthopedic told me the only way to completely fix a labrum is surgery due to the lack of blood flow in the area. I've never regretted having the left one done and hope the same holds true for the right.

AshkanT
12-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Labrum Tears won't heal on their own (regardless of whether or not it is Posterior/Anterior/Full length which you did not include) so its inevitable you will need surgery.

You could try your best to strengthen your rotator cuff and your Shoulders to relieve pain, but realistically, as a baseball player you are going to tear it more and more seeing as its your throwing shoulder. If you have a huge game/tryout or something coming up you could always get a cortisone shot which will reduce inflammation (but not heal the cuff). It will alleviate pain associated with the swelling but thats about it.

I suggest you start doing rotator cuff strengthening excercises pre-op. You will lose ALOT of strength post-op, which is why its beneficial to strengthen these before hand.

As much as I want to tell you you aren't done for the season, it would be cruel to give you false hopes... Labral tears (or any shoulder tears) take a fair amount of time to heal. It is important however to amke sure you do it right.

Best of luck m8

seriouslifter
12-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Ive torn both my left posterior labrum and my right posterior labrum. Sucked pretty bad but my shoulders are great now with only a minor pop every once in a while.

wow bad luck huh. i got labrum surgery on my right and my left one is finally bugging after sometime. i really am thinking the left one will need surgery sometime. how does this happen both shoulders :(

hellboy27_87
12-27-2013, 08:27 PM
good luck

Well said brother...