PDA

View Full Version : busted biceps

Mycophage
04-07-2007, 12:15 PM
argh. i just broke into doing the 50lbs dumbbells for curl sets, did 4 sets of about 4 maybe 10 days ago, but since then i've tried to do that exercise, and both my biceps have hurt to much to complete the reps. it doesn't feel like i damaged the tendons (which i did earlier this semester, too. GD.), the pain is fairly sharp, right in the muscle belly. i can't complete a full rep with my left arm, and even when i drop the weights back down to 40, it still feels like i'm gonna do more harm than good.

what's frustrating, i have no problem with my lat exercises (using biceps secondarily), and rack the machine for rows, and lat pull downs.

i'm DYING here, i gotta keep working my bis, they're my best body part, and can't afford to lose any size....right now i'm thinking of just avoiding bi isolating exercises until they feel better, i hope you guys have better suggestions...

new2lifting
04-07-2007, 12:31 PM
i'm DYING here, i gotta keep working my bis, they're my best body part, and can't afford to lose any size....right now i'm thinking of just avoiding bi isolating exercises until they feel better, i hope you guys have better suggestions...

Direct bi work is not a mandatory thing

If you can work your back, then be thankful, and lay off the bi work

I doubt you will notice much difference in your arms

you are a lean 6'0, 242 pounds
I doubt your dedicated bi work has anything to do with your strong muscle base

BattleHymns
04-07-2007, 03:42 PM
I dont mean to call you out on this but at 6'0 242 lbs and 17" arms how does 50 lb dumbbell curls **** up your arms that much? I got thin biceps only like 13.8" (really small joints) and can do 50's seated for reps. (awesome squat btw)

its probably just some tendonitis or something.

Mycophage
04-08-2007, 10:01 AM
dude, you tell me!!!!! it's KILLING me that i can't do bis right now. i do 4 sets of 6 reps, no BS using my back, or swinging or anything. i also have very long arms..maybe the leverage on my muscles is just bad? kudos for being able to do 50s with small arms, that's seriously ridiculous. i go to a school of about 1400 people, and i'd say under 25 people can do curls with 50s and correct form.

it's weird, i didn't feel anything pulling or tearing last time i worked bis, and it doesn't hurt in my day to day activities, but when i try to isolate i can feel there's some damage...

BattleHymns
04-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Its weird I can do it with back supported and all but the thing is my arms have grown nearly 4" in the past year and 8 months and gained 50 lbs on my small frame so it took alot of extra muscle to get stronger. Do you do a slow negative or just let the weight drop fast cus I got bicep tendonitis from falling off of a box while doing calf raises on a smith machine awhile back and the weight really jerked my arms, was so painful I couldn't do curls or pullups just rows and if I used any force with my arms they would just get all inflamed and hurt so bad. I had to just lay off for awhile but it went away.

dexterium
04-08-2007, 03:13 PM
That sucks man, lay off the bi work for a while. Biceps are not a muscle that you should be trying to do low reps on like that, in my opinion. Anyway, as far as healing the injury, look into USPLabs Super Cissus RX; it should help with tendon problems.