PDA

View Full Version : Need Help/ how to keep weight while injured

kieljohnson007
04-06-2007, 06:03 PM
I hurt my shoulder bad a few weeks ago. And have not been able to work out I am gaining body fat and losing muscle 8 pounds to date. I had a shoulder surgery two years ago and was in a sling for about four months and couldnt work out for another six. During this time I went from 215 to 175 and gained body fat. I worked my legs today and it kinda sucked (couldn't squat) and I have been running alot 4 1/2 miles twice a week and three miles three times a week. I'm eating right lots of low glycmec carbs and lots of chicken and lean beef. I am still taking 60 grams of protien a day but I need serious help I have heard supplementing creatine while injured helps prevent muscle loss. I'm getting an MRI done monday but I'm pretty sure its just a small tear in the ligament so I should be back in the gym in four to six weeks and I know I sound like a pussy but I'm not going to risk it and work any upper body. PLEASE if you have any ideas or advice Please reply I really dont want to lose twenty to thirty pounds of muscle while on the injury list.

flangmasterj
04-06-2007, 06:29 PM
I am still taking 60 grams of protien a day

There's your problem. A field mouse consumes more protein than you. Try and consume roughly 1g of protein per pound of body weight per day.

kieljohnson007
04-06-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm sorry for the confusion I consume about 150 grams of protien a day through tuna, lean beef, and chicken. Should I still be consuming a gram per pound while not lifting intensly? will that perserve muscle or just be excess calories turning to fat?

slaydox
04-07-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm sorry for the confusion I consume about 150 grams of protien a day through tuna, lean beef, and chicken. Should I still be consuming a gram per pound while not lifting intensly? will that perserve muscle or just be excess calories turning to fat?

For you i would take in 1.5g per lb just because you dont want to loose lean mass. Keep your protein high, take L-Glutamine to, itll help preserve muscle mass.