PDA

View Full Version : Labrum tear (SLAP)

Green Thumb
04-06-2007, 03:26 PM
My MRI results confirmed that I have a labrum tear, SLAP Type II, injury. My Ortho DR said I need surgery. I am going to schedule the operation ASAP.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I have not lifted upper body for 6 weeks and have already lost 12lbs already (but I am eating super clean at maintenance calories).

For those who have been through this surgery:

What did you do to get through the down time months?
Did you loose a lot of weight/muscle?
What was the physical therapy process like?

Thanks

kieljohnson007
04-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Not sure if you had the same surgery that I had. Mine was a few years ago it was an open shoulder surgery with a plate implated to hold ligament to my scapula and multiple anchors for tendon damage. Kept me out of the gym for 10 months (six months with left arm in sling). I lost a little over 40 pounds but I had no idea at all how to maintain muscle back then. Good news though pt was very painful but very effective and I gained the weight back quick total in a year and a half I put on near sixty pounds. Bad news be very careful not to stress your shoulder after surgery I recently just tore a tendon in mine. I cannot stress enough listen to your body if your shoulder hurts dont work your upper body or you will pay as I have. Good Luck To You

owned4u
04-06-2007, 06:45 PM
I got shoulder surgery, i had a minor labrium tear. It makes for a good time to hit the legs hard :-D ... I still did light cardio such as walking(and eventually jogging), but kept up my calorie intake so i did not loose much weight(10lbs at MOST). I didn't go through any physical theropy. I went through PT before surgery and could do all the things they told me to do with those stretchy band-like things at my house.

Buff_Daddy
04-06-2007, 07:54 PM

Thanks

Hi,
I am 6.5 months post op from this surgery

To be honest there wasnt alot of 'down time' months... i was glad to just have it fixed that i didnt even care about the temporary atrophy. It is only 6 weeks before you can start physical therapy and 3 months before light weights and swimming... and the time flies fast.

However, once you start it, physical therapy takes quite a while... you will need patience.. It may take 9 months before you can be pushing the weights really hard. It is a very gradual process.

My operated arm atrophied quite a bit during the 2 months post op.

Good luck with the op!

Mike

PhoenixBuff
04-06-2007, 08:13 PM
My MRI results confirmed that I have a labrum tear, SLAP Type II, injury. My Ortho DR said I need surgery. I am going to schedule the operation ASAP.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I have not lifted upper body for 6 weeks and have already lost 12lbs already (but I am eating super clean at maintenance calories).

Thanks

Green, how did you do it? I am having some shoulder issues right now and I'm afraid I might have the same problem. However, it seems to get better as the days go by and with ice each night. Just so you know, I had a slight separation of my shoulder back when I was in high school (football 20 years ago) and once while in the Navy (basketball 15 years ago). I didn't start getting serious about weight lifting until about 6 years ago and no problems during that time.

Last week, AFTER I got home after a shoulder workout, my shoulder felt horrible - sharp pain while rotating my arm around. I believe did it this time during heavy military presses on a smith machine but I didn't feel anything when I did it (if I did separate again). I had no problems doing dumbell military presses which I did for nearly 5 years before changing it up to a smith machine - huge mistake!

Would my problem be the same? Or somthing else? I have a history of separations, but it's been a week and my shoulder feels much better, even when I rotate it around and do some rotator cuff exercises at the gym.....it's still sore, but better.

Thanks and best of luck to you man, I hope your surgery goes well.

BradleyS
04-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Would my problem be the same? Or somthing else? I have a history of separations, but it's been a week and my shoulder feels much better, even when I rotate it around and do some rotator cuff exercises at the gym.....it's still sore, but better.

I have naturally large (and loose) shoulder capsels, and a labrum tear. My shoulders (both actually) will subfluxate...or slightly dislocate. Does it feel like it pops out then back in? My left shoulder labrum is not torn that we know of (no mri yet, I don't get any pain...it just will slightly dislocate if I don't constantly work it) but both shoulders subfluxate.

By the way, my arm does not have pain when I rotate it around. When I intially caused the tear a year ago, I couldn't even lift my arm after the bar bounced off my chest. After I was in a sling for 12 or so days, I could rotate it again without pain. I only get the pain when i'm pressing, not constantly. Cardio can annoy the shoulder aswell for me. from my uneducated opinion, it sounds like something different than a labrum tear

Buff_Daddy, what type of surgery did you have? arthroscopic?

40% of my labrum is torn in my right shoulder, so they are going to attempt arthoscopic...if it fails, it will turn into an open shoulder surgery...fun. I was told I will be in a sling for 6 weeks, and back to lifting in 6 months...however I do not know if that was for just artho.

Anyway have any numbness in the arm prior to surgery? If I touch it just right, it tingles and is slightly numb for a few seconds.

Also green...prior to surgery, can you do pulling motions? I can still row and do pulldowns, just no pushing...

Buff_Daddy
04-07-2007, 04:06 AM
Buff_Daddy, what type of surgery did you have? arthroscopic?

40% of my labrum is torn in my right shoulder, so they are going to attempt arthoscopic...if it fails, it will turn into an open shoulder surgery...fun. I was told I will be in a sling for 6 weeks, and back to lifting in 6 months...however I do not know if that was for just artho.

Hi,

I had arthroscopic... hope your surgery goes well...they may need to also tighten your capsule (for example) and can combine the 2 procedures arthroscopically if needed.

Hopefully you wont need open surgery but even if you do , as long as you are fixed it is all worth it... you just cannot go through lifting in pain and with bad shoulders. I tried much longer than i should have.

slaydox
04-07-2007, 09:23 AM
I was incline benching and i was on my last rep and i was struggling real bad to get it up but i pushed and it was going up, well my right arm got it on the bench support but my left arm couldnt and then my shoulder hurt all the sudden but i didnt want to drop the weight on me so i had to lower it. my shoulder hurt, not to bad though. everyday it feels soooo much better but i went to 2 doctors and one of the said i just sprained my shoulder and another one said that i strained my RC (didnt tear it just strained it) and one said 1 week till i can hit the gym and one said 2 weeks though im going to an ortho to get an MRI to make sure i didnt tear anything.

PhoenixBuff
04-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Good luck guys. My shoulder is feeling better, not great, but better.

Green Thumb
04-16-2007, 08:09 PM
WOW... lots of informative responses.....Thanks!

My surgery is scheduled for Mid May... I cant wait to get sliced n diced like a sushi roll! I am so sick of this injury. I haven't lifted for 10 weeks and the pain is still in full gear.

I am positive that this happened from benching heavy & standing military heavy. I was benching 225 as many times as I could every chest day and maxing out once a month. With standing military, I was repping 150. Ya I realize that that is puss weight for a lot of you, but for me, its was progression. Basically, I let my machizmo get to me. My shoulder started hurting and I ignored it trying to push through the pain like some kind of pro athlete... what a joke. Now .... here I am 13lbs lighter like a manorexic biznitch!!! arggggghhhh oK... my bad on venting.

back to topic. I will be honest with yall... I am scarred shatless for this surgery. I realize its arthroscopic, but being put under and maybe never having my shoulder 100% again stinks. Plus all the crap on the net states that the recovery is a slow painful process. I miss lifting/surfing so much.

Throw up some Iron for your little hommie Green Thumb!

AphtaLyfe
04-17-2007, 08:12 AM
I tore my labrum on Feb 20th after putting down a 100lb dumbbell wrong after dumbbell bench. The tear was super minor and I didn't even really notice it.

The next day I went to do jiu-jitsu and I had my arm dislocated unintentionally by a normal lock (not even a submission)

I went to 2 doctors and one said I had a stretched ligament and one said I had a torn labrum.

MRI w/ Arthrogram showed I had a torn labrum anteriorly from 12' to 6'

I had surgery on April 13th, 2007.

My recovery appears to be good so far. I'll be in a sling for 6 weeks.
I have 0 pain when standing with my arm in the sling.
I have a little pain when I lay down on my back to sleep.

I'm also really afraid that I won't get back 100% ROM/Strength.

-Good Luck

sugicalmike
04-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Hey man, I feel for ya... I was cut this summer for my shoulder. I had a labrum tear, a dislocatoin and a syst on my right side (dominant shoulder)

I went in for surgery in early July. By mid August I was out of the sling and was able to let my arm hang free. I also started rehab at this point (lots of stretching and minimal ROM movement). If you haven't seen anyone about rehab yet I suggest you do... and invest in a couple of different exercise bands (from light to heavy resistence). I wasn't able to start lifting again on a regular basis until October, not bad considereing my doctor gave me about 6 months from the date of surgery until my strength was back to normal levels. And I had some slow goings with the lifting... I benched 95lbs for four the first time I got back in the gym, so don't expect to be returned right back to normal right off the back. All in all, just make sure not to push it too hard too soon. Good luck Bro! Let us know how it goes!

FasterStronger
04-17-2007, 10:40 PM
i had the surgery about 9 months ago on both shoulders so i can relate. worst is i had to start college with a sling (it was hard makin friends,m especially with girls) and ya i was in pain i wont lie. but its a differnt kind of pain....like not bad enough u need advil, just is kind athere, but it went away and it takes a long time to get range of motion and strenght....but ya im pretty much back at full strength now!

1. when u loose muscle due to detraining your body can regain it back very fast becuase of muscle memory (however, still make sure u ease back into things!)

2. the most important jumps are to increase your strength on the therabands the PT will give you and understand what your strength at each level entails...so i wat i mean is: i didnt feel comfortable walkin around withoutr my sling in a crowded area until i was at about the blue band....and then the next big jump is your scapular strenght. until your scapula is strong you will get a lot of popping (dont worry it wont be the subluxing popping!) but this will go away once you get your scapular strength back (smooth out everything soooo much as far as rotating your arms)

biggest thing is this paradox: dont be an idiot, be careful when your walkin around and such and dont try to play sports or even horse around until your 100% strength. however, dont baby it so much that you never get your ROM and also dont freak out everytime it might hurt from rehab...its a tough paradox i still deal with lol.

any books you wanna read? freakonomics, classics whatever...cuz i GARAUNTEE YOU that the 3 months of not being able to do much you will get more reading done than you ever will in your life if you want to.

anyways good luck to you all. i pray that everyone can overcome and avoid injury.

sugicalmike
04-17-2007, 10:59 PM
i had the surgery about 9 months ago on both shoulders so i can relate. worst is i had to start college with a sling (it was hard makin friends,m especially with girls) and ya i was in pain i wont lie. but its a differnt kind of pain....like not bad enough u need advil, just is kind athere, but it went away and it takes a long time to get range of motion and strenght....but ya im pretty much back at full strength now!

biggest thing is this paradox: dont be an idiot, be careful when your walkin around and such and dont try to play sports or even horse around until your 100% strength. however, dont baby it so much that you never get your ROM and also dont freak out everytime it might hurt from rehab...its a tough paradox i still deal with lol.

anyways good luck to you all. i pray that everyone can overcome and avoid injury.

Dude... reps to you... I had to start this semester of college in a sling too... talk about making things F*n difficult! Glad to hear you're on your way back up though!

bueller021
04-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Hey Green, I had mine done Feb. 9 07. Full tear of the labrum plus a 5/8 tear in some cartlidge. Did it diving playing softball (sad I know). Played like 4 more games after I did it, it felt fine until the next day. Doctor said 9-12 months recovery time and no softball this summer. Week and a half after surgery I was doing PT. I highly advise anyone to go to a PT that really deals with sports injuries. I told my PT how long the doctor said I would be out and she just laughed. She said I could probably start playing in 3 months once my strength returns. (Last week I played catch for the first time, felt fine). I went in for my post-op and told the doctor what she said. His response, "Well, do you think you will be able to play in 3 months?" WTF! Why the hell you asking me. Right there I started to follow what my PT said and not my doctor. PT sucks but you have to do it. It hurts and you have to do it every day, my PT said 2-3 times a day, I did them 4-5. She said that was fine. I am on week 9 of PT, I probably don't have to go, can do all the exercises on my own but insurance is paying for it and at PT I can get the electric stimulant and ultra sound.
It was my first time being under and it was fine, I didn't feel to bad until the day after. During down time, just really work on your PT. Hopefully Green, you can start it soon after surgery, and you have to look forward to it and do it several times a day. Even though it is painful, just remember every day you are getting better and stronger. I didn't eat very smart, I ate alot of everything and maintained my weight but of course lost alot of muscle, another words put on fat. I am just now allowed to start jogging. If you sleep on your back, put a pillow or two under the shoulder. I slept in a recliner for four nights afterwards, it might sound uncomfortable but it is better than pain laying on the bed. Ask your PT questions, and make sure to wash under your arm pit. your not suppose to raise your arm up but bacteria really builds up.

Green Thumb
04-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Hey Bueller21

Great post... reps 2 U

Are you confident that your shoulder will be close to 100% when fully healed?

How long did you take pain pills for?

Thanks

LatsMakeTheMan
04-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Just today, I was diagnosed with a partial tear of the labrum.

I hurt mine doing Jiu Jitsu. Doc said it will be 4-6 months before I can go back to it. However, she said that the odds are good that I will be at or near 100% after it's all said and done, so I'm just trying to look on that bright side.

Surgery on May 15th.

Green Thumb
04-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Just today, I was diagnosed with a partial tear of the labrum.

I hurt mine doing Jiu Jitsu. Doc said it will be 4-6 months before I can go back to it. However, she said that the odds are good that I will be at or near 100% after it's all said and done, so I'm just trying to look on that bright side.

Surgery on May 15th.

How much weight have you lost?
Same date as mine!

Good luck.

bueller021
04-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Hey Bueller21

Great post... reps 2 U

Are you confident that your shoulder will be close to 100% when fully healed?

How long did you take pain pills for?

Thanks

Yeah, pretty confident. I am getting alittle impatient with the nice weather coming, I want to be really active. I was hoping by now I would be lifting heavier weights. I asked my PT when I could start doing push ups, she said not for another 3 weeks. I only took the pain pills the night of surgery and the next two day. Don't really like taking that crap. I basically just took them at night so I could get a good night sleep and not wake up at 4:00 in pain. Make sure to ice alot, you really want that swelling to go down.

BradleyS
05-05-2007, 10:20 PM
I tore my labrum on Feb 20th after putting down a 100lb dumbbell wrong after dumbbell bench. The tear was super minor and I didn't even really notice it.

I was thinking about this the other day, glad I found your post.

how did you tear it wrong settings DBs down? Is there a "right" way to set em down?

norco_one25
05-06-2007, 12:34 AM
hey , are you guys seeing medical doctors or physio/sports type doctors?

for some reason, in the back of my mind that normal doctors know jack**** about sports injurys etc.

cheers.

AphtaLyfe
05-06-2007, 12:43 PM
I was thinking about this the other day, glad I found your post.

how did you tear it wrong settings DBs down? Is there a "right" way to set em down?

When you put down dumbbells that are heavier than the strength of your connective tissues (cartilage/ligaments..) on dumbbell bench you should put them down by twisting the dumbbell parallel to your body and then setting it down in a reverse hammer curl.

Does that make sense? So don't put them down by just extending your elbows because that puts a lot of extra strain on the anterior side of your shoulders.

Progress Report:

My original surgery was April 13th, 2007. It's now May 6th. (Anterior tear, NOT SLAP)

I stopped having pain during sleep at around 2 weeks post-op

I almost never have pain during the day unless I jerk my arm on accident or bring it back too far.

My surgeon said I could go during the day without my sling, but just try to keep my arm to my side as much as possible. (I opted to continue wearing the sling because I have dumb friends who might try to tackle me or something of that sort)

My PT starts May 15th, I plan to only wear the sling at night and when I go out to the clubs/bars.

End of May I plan to dispose of the sling forever (Bon fire anyone?)

Word of advice for fellow lifters who are getting/have gotton labral surgery.
DO NOT assume that no pain = ok to do that motion.

The labrum has a low density of nerves, so make sure to follow what the surgeon says. The surgeon would know how long it takes to heal a labrum better than a PT. Especially since there are a huge variety of different types of labral tears. Some tear off the bone, some only tear the cartilage, various places that your labrum can tear make for different recovery times.

Arthoscopic shoulder surgeon = 4 years undergrad, 4 years med school, 1-2years surgical school, 1-2 years residency/training

Physical Therapist = 4 years undergrad, 2 year masters (maybe)

Oh yea... my surgeon said I could go back to Jiu-jitsu at 4 months post-op. I plan to return to lifting at 3 months, and slowly build back up...

I weighed 160 and maxed out on bench at 260. Then I hurt myself... such a bummer.

-Hope this helps

Green Thumb
05-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Well.... my surgery was performed on May 15th. The Doctor repaired my torn labrum with a suture anchor (if anyone knows what that means, please let me know). I will be in a sling for 4 weeks. I will be doing passive physical therapy for 3 weeks... then the real therapy starts. My fingers are numb and tingly (Doc says this is due to swelling against the nerve). Just like everyone said, I need to sleep upright. To date, since the injury, I have lost 25lbs. Its hard being a skinny biznitch. I just keep on telling myself "muscle memory". Overall, the surgery was not bad. I am looking forward to recovery.

kevn594
05-21-2007, 10:14 PM
felt my shoulder "tear" in mid August of this past football season. it hurt pretty bad and would die but i slapped a shoulder brace on and played the season. in the end they took an MRI which told me a 360 degree labrum which led to part of the bicep tendon. whatever i did in the season really really tore everything out of my shoulder. they told me if i didnt have such a built up rotator cuff, that i probably wouldnt be able to play again.

i ended up having a 4 hr long surgery with 8 incisions on my shoulder. this surgery was the very end of December after X-Mas. i was very nervous because they told me i wouldnt be able to bench 300lbs again or go heavy until june or july.

i think my surgeon was GREAT plus i just heal VERY VERY fast. i have almost a full range of motion in my shoulder except for where i pull my elbow back (like reaching for the bar behind your shoulders and neck when you squat). i recently worked myself back to about 375lb bench too. i still cant squat due to the fact that i cant reach the bar so i front squat.

just thought id share what happened to me. if you need anymore info or advice PM me. Good luck man

Green Thumb
07-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Well here is my update.....

Its been 2 months since I had arthroscopic surgery to correct my torn shoulder labrum (SLAP II tear). I look like a skinny biznitch!!

Subsequent to the surgery, I have not experienced that much pain. The pain has been mild and annoying. At first, I could not feel some of my fingers, as they were tingling. However, after 5 weeks, I regained all of the feeling back. During the 1st 3 weeks after surgery, my arm was immobile in a sling. This part was annoying as hell, but doable. Using one arm for stuff stunk.

When the Doc cleared me from the sling, my arm was very sore and had very little range of motion. I have been going to physical therapy three times a week and performing various stretches on my own/daily. Today, my arm can bend outward 45 degrees and I can put my hand almost (95%) totally above my head. My arm still feels weak and the Doc told me I wont be able to do a pull up until ~November.

I am still crossing my fingers that the surgery was a success. There really is no way of knowing at this time. My shoulder is very tight and will require constant stretching to regain a solid ROM.

I will post another update once I achieve more progress.

highpower1111
07-23-2007, 01:11 AM
Well here is my update.....

Its been 2 months since I had arthroscopic surgery to correct my torn shoulder labrum (SLAP II tear). I look like a skinny biznitch!!

Subsequent to the surgery, I have not experienced that much pain. The pain has been mild and annoying. At first, I could not feel some of my fingers, as they were tingling. However, after 5 weeks, I regained all of the feeling back. During the 1st 3 weeks after surgery, my arm was immobile in a sling. This part was annoying as hell, but doable. Using one arm for stuff stunk.

When the Doc cleared me from the sling, my arm was very sore and had very little range of motion. I have been going to physical therapy three times a week and performing various stretches on my own/daily. Today, my arm can bend outward 45 degrees and I can put my hand almost (95%) totally above my head. My arm still feels weak and the Doc told me I wont be able to do a pull up until ~November.

I am still crossing my fingers that the surgery was a success. There really is no way of knowing at this time. My shoulder is very tight and will require constant stretching to regain a solid ROM.

I will post another update once I achieve more progress.

Good to hear. I am 3 weeks post op, but i hope i didnt re injure it. I took it out and moved it more than i was told, but didnt do anything particularly bad. It has gotten more sore since i freaked out and leave it in the sling 24/7. Doc didn't seem concerned, but i'm paranoid.

gotspeed22
07-23-2007, 10:09 PM
I had torn my labrum (slap) full tear playing baseball last june, i had surgery end of july and started therapy and all that jazz a month or so later, very gradual, i started swinging, then,hitting a few months later and started light tossing a little after hitting. I lifted lower body tons and just did whatever the doc said i could do upper body wise (not much). The process is very long and kind of depressing especially if you play sports or are real into physical activity. I went from weighing 180 and hit a low of 163, i was pretty cut obviously, haha, but felt absolutely worthless. Around december i started lifitng pretty hard again with no pain really just minor irratation, mostly just my bicep tendon in the front of my shoulder bothered me regularly, however my arm strength baseball wise was real weak still even though i had got alot of strength back. As time went on my arm strength got back to about 80% around May and i got my weight up to almost 190 and this was all during baseball season. However after the season ended i started lifting hard at beginning of summer and taking X-Factor, which i believe lead to my re-injury as my shoulder got super immflamed and got to the point where i could barely throw. I cut that out and that set me back months throwing strength wise. I'm back at it getting my arm strength up and my regular strength is higher than ever and weight is up to 190. Mostly just rememder to take it slow, as the whole time i was in a rush to get back to playing. It's a real serious injury and its better to be safe than sorry. Just keep at it! sorry so long and ****ty typed its late! :)

ghalland
07-24-2011, 09:09 PM
I had shoulder pain and loss of range from a hockey wipeout, so went to the surgeon for a pro sports team you've definitely heard of (but I won't mention, since he seems like a nice guy). On his advice, I got an arthtrogram MRI, and it showed a torn labrum 10 - 2. So he prescribed surgery, and I figured he knew best and was ready to set a date two weeks out. But just to be safe, went for a second opinion and the 2nd doc said that yes, I had a labrum tear, but I may have had it for years and it wasn't my real problem. Instead, he said I had frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) and asked that I give some PT a try. I did, and instead of 3 pins in my shoulder and 10 - 12 months recovery, I had 2 months PT and I'm good as new. The torn labrum is still there, but it creates no pain or loss of range. Taught me that a surgeon is giving you an opinion, not fact. Ask around before you get the surgery. :)