PDA

View Full Version : About giving/receiving advice in this section

Forge3
04-06-2007, 11:42 AM
The advice given in this section is by no means meant to be used as a replacement for that of a physician. please exercise discernment and common sense when giving and recieving information in this forum. Bodybuilding.com does not assume liabilities for any advice taken that leads to injury or agitates a present one.

In most cases injuries are prevented when:

1.) Proper form is utilized.
2.) One is not pushing oneself balls to the wall while sick or suffering from a significant sleep deficit in which case coordination can be impaired and failure occur unexpectedly (IE in bench press etc).
3.) Sudden jerking or balistic movements are not employed in exercises such as barbell bent over rows or any movements that stress the lower back.

This is not exhaustive. Always exercise caution.

nitrored
04-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Good stuff Forge, thanks.

People should warm up too, dont just run in the gym and try to set a PR :D

oziem
04-06-2007, 12:11 PM
If anyone needs advice or opinions on injury care and chiropractic I am willing to assist.

Dr. Oziem

harrisjl
04-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Excellent post Forge...

nitrored
04-06-2007, 12:33 PM
"You feelin nausceous, take some tussin. Oh you broke yo leg, yeah get me the tussin, let me pour it on in there, yeah let the tussin sink in real deep, yeah let it seep down to the bone." -- Chris Rock's momma

Al Swearengen
04-06-2007, 01:05 PM
If anyone needs advice or opinions on injury care and chiropractic I am willing to assist.

Dr. Oziem

You a licensed Doc? and if so many thx as I'm sure more than a few would benefit from your advice.

"You feelin nausceous, take some tussin. Oh you broke yo leg, yeah get me the tussin, let me pour it on in there, yeah let the tussin sink in real deep, yeah let it seep down to the bone." -- Chris Rock's momma

lmao

jwdjrs
04-06-2007, 01:51 PM
You a licensed Doc? and if so many thx as I'm sure more than a few would benefit from your advice.

yanksbgood
04-06-2007, 02:25 PM
x3 that would be great

oziem
04-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Yes I am a licensed chiro (DC) and certified in Gonstead

oziem
04-07-2007, 08:02 AM
Forge is correct in stating that the best prevention for lifting injury is proper form. Controlled movements for peripheral joints (knees, shoulders, elbows, ankles especially) are crucial.
Maintaining strong posture is important on all lifts also.
The spine must be thoroughly locked in a nuetral to slightly extended position under vertical loads (squat and military press) and flat and locked in a bent over position (row and deads and other pulls). Compare Rippetoe and WSFSB descriptions on how to lock the low back on squats. If you do not understand how to lockout, do not squat. If you do, employ the lockout consistently.
Do not underestimate the potential to harm yourself racking and deloading weights either. Watch your form when grabbing and racking dumbbells.
The L5 disc herniation is the number one affliction of lifters across the population; do not become a statistic. If you already have the disc problem, it can be fixed and protected for the future.
Dr. O

EMISGOD
04-07-2007, 04:59 PM
This is an excellent addition to the Forum. Nice work, Forge.

stealth_swimmer
04-08-2007, 01:44 AM
ah a new section! I think it's a GREAT idea to have this section. It should help reduce clutter in the Exercise section as well. :)

SDFlip
04-08-2007, 03:33 AM
Yes I am a licensed chiro (DC) and certified in Gonstead
for all we know, this is just another account created by BOLT. :D

jked4life
04-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Thanks for opening this section Forge.

The regulars have wanted to have this subsection for quite a long time. Kudo's on the move. Hopefully this will open the rest of the exercise section up for "exercise" related topics.

Forge3
04-08-2007, 09:21 AM
I can't take props for opening this section. Ryan gave it the rubber stamp after being continually bombarded by E-mails to do so. Hopefully it becomes a great place for injury prevention and proper care of current injuries.

sixzebra
04-08-2007, 08:01 PM
wow, great new section.

04-09-2007, 05:12 AM
Glad the section was created :D

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=954412

Forge3
04-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Glad the section was created :D

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=954412

It's only because you are a gold member :cool:

oziem
04-10-2007, 05:09 PM
for all we know, this is just another account created by BOLT. :D

If you would like me to describe my credentials and my intentions to help I am glad to do so.

joed
04-10-2007, 10:40 PM
SDF, you make a good point.

Hey, ah, doctor, thou may hast a strong arm, but a description of your credentials is one thing and proof is another. Additionally, is spouting 'advice' on the internet to people you don't know considered ethical for a chiropractor in NC?

Forge, you have PM.

TE
04-24-2007, 02:49 PM
It's only because you are a gold member :cool:

lol.

Great addition to the forums.

Neck Harness LancerV
04-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Would anyone be intrested in a lowerback pain relief thread?

Pnigro
05-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Compare Rippetoe and WSFSB descriptions on how to lock the low back on squats. If you do not understand how to lockout, do not squat. If you do, employ the lockout consistently.

Where can I read this information?

Fresch
05-10-2007, 05:29 AM
Only been asking for this section for...hmm..its so long I forget!!

cSharpDotNet
08-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Hey Dr. Oziem, I have some little problems, it would be very nice of you if you can please answer my problems.
I feel little pain in the middle area of my chest, I think it in the middle bone of my chest, it started when one day I worked a little hard, with intensity, I warmed up quite alot for that workout, n while I was in my last set I felt that little pain, and I left the workout there, wondering what is it, and sometime I feel the sound of click when I try to streatch my chest, last day I stretched my chest a little and that pain was gone???? so is streaching usefull for these kind of pains? and how to prevent these kind of pains?

I also feel litte sounds in my left shoulder, I broke it about 2 years before, and now I feel little click sounds from it? what do I dp? I don't go that hard while working out but these kind of things are preventing me to workout well????

thanks for you help in advance:)

cubear
01-20-2008, 07:09 AM

Dr. Oziem

Hey Doc.

I'm just wondering how come the shoulder horn is not that popular. I have never seen anybody but myself to help keep the rotator cuff in place. It's worked tremendous for me. I'm back on the increase in my chest workouts.

I just want to know if I am a special case or something. Have you ever prescribed this apparatus?

Shoulder Horn is a devise you put on your shoulders to guide your dumbbell movement that helps correct your rotator cuff.

Aimin4strz
01-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Forge is correct in stating that the best prevention for lifting injury is proper form. Controlled movements for peripheral joints (knees, shoulders, elbows, ankles especially) are crucial.
Maintaining strong posture is important on all lifts also.
The spine must be thoroughly locked in a nuetral to slightly extended position under vertical loads (squat and military press) and flat and locked in a bent over position (row and deads and other pulls). Compare Rippetoe and WSFSB descriptions on how to lock the low back on squats. If you do not understand how to lockout, do not squat. If you do, employ the lockout consistently.
Do not underestimate the potential to harm yourself racking and deloading weights either. Watch your form when grabbing and racking dumbbells.
The L5 disc herniation is the number one affliction of lifters across the population; do not become a statistic. If you already have the disc problem, it can be fixed and protected for the future.
Dr. O

Thank you for helping others! It's great that you would be willing to provide your expert opinion! Thank you again!

athleigh
02-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and was trying to get some advise...
...I have had a shoulder impingement in my trapezius for around 6 months now and still do not know the real cause or diagnosis.

I have tried many treatments such as Anti-inflamatories, Osteopath, Sports Massage, Physiotherapy, Accupuncture and using a TENS machine and nothing has worked.

I am a keen weight lifter and athlete. My shoulder pain doesn't hurt during everyday activities, but when I shrug or drop my arm the pain is very deep and painful.

Please...if anybody has any tips or recommendations I would be extrememly grateful..being out of training for 5 months is frustrating as some of you may know!

MountainSong
03-16-2008, 11:25 AM
OK, here goes~~~ I am 64 and over the years have managed to successfully mangle my body. I have had total ACL done on my right knee 29 years ago and still going. A recent ultrasound shows that one of my long bicep has a small tear at the shoulder joint causing a constant pain when I work out. I have spinal stenosis in 3 places in my upper back and 4 bulging discs where the thoracic joins the lumbar spine. So you can imagine. I refuse to give up and quit, especially after learning about Sarcopenia (gradual loss of up to 1/3 on our muscle and strength in our older years) This can begin as early as 50 but accelerates around 65-70. So I work out 6 days a week if I can, doing weights, pilates, exercise bike, dreadmill, and step aerobics.
Aside from wearing a back support, do you have any other advice?
Thanks,
Ashleigh Grace

Our greatest freedom is to discipline ourselves.

phawkhead
03-19-2008, 01:01 PM

Dr. Oziem

I have been starting to get severe fore arm pain from lifting heavy weights. Its definitely not muscular, it feels more of a problem with the bones. It hurts especially after doing an excersise like the barbell curl, particularly when it comes to letting the bar go when i have finished, have to do it really slowly and get a severe aching pain. I used to be able to train through it but i have had to cut short my training session tonight because of it. Anyone any ideas about what may be causing it or if there is a supplement/drug which may help to reduce it. Any comments greatly appreciated.

rgabald5
04-02-2008, 11:43 PM

3.) Sudden jerking or balistic movements are not employed in exercises such as barbell bent over rows or any movements that stress the lower back.

This happened to me, single arm bent over row using 90lb dumbbells. Threw my back out and couldnt work out for like a month. Use less weight and proper form!!!!!

jomio
10-06-2008, 05:39 AM
At last i got this valuable website by searching a lot. From here i can solve my my all problems with my body.
========================================
joms

dallas mortgage companies (http://www.ascotmortgage.com:) general dentistry raleigh (http://www.raleighdentist.com)

FatboysFatter
10-09-2008, 08:43 PM
If anyone needs advice or opinions on injury care and chiropractic I am willing to assist.http://top5choices.com/-pics-/getbig.jpg

Dr. Oziem

I pulled a groin muscle when i did an axe kick, and i think i injured my lower back trying to mock a contortionist and see if i could sniff my own balls... any suggestions?

just jokin' man, relax.

rsrose007
10-21-2008, 08:28 AM
http://lhnweb.info/img/276/h08s1009qoip/smile.gif
Q: How can injuries be prevented?

A: Injuries cause 5 million deaths every year. They are also a leading cause of demand for medical care and rehabilitation services. People of all ages are affected, but some groups are more at risk. For example, for people between the ages of 5 and 44 years, six of the ten leading causes of death are injury-related. The burden of injuries also falls disproportionately on the poor - over 90% of injury-related deaths occur in low-income and middle-income countries and even poor people in wealthier countries suffer much higher rates of injury. Poorer people are at higher risk of injury because they often live, work, travel and go to school in unsafe environments. They also benefit less from prevention efforts, and have less access to high-quality treatment and rehabilitation services.

Injuries can be prevented. There is clear, scientific evidence that injury-related deaths can be avoided and the effect of injury mitigated. In high-income countries, injury-related deaths among children under the age of 15 years were reduced by half between 1970 and 1995. This reduction is attributed to a combination of research, development of data collection systems, the introduction of specific prevention measures such as improvements in the local environment, legislation, public education, product safety, and improvements in the level and quality of emergency care.

To prevent so-called "accidental" injuries (known as unintentional injuries) proven and promising measures include the use of motor cycle helmets, seat-belts and child restraints; separating pedestrians from vehicles; controls on speeding and on drink driving; use of safer stoves for cooking; child resistant containers for poison; and barriers separating children from hazards such as water.

For violence-related injuries (known as intentional injuries), examples of proven prevention strategies include home visitation by professional nurses and social workers; parent training on child development, non-violent discipline and problem-solving skills; pre-school enrichment programmes to give young children an educational head start; life skills training; reducing alcohol availability through taxation, pricing and the enforcement of liquor licencing laws; restricting access to firearms; and multi-media campaigns to promote non-violent social norms. For all types of injuries measures to improve the efficiency of emergency care will assist in reducing the risk of death, the time for recovery and the level of long-term impairment.

healthdiva
11-03-2008, 10:56 AM
http://lhnweb.info/img/276/h08s1009qoip/smile.gif
entire post

Nice advice! Some in the previous page was offering help with lower back problems. I would like to contact that person, does anyone know how?

JDD3637
11-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Nice advice! Some in the previous page was offering help with lower back problems. I would like to contact that person, does anyone know how?

click on their username, then click send a private message

sports^man
11-10-2008, 05:14 AM

Dr. Oziem

hello sir,
i realy need your advice,am working out as bodybuilder and i do jiu jitsu,i have a lots of problems in my shoulders and elbows and some times in my knees and its been long times like this ,and sometimes its stop me to do my workout and my training,sir i realy need your help ,
and thanks
sport^man

woodpens
02-19-2009, 08:14 PM
I workout at home with barbells and dumb bells. Last week, I managed to get a light sprain on my left wrist. I am checking out what I can and cannot do while it is healing. I managed to do some deadlifts, back squats, lunges. I did some close-grip bench presses. I can curl with an underhand grip, but not overhand even using an EZ-curl bar. I know I cannot really push myself on anything with weights. I am doing a lot of ab exercises just to keep burning calories. It is frustrating, but I want to keep rolling while my wrist heals.

Any advice or lessons learned would be appreciated.

matd1212
03-22-2009, 03:59 PM
i pulled my neck today is there anything i can do to make it better???

woodpens
03-23-2009, 09:06 AM
I workout at home with barbells and dumb bells. Last week, I managed to get a light sprain on my left wrist. I am checking out what I can and cannot do while it is healing. I managed to do some deadlifts, back squats, lunges. I did some close-grip bench presses. I can curl with an underhand grip, but not overhand even using an EZ-curl bar. I know I cannot really push myself on anything with weights. I am doing a lot of ab exercises just to keep burning calories. It is frustrating, but I want to keep rolling while my wrist heals.

Any advice or lessons learned would be appreciated.

It has been a little over a month, and my wrist is now almost back to normal. I still have a little trouble moving the bar between shoulder height and below shoulder height with an overhand grip, but everything else is good. Bench presses are not a problem with the wrist. My body fat is continuing to drop. I am relieved that I didn't have to stop lifting while the wrist healed.

gentao
07-14-2009, 06:59 AM
i have a pain going from my back to my lower chest by the ribs. I'm taking motrin and was wondering if stretching would help out at all or if there is anything else i could do.

Marvel89
07-18-2009, 06:42 PM
oziem when you say locking out do you mean not moving your back in the movement or letting it wriggle around your hip joint. for example barbell rows just lean over and let the arms to the work same as tbar rows? is it acceptable to slightly bounce off your knees a bit when tbar rowing for example like a shockabsorber in that effect?

also locking out in a deadlift is this just locking your back posture and pivoting around your hips(straight leg) and should i be doing this all the time as this is how i currently deadlift.

in terms of locking your back on a squat is it acceptable to drive with your lower back (squatting below parallel), or with your pelvis, if that makes any sense?

im always very mindful of my core/groin and lowerback the last two things i want to hurt.

calorier710
03-17-2010, 01:35 AM
Thanks for sharing your idea here. I appreciate your idea, very excellent.

Spoorski
05-30-2010, 09:58 PM
The advice given in this section is by no means meant to be used as a replacement for that of a physician. please exercise discernment and common sense when giving and recieving information in this forum. Bodybuilding.com does not assume liabilities for any advice taken that leads to injury or agitates a present one.

1.) Proper form is utilized.
2.) One is not pushing oneself balls to the wall while sick or suffering from a significant sleep deficit in which case coordination can be impaired and failure occur unexpectedly (IE in bench press etc).

This is not exhaustive. Always exercise caution.

Thanks!

BeeCharmer
08-31-2010, 08:01 AM
thanks for the info.

Kingmarchil
09-06-2010, 12:10 PM
wada

MuscleWarfare
02-16-2011, 08:39 PM
some really good info here thanks

fannoo
09-20-2011, 01:54 AM
nice topic

shivprakash1980
01-08-2012, 07:16 AM

Dr. Oziem

Hello Sir,
I have got a problem for which i need your help/advise. I am age 28. I started strength training with a 2 day split prog. After about 6 weeks of time I started to have pain in my collar bone , shoulder and rear upper back region. Pain persisted for 2 days so I went to see a doctor who advised me to take complete rest and no workout for 1 month (in Oct-2011). I took rest in fact upto Dec 2011, and some medicines as advised by doctor. When In new year I returned and started exercise after 2 days, the pain again re-surfaced, and I did not went since 03-Jan-12. I don't know what to do. Please advise some diagnosis or test or what i can do.. ?
Thanks In advance.
Shiv

andrad01
03-23-2012, 04:06 AM
Its painful for each person when use heavy weight lifting. SO i had found many topics from this form site . Really thanks for sharing this information with us .