PDA

View Full Version : Cutting: Feels Like My strenght went down?

Makram
04-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Cutting: Feels Like My strenght went down?

Can soemone explain this...

I have been cuttign now for a month and losing weight, but my performance at the gym is low, I used to be able to do more now I feel my strenght has went down...

is this normal? what can I do to help it

abergirl
04-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Cutting: Feels Like My strenght went down?

Can soemone explain this...

I have been cuttign now for a month and losing weight, but my performance at the gym is low, I used to be able to do more now I feel my strenght has went down...

is this normal? what can I do to help it

Typically during a cut you will lose strength because your body will either lose muscle or is barely trying to maintain the muscle you have.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=32027031&postcount=2

There's a post in another thread similair to yours.

Trashard
04-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Usually in a cut you are also restricting your diet, which usually means restricting carbs. Less carbs=less energy...less energy=less weight you'll be lifting.
I am currently on a cut and therefore switching my training from my usual 6-8 reps per set to a lower weight and 10-12 rep range. there's no way i could go and try maxing or hit real heavy considering the low amount of carbs I'm eating.
Once i stop my cut I will be eating more carbs, and increasing my weight once my full strength comes back.
It's a matter of adjusting your training to match your current goals/diet

Gizmosbro2
04-06-2007, 10:26 AM
same deal here man, i have just accepted the fact and try to get a really good workout using lighter weight. I switched up my reps, from around 8 - 12 and that has something to do w/ it too. I obviously would have to use lighter weight. I say stay focued on the cut and try to get a good workout and accept the loss of strength for awhile, then just focus on getting stronger again once u start putting on size.

The Brotherhood
04-06-2007, 10:41 AM
If you are losing strength while cutting, you are

a) Cutting for a contest below 7-8% bodyfat, and as fat around stabilizers and joints starts getting shed, balancing the weights becomes a big issue, and your strength will drop

b) Your over-dieting, in too much of a caloric deficit or using stupid macros with not enough protein, and losing muscle and strength

c) Not pushing yourself hard enough. When calories are restricted, you wont feel anywhere near as energetic or strong as you do in the off-season. The keyword is feel. Dig deep down, and keep pounding that weight off.

No other reason to lose strength while dieting.

Dave P
04-06-2007, 11:09 AM

a) Cutting for a contest below 7-8% bodyfat, and as fat around stabilizers and joints starts getting shed, balancing the weights becomes a big issue, and your strength will drop

b) Your over-dieting, in too much of a caloric deficit or using stupid macros with not enough protein, and losing muscle and strength

c) Not pushing yourself hard enough. When calories are restricted, you wont feel anywhere near as energetic or strong as you do in the off-season. The keyword is feel. Dig deep down, and keep pounding that weight off.

x2

The Brotherhood
04-06-2007, 11:47 AM
x2

Just for clarification, this is Dave Pulumbo?

Dave P
04-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Nope.

Just a Dave P that doesnt want his fullname out there :)

Bonebrake
04-06-2007, 11:54 AM

Quoted for the truth and repped.

:)

DividedbyHatred
04-06-2007, 11:54 AM
so adjusting to higher reps while cutting is beneficial? Lower reps when bulking? Currently i do 3s 7r for everything i do (bulking) what should my set rep sceme look like during a cut?

Bonebrake
04-06-2007, 11:57 AM
During cut: 4-5 sets with 8-12 reps per set.

:)

Dave P
04-06-2007, 11:58 AM
so adjusting to higher reps while cutting is beneficial? Lower reps when bulking? Currently i do 3s 7r for everything i do (bulking) what should my set rep sceme look like during a cut?

Short answer? Both.

Dont stick to a single rep range. Utilize them all for success.

The Brotherhood
04-06-2007, 12:12 PM

Train like you would in the off-season.