PDA

View Full Version : Bodybuilding.com is not a substitute for medical advice

mjw8204
04-06-2007, 09:21 AM
I think it would be to the benefit of all parties involved if some rules were laid down in this section. Discussion of injury prevention or how to deal with existing injuries is one thing, but allowing random forum members to attempt to diagnose possible injuries is just asking for trouble, in my opinion. We have enough 16 year old "scientists" in the Supplements section. We don't need them to become sports doctors or physical therapists, too.

Baker19
04-06-2007, 09:22 AM
I think it would be to the benefit of all parties involved if some rules were laid down in this section. Discussion of injury prevention or how to deal with existing injuries is one thing, but allowing random forum members to attempt to diagnose possible injuries is just asking for trouble, in my opinion. We have enough 16 year old "scientists" in the Supplements section. We don't need them to become sports doctors or physical therapists, too.

Good point bro.

EoR
04-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Good point, maybe a sticky with some guidelines and suggestions?

nitrored
04-06-2007, 09:24 AM

Agreed... thanks for posting, I was thinking up a similar post.

I think this could be used as a "once I had a similar problem and I..." type discussion about injuries. I have injuries that I am willing to self-diagnose, and maybe I could use some tips, but I know where my line is with this sort of thing...

I am really afraid someone is going to be seriously hurt, is going to get some bad advice, and will blindly follow it and make things worse. :(

mjw8204
04-06-2007, 09:38 AM
A lot of problems could most likely be avoided if people were limited in the types of questions they are allowed to ask. For example, perhaps a person can be allowed to only ask a question about an existing injury that has already been identified. Otherwise, this section will be bombarded with questions like "Why is my arm/leg/tooth/eye/left testicle hurting?" or "should I work out tomorrow if I'm still really sore?" I don't think these types of questions were what Admin had in mind for this section anyway, but I guarantee they'll be the majority if some rules aren't laid down.

EoR
04-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Just be careful taking advice from Dr. Nick!

http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/G/B/drnick.jpg

Al Swearengen
04-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Just be careful taking advice from Dr. Nick!

http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/G/B/drnick.jpg

Just saw this, good post mjw and lol Eor

Mtguy8787
04-06-2007, 12:14 PM
I have a PHd in sports medicine from miscsection.com, so Im all good to go. :D

But seriously, if you ever go to a doctor about a sports related injury, go to one who specializes in sports medicine. Many people think that a regular physician will know alot about sports medicine, but they don't, unless they have independently studied it on their own.

Just like most dieticians don't know **** about sports nutrition... people still think they do, though.

Ajk_Lpool
04-06-2007, 01:35 PM

But seriously, if you ever go to a doctor about a sports related injury, go to one who specializes in sports medicine. Many people think that a regular physician will know alot about sports medicine, but they don't, unless they have independently studied it on their own.

Just like most dieticians don't know **** about sports nutrition... people still think they do, though.

True.

& good thread btw, important that somebody stated this.

djartek
04-06-2007, 02:32 PM
good thread but it is very sad to think and know that people would take the medical advice of someone over the net as opposed to going to see a doctor, chiropracter, or what not to diagnose their problems.
But then again alot of doctors-bad ones that is-will just prescribe you some drugs to ease your symptons rather then eliminate the sympton causing thing that is going on in your body ;)
I agree this forum should be designed to aid in the information that you have received from a qualified doctor or medical professional rather then some 16 year old kid trying to diagnose your problems through a forum.
Forum should be to help and aid and not to diagnose your problem with out seeing a doctor first.

Forge3
04-06-2007, 02:55 PM
True.

& good thread btw, important that somebody stated this.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2158711&referrerid=314325

PAINKILLA
04-06-2007, 03:06 PM

I just read a recent article , not sure on the exact number, but a rather high percentage of our so called doctors has used "google" for their patients diagnostic reports, i wonder how many where lurking around these boards ?

rockhuddy
04-06-2007, 03:30 PM
word

I'd trust some prevention/prehab techniques around here and maybe some rehab advice, but diagnosing injuries online is pretty sketchy.

JRT6
04-06-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm blessed that my ortho is really into sports and helping people stay in the game. He is also into alternative therapies too so if he says it's time to go under the knife or stop doing somehting, it is the last resort.

The RC workout I do though is a combination of "Shoulder Fix 101"
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drryan9.htm

and a three part RC series on T-nation of which link I will have to post later.

My doctor reviewed both programs and gave me the thumbs up so there is something to be learned here.

absolut_blonde
04-08-2007, 11:31 PM

So, SO true.

In my experience, a regular doctor will basically say 'if it hurts, don't do that' and tell you to rest. Sometimes they will prescribe a topical anti-inflammatory or a muscle relaxant. And that is about the extent of their 'help'. Which is all great... til you go back to doing said activity and the issue arises again because nothing has been resolved.

A good physiotherapist, on the other hand, can be incredibly valuable. They tend to be more experienced in working with athletes (if you go to the right physio, anyway) and will help you work to correct the problem/its underlying cause.

BradleyS
04-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Was going to say...Forge straight up posted in the sticky that BB is not a replacement for a physican. I always add a few sentences on my posts that say "I am not a doctor, this is all knowledge learned from experience, so take it with a grain of salt"

I see no way possible that rules could be laid into this section for who can post and who can not post. Post count is out, as some idiots have the highest....rep system is out, as some of the most educated actualy physicans & chiros don't spend enough time on the boards, and judging users by previous posts is a waste of moderator's time.

Cool new section though

and yes, diagnosing problems/fixes online is sketchy...but cmon...how many people knew about the shoulder broomstick deal :)